• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hello from the UK

74 posts in this topic

And can't remember whos behind comic-biz, but they are pretty out there too (Stateside comics comes to mind)

The absolutely LEGENDARY Paul Sassienie.

Impressive company. Oh, hang on, wrong thread. blush.gif

so what did happen to "Stateside" as a business? Or is that opening a rather large can of worms?

They went under almost exactly ten years ago after expanding too rapidly and opening up concession stores with extortionate rents (i.e. Hamleys, Virgin Megastores).

Initially they continued at East Barnet with their new name - Comicana. Sassienie had dropped out before the implosion to start up his biz. Gold went back to his travel agency (located next door to the Comicana shop in East Barnet). McCalpine and Skoulides carried on with Comicana, then moved to central London. McCalpine left to pursue a T.V. career. The saga continues.

comicana still exists though, right?

Certainly does. Just ask FT!!

He works there? Owns it? Is there deadliest business rival? What?????? 893frustrated.gif

None of the above. He works with them.

Oooh, this is like pulling teeth. He uses the shop? Does marts with them? Buys their overstock? 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

He works there? Owns it? Is there deadliest business rival? What?????? 893frustrated.gif

Oooh, this is like pulling teeth. He uses the shop? Does marts with them? Buys their overstock? 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Calm down, calm down, you'll do yourself an injury.

HE SELLS HIS OWN STOCK IN THEIR SHOP ON CONSIGNMENT BUT DOESN'T WORK THERE, AND DOES MARTS WITH THEM. HE DOESN'T BUY OVERSTOCK FROM THEM. IF YOU HAVE ANY FURTHER QUESTIONS, ASK FT, DAMMIT!!!!!!

Pulling My Hair Out

HE SELLS HIS OWN STOCK IN THEIR SHOP ON CONSIGNMENT BUT DOESN'T WORK THERE, AND DOES MARTS WITH THEM. HE DOESN'T BUY OVERSTOCK FROM THEM. IF YOU HAVE ANY FURTHER QUESTIONS, ASK FT, DAMMIT!!!!!!

Pulling My Hair Out

Now that was easy, wasn't it tongue.gif

FT isn't as omnipresent as you, nor as omnipotent or even omniscient. He may well even be a veggie who forswears public transport.

So how long has he owned Comicana then?

Pulling My Hair Out

Now that was easy, wasn't it tongue.gif

FT isn't as omnipresent as you, nor as omnipotent or even omniscient. He may well even be a veggie who forswears public transport.

So how long has he owned Comicana then?

893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Actually he is omniwhatever. So be careful, FT is watching....

Anyway, regarding the U.S. versus U.K. BSD debate, none of the Brit pretenders are in the same universe as Geppi, Parrino, and co.

Well, just because you're not one of the alpha BSDs doesn't mean that you're not a BSD. Look at the bid that colmoreman just put down on one of Kev's 9.8 Fury's. Not a huge amount, but when the guy wants a book, there's no outbidding him. That to me is a sign of BSD-ness.

Hmmm...

So propensity to exhibit "BSD" is exclusively American? Kind of surprising...

Can the UK contingent be as vulgar as saying how much we've spent on one comic?

I've never exceeded £5000 myself.

Hmmm...

So propensity to exhibit "BSD" is exclusively American? Kind of surprising...

Can the UK contingent be as vulgar as saying how much we've spent on one comic?

I've never exceeded £5000 myself.

He was talking about an English guy as it happens.

So you've never exceeded £5,000 - does that mean you've spent £4,500 on one book? You vulgar BSD you. stooges.gif