• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats the longest run you have/have collected?

112 posts in this topic

I'm still working on my ASM run. I've got 150 to present right now. I'm missing scattered issues down but I have the majority of them. I'm clearly at the pricey point. I'm just trying to get readers of most issues and picking up what I consider the key's graded.

What's with all the 600.1 type issues? Are they variants?

I stopped collecting runs when I completed my Iron Man collection. Every issue (and annuals, and any variants) from Volume 1, 2, 3, and 4. Didn't complete the TOS issues but have a large batch of them (including 39) so it's always a possibility.

The only new 'run' I guess I am technically collecting is the new Prophet series, as I pick up every issue of that since it is pure sci-fi perfection!

Lets see right now my longest runs are:

Avengers (Vol.1) #'s 1 - 402 (Stopped when Marvel had Image take over.)

Captain America (Vol.1) #'s 100 - 454 (Stopped when Marvel had Image take over.)

Thor (Vol.1) #'s 126 - 502 (Stopped when Marvel had Image take over.)

Iron Man (Vol.1) #'s 1 - 332 (Stopped when Marvel had Image take over.)

Right now I am working on finishing off my Fantastic Four's and Action Comics. Again with the Fantastic Four I will be stopping at the point that Marvel pushed them off to Image. Action Comics, realistically I will never have a complete run of them, but right now I have issues 300 - 600 (I am not buying anything past 600).

I don't buy anything new, in fact most of the stuff that I do buy is pre-1985.

Good question. It's Daredevil for me... I was in my early teens when volume 3 came out (Kevin Smith's #1) and started from then. Haven't looked back. Got almost every single Daredevil issue in existence now save for a few stranglers.

Woah. Way more full set-ers than I thought there would be lol.

To the guy on page 1 that I don't want to quote since this is now 5 pages long...Invincible is a really good one. It's the only thing I've read entirely and I already have the most expensive one.

Ok...here's what I'm thinking:

Green Lantern V2, V4, V5...maybe V3, doubt I'll ever afford V1

GL Corps V3

Invincible

Oh boy.

But just to continue the thread...My longest "run" is Watchmen 1-12, and Before Watchmen 1-4/6 on every one and I think the last one comes out next week so that's all 37. Oh Boy.

The only long series I collect in full is Fantastic Four, although I no longer collect it as I don’t care (or better I suffer) for what Marvel is doing right now.

To keep a collection self-contained, a nice idea, in my opinion, could be to start from a storyline or character which you particularly enjoy within a storyline.

For example, if you like the Inhumans, buy FF #41, 44 and so on, then Amazing Adventures (10 issues with them) and the Inhumans 1974 series, etc. and then proceed, skipping if there is some run or writer which you think did not worked with the characters properly. I used Inhumans as an example, since they have had relatively few series dedicated to them.

I'm missing about 100 issues of Amazing Spider-Man 1 - 600. I'm missing about a dozen issues of Daredevil 1-250. I have Groo the Wanderer (Marvel) 1 - 120 which I have kept since they were published. I also have almost all of the Gladstone Disney comics and I bought the early issues new off the spinner(!) rack and have kept them with me ever since. I have a few dozen Timely comics and really, really want more.

Ooo, ooo, I also have all of the Badger related comics!

I strongly encourage you to spend money on whatever makes you happy! Don't go beyond your means but have fun! Funny book collecting may be the archetypical example of investing where your heart is.

Its all good! :whee:

I ask because I got into this thinking I would only get stuff that I liked (linked below) and that my collection would never grow larger than 100-200 books. But now I'm finishing my Before Watchmen set, and I'm trying to find the next thing to collect.

I'm contemplating collecting everything Green Lantern but I don't have the space, and I don't really want to end up with a bunch of moderns, and 90s moderns that I will just have to throw away (despite really enjoying some of the New 52 stuff I've been reading)

So I wanted to start this to try and

A: Have someone convince me to do it, or to not do it.

B: Learn how many people on here collect of something. I'm fairly sure someone on here has Spidey 1-700.

Also searched a couple of things and nothing came up in here.

I'd rather not try to sway you either way, but rather ask yourself what you enjoy. When I first started collecting, I thought I would enjoy keep every issue I ever read and getting every back issue I could. As a result, I had full runs of the first volumes of Avengers, Captain America, Iron Man, JLA, Amazing Spider-Man, and Uncanny X-Men.

Once completed, I found myself wanting and discovered that I enjoy the hunt more than the catch. So I sold my runs a while ago and keep the stories I really enjoy in HC/Omnibus format.

There aren't to many runs which could sustain my interest beyond 100 issues or so. Over time, the quality varies too greatly, and I haven't dreamed of having "every appearance" of a character since I was 14. The longest run I've owned in recent years is around the first 150 issues of the Simpsons, but I grew bored with the title, and have sold much of it off. Currently B.P.R.D. is probably the only run of more than 100 issues I currently own.

