• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bigger SA Key: Silver Surfer 1 or Iron Man 1?

Bigger SA Key: Silver Surfer 1 or Iron Man 1?  

384 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger SA Key: Silver Surfer 1 or Iron Man 1?

140 posts in this topic

Both books were the best of Marvel's 1968 expansion titles. Which is the more valuable and historically significant Silver Age key:

Silver Surfer 1 ?

or

Iron Man 1 ?

I wonder if those seeking to go after this Iron Man 1 based on the movie hype recognize the number of appearances Shellhead has had before his first issue? Still a must have for Iron Man collectors nevertheless.

I may be incorrect when stating this and I do like reading shell head better than surfer but wouldn't Silver Surfer#1 be more important as it is his first origin story(correct me please if I am wrong) and isnt the Iron Man #1 just a continuation from the IM/Subby book and we all know he was in a ton of books before this issue with his origin only being re-told in this particular issue...

I like them both...... but for me, the Surfer led the way to the liberal themes that so typified the Bronze Age, and as such is more significant or important. Iron Man 1 will easily be the more collectible of the two, however. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Surfer #1 if for no other reason that the Surfer had really never had a regular series that contained his own solo adventures. To me, I'm just not sure why IM#1 is that big of a deal. Always strikes me that the first 10 issues of IM are out of whack price wise, when compared to the last 10 issues of TOS. It's not like anything big happens in the issues themselves, nor do they have any kind of "artistic merit", like some of the Steranko Nick Fury issues do, to justify a higher price. I'll take the Surfer, hands down, but I understand how some people are hot on IM #1 right now. It's not a bad book, but I just don't get it.

Regardless of their importance, Iron Man 1-10 are the key issues for people wanting to complete the large Iron Man series run. Not sure how many issues Subby got up to.

Not to mention the hit movies sparking a large interest in Iron Man.

I'd still prefer to have a copy of Silver Surfer 1.

I have both ( :whee: ), but I sought the Silver Surfer #1 first. Don't get me wrong, I <3 Iron Man, but something about the Surfer is just awesome. Unibeam versus the Powers Cosmic... Surfer wins everytime. lol

Guest Grails

Silver Surfer 1 is easily more valuable. I sold a 9.8 for around 20k 5 or 6 years ago. As far as significance, I'd put the Surfer on top but not by much.

So here we are mixing up two distinctly different questions into one poll. Do we really need to have a repeat of the nonsense manifest from the prior poll between Detective 232 and ASM 121?

Neither of these are historically significant.

I'll let the others chime in regarding which is more valuable.

The correct answer is..... Fantastic Four #48 :grin:

:applause:

Agreed, Fantastic Four # 48 & Silver Surfer #1 are both hoard books to me, I only have 1 copy of IM #1

If its true that it is the surfers first origin, then its a clear winner. And fyi the surfer had his own title for around 10 years. Since someone said he never really had his own title.

Full origin of the Silver Surfer, with kickarse John Buscema art. Also, a retelling of the origin of The Watcher by Colan.

Total win.