• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Violation of Intellectual property rights"?

223 posts in this topic

Guys,

Just wanted to thank all the posters for their support concerning this issue. For obvious reasons, I can not comment on the nature and extent of the situation but will say that I feel extremely lucky to have a lot of you folks on my side.

Hopefully, soon enough we can concentrate on getting our 9.2 TTA 44's into a 9.4 or filling a hole in our collection, which is what this great hobby in general and the CGC service/forum in particular is all about.

Again, I sincerely appreciate the support and backing you all have shown. I will not forget it (80% discount to all forumites for 3 years!!!).

Doug

I hope that what has been posted here is not true. Has Josh filed a patent on his site structure? Has he copyrighted his idea?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think I'm just pointing on the obvious but...can you copyright ugly?

This is all pretty fun stuff, will be entertaining to see it all unfold.

I'll bust out the credit card for prices like that!

As Doug knows, I already did! acclaim.gif

And I didn't need no stinkin 80% discount (but it woulda helped).

Obviously, Doug, when you get to Florida, I'll do whatever I can to help.

thumbsup2.gif

This is not the first time Josh has tried to "hold down" what he considers to be a potential competitor with what I consider to be unfair tactics. Although I never shared this publicly (just with a few people privately) I too have been on the receiving end. I was restricted/banned from selling, but not buying* on the new comiclink since its inception simply because I confided in Josh that I was working on my own site...

Oh man, that's why he did something similar to me. On the wanted section of his old comiclink system I asked him to post a wanted ad for a specific comic for me (I think I was offering to pay 1.25 x guide) He would not do this and said that anyone would be willing to pay 4-5 times guide for that specific book (even though Metropolis had one on their site for the standard 2 x guide). The ironic thing at the time was that in the wanted section on comiclink there was already a wanted ad offering to pay 90% of guide for the same book. (Now after reading your experience, it is quite obvious he was the one offering 90% guide and he did not want me to outbid him on anyone selling the book. Now that is pretty low.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif certainly not a bad idea Brad... but the board gives so much $$$ as it is.

I'd match you also if a fund is started.

However... NEW Consignments would not only help Doug financially, but will improve the quaity and selection of his site.

Maybe a Consignment Drive would be a better idea?

confused-smiley-013.gif I'm sending over about (20) more books by this weekend. Maybe we should start one?

How many quality CGC books could the forum account for if they felt so inclined?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I haven't read thru the rest of these responses, but I need to make a comment here.

I have met Doug and he is a really great guy. He cares about this hobby and takes a genuine interest in others collecting habits.

I have never met Josh and have never used his site, although I am a frequent visitor.

However, I do not think that it is right to take up a collection for Doug. Josh has provided a valueable service to collectors for many years now. Doug does not need the generosity of forum members to handle this situation. This is a (very) minor "bump in the road" for Pedigreecomics.com.

By taking out the ad, I think Josh has excercised extremely poor judgement. It was in bad taste and does not reflect well on his business.

I think there is more than enough room for many sites that cater to the HG collector. Our hobby does not need this kind of nonsense. But, at the same time, I do not think that it is the responsibilty/right/business??? of this forum to get involved in this dispute. While Bruce's gesture is nothing less than the best intentions, I do not think a 'consignment drive' is necessary or warranted. Josh is not Hammer. He is not a scammer or a thief. We (the forum) do not need to "gang up" on him. Let people decide for themselves. They can consign with Doug, or they can consign with Josh. Neither of these two are the "bad guys".

I'm sorry if I offended either Doug or Josh with this post. It is not my intention.

Guys,

Just wanted to thank all the posters for their support concerning this issue. For obvious reasons, I can not comment on the nature and extent of the situation but will say that I feel extremely lucky to have a lot of you folks on my side.

Hopefully, soon enough we can concentrate on getting our 9.2 TTA 44's into a 9.4 or filling a hole in our collection, which is what this great hobby in general and the CGC service/forum in particular is all about.

Again, I sincerely appreciate the support and backing you all have shown. I will not forget it (80% discount to all forumites for 3 years!!!).

Doug

I just bought something from you. 80% off? Sweet! Send the refund along with my FF 180!

(80% discount to all forumites for 3 years!!!).

Doug

I just bought something from you. 80% off? Sweet! Send the refund along with my FF 180!

893naughty-thumb.gif Not so fast...have you been a forum member for 3 years yet? foreheadslap.gif

Nice of him to offer a fantastic promotion which nobody qualifies for. tongue.gifstooges.gif

Doug

893naughty-thumb.gif Not so fast...have you been a forum member for 3 years yet? foreheadslap.gif

Nice of him to offer a fantastic promotion which nobody qualifies for. tongue.gifstooges.gif

...I'm thinking that was a joke since the forum was started on 01/25/02.... tongue.gif

Doug

Don't mess with an editor!

80% discount to all forumites for 3 years... the 3 years doesn't modify forumites, so I'm right. Where's my check? grin.gif

80% discount to all forumites for 3 years... the 3 years doesn't modify forumites, so I'm right. Where's my check? grin.gif

Yea it was bad grammar. Literally, it does mean he's offering an 80% discount to forumites for a period of 3 years! shocked.gifcloud9.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

That's gonna really screw up the revenues with the 8% consignment fee... tongue.gif

Doug

Sure, you get 80% off, but on the commission on your book submissions! grin.gif

Yeah, but he's gonna raise all the prices 500%. Then the 80% discount gets you right back to the starting prices.

And check this out.

Original Price $100

New Price $500 (but 80% discount)

You Pay $100

The difference is that he only got $8 commission on the Original price but now he makes $40 commission on the new price.

893whatthe.gif

He's sooooooo clever. 893applaud-thumb.gif