• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Cookeville Collection
6 6

233 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Well, one of the highlights of the Cookeville collection was the Cap run, and there was a Cap no. 1. Considering that CGC is giving pedigree status to Silver Age and Bronze Age collections, it makes sense that they would back off on their requirements for GA collections.

I appreciate CGC recognizing the additional peds but what has changed that kept them from recognizing them initially.  I do not think the criteria has changed.  I understand reconsideration but it does seem odd that their recognition began after Voldy recognized this and other peds and regardless of intent, I do assume it does create an additional submissions and additional revenue.  

On 5/17/2020 at 6:39 PM, vheflin said:

The 8.5 with the SMN initials is a Cookeville.  It's cert #1970927007.

The 9.0 with Edger on it is not a Cookeville, note that it's cert #1970927008, slabbed immediately after the 8.5.

What likely happened is the grader had Cookeville selected in the label software correctly for the first book but didn't clear out the pedigree field when they entered the info. for the 9.0 so it was mislabeled. 

Update, what I have so far.

HA responded they can't share the seller (presumably both came from same collection to auction) and that it really was a CGC question. However, they would stand behind refund should CGC note any error.

CGC responded "I sent this to the graders to get further clarification and they said there can be more than one copy of the same book in a pedigree." 

Of course, this wasn't exactly the 100% clearest answer I was hoping for, so I have asked for further clarification/validation of this specific Police Comics issue.  Stay tuned.

Fyi, If anyone here bought the other with more traditional Cookeville markings - please reach out I'd love to buy it.

Edited by path4play

1 hour ago, path4play said:

HA responded they can't share the seller (presumably both came from same collection to auction) and that it really was a CGC question. However, they would stand behind refund should CGC note any error.

CGC responded "I sent this to the graders to get further clarification and they said there can be more than one copy of the same book in a pedigree." 

Of course, this wasn't exactly the 100% clearest answer I was hoping for, so I have asked for further clarification/validation of this specific Police Comics issue.  Stay tuned.

Fyi, If anyone here bought the other with more traditional Cookeville markings - please reach out I'd love to buy it.

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think your copy is the Cookeville copy.  Mistakes happen.  But who knows, it was a huge collection and maybe it is a unique book in the collection.

(shrug)

On 5/23/2020 at 12:00 PM, walclark said:

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think your copy is the Cookeville copy.  Mistakes happen.  But who knows, it was a huge collection and maybe it is a unique book in the collection.

(shrug)

Matt's going to look at it in hand.  I trust he will get it straightened out.

On 5/23/2020 at 7:23 AM, path4play said:

Extremely and ecstatically happy to hear this news since it's obvious then that the Dentist no longer has the only Church copy of Action Comics #1.  :devil:  :whee:

On 5/23/2020 at 10:23 AM, path4play said:

Turns out, was not a Cookeville.  It was re-slabbed w/o pedigree and CGC was generous with rebating me.  Sigh.  Anyone have a Cookeville Police Comics?  I would love to make a deal with you.

So were the sisters putting there initials on all the books that came in from the distributor or just on  Leroy and his brothers books ? There could be multiples of all the books with the sisters initials on them. If they were putting books aside for Leroy then why wouldn't they just put his initials on them.

2 hours ago, jayhawker said:

So were the sisters putting there initials on all the books that came in from the distributor or just on  Leroy and his brothers books ? There could be multiples of all the books with the sisters initials on them. If they were putting books aside for Leroy then why wouldn't they just put his initials on them.

That's a great point.  I would guess they were putting their initials on every comic book that was sold at the store.  Could this situation apply to other pedigrees that have store stamps or markings as the primary identifier?

Still lots of questions that will never be answered about this pedigree.