• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Movie: Iron Man 3

427 posts in this topic

Me and my son just watched it. We saw the 3-D version which is definitely not worth it.

Probably doesn't gain that much in 3D.

I went on a day when I could get a cheap ticket for a 3D showing.

2D is the way, I did 3D Imax and actually I really enjoyed the Tony show. Sometimes you can have way to much superhero and not enough character developement plus the begining of this movie will have your heart pounding on how the hell do they all survive ^^

Saw the movie this morning with my wife and we both loved it. I was actually pleasantly surprised that the third installment was more Tony Stark than Iron Man. I though the move had a good pace, I totally loved all the armors in the last 30 mins of the film and I was pleasantly surprised with the "Mandarin twist." I know a lot of fan boys are miffed at this but I knew going in that there was no way the Mandarin we've read about in the comics was going to appear on the screen. We live in a way too PC world now and Marvel is making these movies for all ages, I enjoyed how the Mandarin was in the movie but used in the way he was. Overall IM1 will always be the best but IM3 was a nice jump off into Marvel Phase Two and an improvement over IM2. 2c I can't wait for Thor 2 and Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

I don't like what they did with the Mandarin at all.

I'm surprised nobody has commented on this. The real reason they did what they did and not stick to the comics in this regard was so as not to tick off the Chinese, thereby losing revenue there, and maybe even running the risk of getting the movie banned completely.

It's the elephant in the room.

I'm surprised nobody has commented on this. The real reason they did what they did and not stick to the comics in this regard was so as not to tick off the Chinese, thereby losing revenue there, and maybe even running the risk of getting the movie banned completely.

100%, like I said in my review...no way the comic book mandarin appears on screen. Marvel isn't risking alienating a group of people and messing with revenue and the PC police. This is Marvel who markets to children, not another Hollywood movie studio. I was actually happy with how he was used because going in I would have been SHOCKED if he was anything like the comics.

I didn't expect him to be Chinese. I just wanted them to stick with the Arabic terrorist persona.

I'm torn on this one. I think I'll need to see it again. There were some extremely clever action sequences and great set pieces... Like most others, the part I took issue with most was the Mandarin. They could've used a minor Iron Man villain in that role and had the same effect. As someone who's been waiting for three films just for IM's arch-nemesis to finally show up, I was very disappointed. Like, "Galactus is a cloud" levels of disappointment. Also, after getting used to the very obvious connections throughout the films in phase one, I'm not sure how I feel about this being pretty much completely stand alone. I guess I understand why they did it that way following the epicness of The Avengers, but I was definitely surprised by no S.H.I.E.L.D., etc...

The main letdown for me is that we're going to get 3 IM movies with RDJ as Stark and not one of them did a story based on "Demon in a Bottle". They showed Stark as a heavy drinker in IM 1, but Disney definitely pulled that character flaw away. An alcoholism storyline would have been the best IM storyline they could do in my opinion. It is such a unique character flaw in the Marvel universe.

The main letdown for me is that we're going to get 3 IM movies with RDJ as Stark and not one of them did a story based on "Demon in a Bottle". They showed Stark as a heavy drinker in IM 1, but Disney definitely pulled that character flaw away. An alcoholism storyline would have been the best IM storyline they could do in my opinion. It is such a unique character flaw in the Marvel universe.

Haven't there been hints of "Demon in a Bottle" in the past two movies?

We saw it Friday as a family. We liked it (me and wife) thru loved it from the 10 year old.

It was fun and entertaining. It was not exactly the way I wanted them to do the movie and the Mandarin; which I felt was a good thing. I was surprised. I like not being able to predict and entire movie.

Also, having spent time with a *spoon*, I tend not to look too hard at my super hero movies, not become so critical that they take liberties and pander to a degree. Rather, I just enjoy seeing my child hood dreams enacted on the big screen; brought to cinematic life in a grand way.

The Superman trailer gave me goose bumps; can't wait to see it, but I am a DC guy and favor the single lone person against the world.

Hmm I'm wondering if AIM will be in future movies. Obviously this one gets you used to seeing some wicked scientific activity gone awry. I want MODOK and AIM involved with Hydra. Maybe even being the ones to bring back Red Skull.

I saw this having low expectations, and I'll have to say it came very close to living down to my lowest expectations. As far as the story goes, I thought it was horrible for an Iron Man movie. It was well made. It was moderately entertaining. I just felt it was a HUGE disappointment. I can honestly say I don't know who the bad guys were supposed to represent nor did I care after the movie was over. I didn't see much of anything in the way of teasers or insight into what's coming ahead.

It's amazing to me that Robert Downey Jr. was whining so much about claustrophobia and filming the scenes of his face close-up in the armor. I don't really think he was in the armor more than 20 minutes. The Mandarin was a huge letdown in all ways. At one point I was trying to add up how much time they rambled on with BS out of costume.

The movie is okay at best. the disappointment is mainly because this is an Iron man movie and there is so much more to see from the character.

On a positive note, at least they didn't try to jam too many villains and crossed plotlines into this movie.

The after credit scene was a thrown away opportunity. It wasn't particularly funny as intended and it gave no insight into the upcoming Thor movie. The Christmas theme was just stupid.

Haven't there been hints of "Demon in a Bottle" in the past two movies?

They considered doing demon in a bottle for the second one, but they didn't want to look like they were copying Hancock.

DG

I liked it (not as good as IM 1 but way better than IM 2)

I actually liked The Mandarin twist (Ben Kingsley pulled it off very well,any other actor would have failed it big time)

Overall I enjoyed it.

Man of Steel trailer looks bad@$$ (can't wait to see it)

Agreed, they definitely should've done something with that storyline. I feel like Stark's PTSD in this one was sort of a stand-in for that.