With older series, I was about 6 random issues away from a complete FF 1-100 a few years back, but sold it all off when I lost interest. I also had about 70 of the Dell Little Lulus at one time, with the idea of eventually having them all, but with a $10 limit, never got many of the early ones, and eventually sold the ones I had. I still have the Four Color issue where she gets high smoking doll's hair - that was too whack to not keep ( and the only time I spent over ten bucks on a LL book)

Even if I found myself with unlimited funds and plenty of time to hunt for comics, I can't think of any 200+ issue runs I'd really want - maybe something like Detective 27-500 just because it would be cool to have a continuous run of Batman from the GA through the Bronze, but my guess is even then I would probably lose interest before completion.

LIke many Mutie lovers, I had X-Men #1-300 (back in the 90's) that was my pride and joy - it was long since sold (I got the #1 back, though).

Now, my longest run of books is Wolverine #1-90, which is the only thing left from my comic shop collection from the 90's.

LIke many Mutie lovers, I had X-Men #1-300 (back in the 90's) that was my pride and joy - it was long since sold (I got the #1 back, though).

Now, my longest run of books is Wolverine #1-90, which is the only thing left from my comic shop collection from the 90's.

Ah yes, I forgot about the Wolvie run. I have 1-189 in those hard plastic see through cases with the fold in tab you can't get anymore. Those books were all hand selected 9.4 or better. To me, they are keepers just because they are so sweet to look at.

I'm still working on my ASM run. I've got 150 to present right now. I'm missing scattered issues down but I have the majority of them. I'm clearly at the pricey point. I'm just trying to get readers of most issues and picking up what I consider the key's graded.

What's with all the 600.1 type issues? Are they variants?

Marvel has been doing the .1 issues for the last few years. They are self contained stories that are supposed to be good jumping on points for new readers. I don't think they've really worked for that purpose though.

It is yet another attempt at a number 1 in some roundabout way.

Hulk 2-474 including all Hulk TTA appearances. All raw, read them all.

Currently working on ASM 1-441. Missing 21 issues at the moment. Only 2 slabbed, #3 and 129. I'm getting them faster than I can read them.

I have a few other runs but these are the longest ones.

After this I'm shifting my focus away from runs, and focusing on keys and 1st appearances. In my old age I'm becoming a minimalist. Runs take up too much space!

A while back I was obsessed with completing my Marvel series. I bought my first Silver Age book in 2003 and in 2007 I was up to 12.000 books doh!

Here are the runs/series I completed in those 4 years. I only put up the larger runs (50+ books).

The first two are links to pics how 500 issues look like next to each other.

Fantastic Four 1-500

Avengers 1-500

Iron Man #1 - 500

Amazing Spider-man #1 - #600

Thor #126 - #400

Journey into Mystery #83 - #125

Strange Tales #101 - #168

Tales of Suspense #39 - #99

Tales to Astonish #35 - #101

Daredevil 1-400

Incredible Hulk 1-6 , 102-600

Batman #101- #400

Captain America #100 - #400

(Uncanny ) X-men #1 - #400

Defenders #1 - #152

Marvel Team-Up #1 - #150

Marvel Two-In-One #1 - #100

Master of Kung Fu #15 - #120

Doctor Strange 1-81

Spectacular Spider-man #1 - #262

Rom #1 - #75

Superboy & Legion of Superheroes 200-325

LoSH v2 1 - 63

LoSH v3 1 - 50

Batman Legends of the Dark Knight #1 - #170

Marvel Fanfare #1 - #60

New Mutants #1 - #100

(New) x-men #1 - #145

Quasar #1 - #60

Sandman Mystery Theater #1- #60

Silver Surfer V3 #1 - #146

West Coast Avengers #1 - #90

Wolverine #1 - #160

X-Factor #1 - #160

Ultimate Spider-man #1 - #75

These days I just read. :eek:

Ah yes, I forgot about the Wolvie run. I have 1-189 in those hard plastic see through cases with the fold in tab you can't get anymore. Those books were all hand selected 9.4 or better. To me, they are keepers just because they are so sweet to look at.

Crazy - I have my run in the same kind of cases (the hard plastics with folding tab) - they were all the rage in 1996. I want to convert them to Mylites and inspect them, since what I thought was NM in 1996 is different than what I think NM is now!

A while back I was obsessed with completing my Marvel series. I bought my first Silver Age book in 2003 and in 2007 I was up to 12.000 books doh!

Here are the runs/series I completed in those 4 years. I only put up the larger runs (50+ books).

The first two are links to pics how 500 issues look like next to each other.

Fantastic Four 1-500

Avengers 1-500

Iron Man #1 - 500

Amazing Spider-man #1 - #600

Thor #126 - #400

Journey into Mystery #83 - #125

Strange Tales #101 - #168

Tales of Suspense #39 - #99

Tales to Astonish #35 - #101

Daredevil 1-400

Incredible Hulk 1-6 , 102-600

Batman #101- #400