• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alternative CGC Service...What If?

15 posts in this topic

Just a thought and was wondering if anyone else thinks it is a good idea. What if CGC were to offer a non-slabbed grading service consisting of a grade and resto check at a reduced price? This would be, to me, an ideal solution to folks that want to keep books in their collection, want to read them but also want to insure a grade and a restoration check.

The only way to prevent bait & switch tactics re graded but UNslabbed books is for cgc to write a serial # on the back cover viewable by UV light. Think Sotheby's used to put dots on the back cover of raw comics to code them as genuine Sotheby's auction inventory bks in case of returns. Then again, anyone w/ some gumption can go on the net & find a source for UV pens & create their own graded but UNslabbed comics. Hard to preserve the condition on raw books mailed back to the owner from cgc grading source. Even fed ex drops boxes.

The only way to prevent bait & switch tactics re graded but UNslabbed books is for cgc to write a serial # on the back cover viewable by UV light

They'd have to make tamper evident bags or something..like if you break open the bag it changes color or something

What I am really getting at is geared to the collectors who want to get books graded and restoration-checked for their collections. I have often read posts from folks who get their books CGCd but not to sell - just to have in their collection. Not for resale etc. Basically an alternative to having the book CGCd then cracking the case.

I can understand the restoration check but it doesn't seem to make sense to have it graded without it being slabbed! It really gives no assurance to a buyer in the event that the owner wants to sell the book because the possibility of a book switch! frown.gif

It really gives no assurance to a buyer in the event that the owner wants to sell the book because the possibility of a book switch!

OK - let me try this again. As I said - not for resale. If a book is gonna be sold the slab is the best assurance. Just as a collector interested in what grade his books are.

OK - let me try this again. As I said - not for resale. If a book is gonna be sold the slab is the best assurance. Just as a collector interested in what grade his books are.

I understand and I agree with you. I don't plan on selling my collection for a very long time - if ever. But I would like to have them preserved the best (and least expensive) way I could. If it were possible to send them to CGC, have them placed in 4m Mylar with the MicroChamber paper AND be graded (to the same standards they use now) I would be a happy camper. (Unless, ofcourse they intend to charge $19.00 for that service then they can hug my nuts.

U can pay me to lock myself in a dark closet w/ your hi-grade comics while I shine a portable black light on it searching cool.gif for color touch or Japanese paper reinforcement. I will charge less than Cgc's fees, but I better buy the rights to www.cgccomicbooks.com web name that was on sale last week on eBay first. grin.gif

U can pay me to lock myself in a dark closet w/ your hi-grade comics while I shine a portable black light on it searching for color touch or Japanese paper reinforcement.

A stalker? You describe some of my techniques....ok - ONE of my techniques - but DO realize a black light is by no means necessary to find Japan Paper (not "Japanese" paper - unless you are talking about a book reinforced by the Tokyo Times!). grin.gif Simple observation of the reflectivity is sufficient for Japan Paper detection.

I am waiting for my 900th post to appear - it is one post away and will get me out of the horrid TALKATIVE appelation. I really want that post to be about something related to GA or pre-code horror or some other thing I find intriquing! grin.gif So I will leave this in limbo until then.

And I wish you a finite!

HEY! I actually DID it! the concerns over the Metropolis Scans and the potential trim was of great interest to me as I have stitched togethermany 11/14 lobby card scans for ebay! And my answer to that got me out of Talkative! Oh Joy! Oh Joy. errr - hmmm - it does not feel as good as I thought. Kind of like 12/26. wink.gif

Please tell me what Japanese Paper reinforcement is.

OK - it is NOT NOT NOT "Japanese Paper" (I feel another 1-star coming on unless already solicited! smile.gif ) It is Japan Paper. Originally Japan Paper was Mulberry (Broussonetia papyrifera) Paper. A very fine, thin tough paper.

Nowadays it refers to very fine, thin and strong papers used in bookbinding and paper restoration. Basically that is the entire explanation. The paper is usually applied with a reversible paste like wheat starch or rice starch paste.