Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Magazine Grading

20 posts in this topic

Just have a question for you mag collectors. I dont know if they grade mags differently from comics, or the same standards apply. I was given a Vampi #2 mag from Warren Publ., and it looks pretty good in my eyes. Although I dont have any mags slabbed I am considering sending this one.

First question is, is it worth it?

Can I post a scan here and get some opinions on the mag.

Nik

Hey Nik hi.gif you are more than welcome my brother! Go ahead post a good size of it and make sure that you get all of the corners and edges in the picture/scan.

Generally this is how I grade magazines. While there is not a lot of documation on the topic. The latest Overstreet Grading Guide does mention a little bit about it. They list defects that are very common because of how magazines where bound, printed, distributed and stored. And because of these reasons they resemble Golden Age books. So when evaluating them you should use Golden Age Criteria. Now Magazines generally were not a collected medium. Meaning that compared to comics, they were not collected for Investment. And supplies such as bags and boards where a lot tougher to get for this type of medium. All these things must be considered when placing relative value to a relative grade.

For this reason Many magazines that achieve VF/NM grading can sell at NM prices non slabbed because many know how difficult it is to get these books in that type of grade.

Go ahead and post and I'll surely give you my oppinion! As I'm sure others will too!

-bounty

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L !!!!

Well it looks like the book has 2 very common problems with magazines. Light bindery corners UL & LL. Would you say that they produce about a 1/16" tear at the UL and a 1/32" tear at the LL?

Is that a miniscule tear to the top edge of the book (right above the "e" and "d" in "Illustrated")?

Only other thing that I can possibly spot is...Is there a minute softening of the LR corner? Or just slightly bend downward?

I would say that with the bindery corners you have a solid 9.6 NM+

If that is a light tear between the "e" and "d" in Illustrated then You would have a 9.4 NM. I think that even if the LR corner was lightly soft that it would still hold in the NM 9.4 arena.

Let me know what you think.

-bounty

To both bindery corners I would say yes.

There is no tear at all on the top edge, and the LR corner, although looks soft, book in hand its pretty sharp.

The only other thing that dosnt show on the scan is a small 1/4 indent line just below the letter "M" in Vampirella.

Thanks for your input BC, I really appreciate it thumbsup2.gif

To both bindery corners I would say yes.

There is no tear at all on the top edge, and the LR corner, although looks soft, book in hand its pretty sharp.

The only other thing that dosnt show on the scan is a small 1/4 indent line just below the letter "M" in Vampirella.

Thanks for your input BC, I really appreciate it thumbsup2.gif

With that in mind I think that you have 9.6 as your upperbound and 9.4 as your lower bound. I would be shocked if it was above or below that thumbsup2.gif

Nice book man.

Hey Nik hi.gif you are more than welcome my brother! Go ahead post a good size of it and make sure that you get all of the corners and edges in the picture/scan.

Generally this is how I grade magazines. While there is not a lot of documation on the topic. The latest Overstreet Grading Guide does mention a little bit about it. They list defects that are very common because of how magazines where bound, printed, distributed and stored. And because of these reasons they resemble Golden Age books. So when evaluating them you should use Golden Age Criteria. Now Magazines generally were not a collected medium. Meaning that compared to comics, they were not collected for Investment. And supplies such as bags and boards where a lot tougher to get for this type of medium. All these things must be considered when placing relative value to a relative grade.

For this reason Many magazines that achieve VF/NM grading can sell at NM prices non slabbed because many know how difficult it is to get these books in that type of grade.

Go ahead and post and I'll surely give you my oppinion! As I'm sure others will too!

-bounty

Glad to see your response. I had the same questions as Nikos. cool.gif

tonofbricks.giffrown.gif

v2a.jpg

Eye-chi-wowa! 893whatthe.gif

I've been ultra strict on mag grading but I started to lighten up some based on other board members opinions. Looks like I'm gonna tighten back up. Glad this wasn't a round in your contest! foreheadslap.gif

What were the grader notes?

tonofbricks.giffrown.gif

v2a.jpg

Eye-chi-wowa! 893whatthe.gif

I've been ultra strict on mag grading but I started to lighten up some based on other board members opinions. Looks like I'm gonna tighten back up. Glad this wasn't a round in your contest! foreheadslap.gif

What were the grader notes?

There MUST be a defect that we cannot see from the scan or you are not seeing when holding in person Niko's

I have the only Graded Copy of Nightmare #6 Graded a CGC VF+ 8.5 which I picked up on ebay. When I got the book I was flabergasted, because it looked like minimum a NM- 9.2

It took be a day to finally find out the problem. On the front cover there was a 3" light crimp/crease most likely production related. It was just right to where you couldnt see the darn thing unless you angled the book under a very heavy light source. But when it was noticed it definitely detracted from appearance.

This is the only thing that I can think of for your Vampi #2. Large bend that doesnt break color anywhere? It would actually be very beneficial to the board to know the graders notes. Because from picture that book does not look anything below a NM- 9.2

-bounty

Notes are :

3 inch corner bend, bottom left back cover, does not break color

small dents front cover, does not break color

BINGO! Very similiar to my Nightmare #6. Those defects that are long but invisible are the silent killers. Man you should have mentioned to us that it had a 3" non breaking corner bend to back cover. Was it something that you missed as well initially?

-bounty

See Now coming back to that situation. I think that a non breaking bend/crease to the back cover should not garner such a large deduction.

It truly is amazing where our hobby is heading. I don't know how CGC grades exactly but there should be a less % deduction for defects to the back cover. Meaning a 3" crease to the front cover should be heavier weighted than a 3" crease to the back cover. Its all about the eye appeal of the book. And I'll tell you what, I am going to start heavily looking for CGC mags that have been beaten down with 8.5's and 9.0's because of defects to the back cover.

-bounty