• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

***Boston Comic Con New Date Aug 3-4 :)***

77 posts in this topic

Just back from the show...good time...was #15 in line bright and early...Weather was nice early, so not too hot. It did get busy around noon and the aisles were crowded.

Will post a report up in the general section with pics.

Great con. I scored some great deals! Picked up an ASM 13 raw (6.5) for $275, New Mutants 98 raw (9.6+) for $100 and a few other ASM's between 13-40. Dealers were very willing to make deals today. Artists on the other hand seemed to be charging for signatures now (same ones as last year but they did them free). A couple of the locals stayed free like Ed McGuiness and Dexter Vines. Neil Adams was charging $20 a signature, George Perez only did a certain amount of sigs today. Paul Ryan was charging $2 a sig (weird).

Super packed! I was about 30th in line, arrived around 6:30am. I didn't see a ton of key silver age books though. Only saw 1 AF15 and 1 ASM1. I did grab a bunch of the My Little Pony and Adventure Time exclusives though.

I thought it was a great con too. Not too big, a huge one for tpb and hc collectors. Got in the wrong line for about two minutes then waited from 9:55 til 10:24 to make it in, really not long of a wait, now for ticket holders that another story ( heard a lot of complaints ) the line for the artist were pretty short too. " Only saw 1 AF15 and 1 ASM1. I did grab a bunch of the My Little Pony and Adventure Time exclusives though"

I saw that one on my way out, the cgc 7.5 AF 15?

Yea, the 7.5. High Grade was accross from the banner-less cgc table. Also, best group of

Cgc employees I've dealt with at a con yet. Super nice. One of the ladies loved being a witness and made great conversation while waiting in line for signatures.

Neil Adams was charging $20 a signature

Wow. Okay, forget that. I saw him just last year in Framingham and he was only charging $10 a signature.

I'll be in attendance tomorrow afternoon, but not until after 2 probably. I'll be wearing a Wonder Woman t-shirt if anybody wants to stalk me.

Framingham...super mega Fest. Great show. Stan lee was there. I'm looking forward to that show this year also. They are handing out flyers at Boston comic con with the attendee list already.

I'm not sure if I'll be going back or not, they'd have to bring in some amazing comic book superstar to get me back I think, or else seriously beef up the dealer list. I'm really about the comics and they only had a handful of dealers with back issues, like six or eight if I recall correctly. And a couple of them were weirdos, like that guy who looks like the Golden Age Flash villain The Fiddler. I definitely wasn't into all the wrestling and TV stars and all that nonsense. More comics, please.

Framingham...super mega Fest. Great show. Stan lee was there. I'm looking forward to that show this year also. They are handing out flyers at Boston comic con with the attendee list already.

I'm not sure if I'll be going back or not, they'd have to bring in some amazing comic book superstar to get me back I think, or else seriously beef up the dealer list. I'm really about the comics and they only had a handful of dealers with back issues, like six or eight if I recall correctly. And a couple of them were weirdos, like that guy who looks like the Golden Age Flash villain The Fiddler. I definitely wasn't into all the wrestling and TV stars and all that nonsense. More comics, please.

SuperMegaFest has never been a "comic book show" (I've been every year of its existence). So, don't expect that to change. It's always been an autograph show 1st, then a variety of collectibles dealers, and a few comic guys/artists.

SuperMegaFest has never been a "comic book show" (I've been every year of its existence). So, don't expect that to change. It's always been an autograph show 1st, then a variety of collectibles dealers, and a few comic guys/artists.

I'm not expecting it to change. I'm just saying that for me personally, because it is a celebrity fest and not a comic show, I will probably not be attending unless they bring in someone like Roy Thomas or Kurt Busiek who I really, really want to meet.

My gosh. I've been to lots of shows in Boston off and on over the past 25 years and I've never seen anything like the show today. It had to be at least twice as big or more than any other show I've been to in Boston and it was completely jammed with people. Tons of young people, tons of women and girls, it's clear the mainstream audiences have discovered comic shows. I mean, the last couple years it's been getting more crowded and diverse, but this was pretty awesome.

Collecting highlight of the day was probably sitting on the floor going through a long box of Archies with my checklist in one hand, while a 10-year-old girl was sitting going through the other box of Archies, a checklist in her hand. She nabbed a Jughead #300 I wanted too, but I think it went to a better home. (thumbs u Great to see kids getting into it.

All the creators were very nice to me as well. Didn't get to see George Perez, they were giving out numbers and ran out before I got to the show. The line for Phil Jimenez was also too long for me as he was doing free sketches. But I got to meet and get sigs from Mike Mignola, Michael Golden, Howard Chaykin and Don Rosa among many others, so that's a win.

It was a good day today. I got to finally see my sketch from Mike Lilly,before it headed to Florida. I also set up 4 more commissions with him. Got a super girl sketch from George Perez, what a nice guy he was. My son got a sketch from Suydam. I meet Tony Daniels, Scott Snyder, Mike Mignola. Got to visit with some artists I have become very friendly with over the past few years. Oh and the biggest highlights were for my son, he got to meet the artists from adventure time, and get his stuff signed,plus he got to meet Billy West. I have had the pleasure of meeting him before,so it was awesome to get to watch one of my kids,who is a huge futurama fan, meet the man behind so much of what makes the show great.

Seemed like they got the problems with the pre-sale ticket purchasers worked out today as wristbands were distributed before opening so everybody could file in quickly.

Stayed out of the dealer/retailers area in the front, which was always super-packed and busy. Didn't go to any panels or get any celeb autographs.

The artist area was pretty great with LOTS of space in the isles and long tables which made it a comfortable experience with nobody pushing or bumping or squeezing past. It also wasn't very loud so you could carry on a conversation without raised voices. Fantastic!

Saw Ken Hunt (new DC cover artist for Talon #12 check him out), great guy, remembered me and my friend (who ended up getting a pencil sketch) from another show.

Saw Paul Gulacy who didn't seem to be feeling well and left early but was happy to talk. Got a pencil sketch (not up to his usual standards unfortunately) and an auto.

Saw Howard Chaykin and got a quick sketch and an auto. If you don't visit Chaykin at a show you don't know what you're missing. The man can tell a story and in his words has "no filter." Everything you've read or heard about him appears to be true.

We visited the guys at Fat Cat Funnies. Local indy-comics guys, always great to talk to and get sketches from, which we did.

Saw George Perez who was SWAMPED with people. He had to give out tickets for autos/quick sketches so people wouldn't have to wait in line all day (great idea actually) and even that was cut off pretty early. Luckily me and my buddy were able to get two tix (we were pretty near the end- 251 and 252). Chaykin called Perez a "machine" churning out autos and sketches non-bleeping-stop all day with a great attitude and happy smile. Got a quick sketch and an auto.

We also picked up some pre-ordered gray wash con-sketches from J.K. Woodward. Another guy who was super nice to talk to at the end of the day.

Lunch was also in-between there someplace at a deli down the street (seriously people, do not eat at the venue concession, there are a lot of good restaurants on that street) and a ton of walking around. We were in line at 9:30AM-ish and left for good a little after 5PM.

I hope they keep it at the Seaport for the extra space, cheaper parking, and better overall experience.