• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie 1-10 +50 CLUB
12 12

1,011 posts in this topic

I know there's a few going up for auction soon. I haven't paying close attention to most auction houses lately (I work insane shifts at my job) but always a good idea to check there!

I know there's a few going up for auction soon. I haven't paying close attention to most auction houses lately (I work insane shifts at my job) but always a good idea to check there!

The 8.0 EP restored is on ebay right now. Will HA have one in their next auction?

Now you're promoting the very same Archie #1 8.0 EP that you trashed in May, when it was up for auction by another seller?

I never trashed anyone's comic, I'm fine with that comic. In fact, as I said at that time, I hoped it was going to do well at auction.

I compared my Archie 1 to that one and said mine looked better. Again, I was upset (or maybe just jealous) that mine was graded a full grade lower.

Edited by gadzukes

Nice copy. Welcome to the club.

I remember when this one finished at auction thinking what a deal the winner got.

This one might be begging for resto removal. Can you tell how bad the glue on the spine is?

I would think that with resto removal this one could attain a 1.5-2.0 Blue label.

Edited by gadzukes

CGC Unrestored:

4.0 OW-W... BaltimoreLauren... Page 6

3.0 OW.......... 143ksk................. Page 2

1.0 Brittle.......... Ameri................ Page 1

CGC Restored

7.0 (MP)... OW-W... Gadzukes... Page 1

2.5 (SA)... OW-W... Benz... Page 7

Raw

2.0-3.0 Unrestored... GoldenPRguy... Page 3

6.0 Restored... Lotemo... Page 1

6.0 SL Restored... GoldenPRguy... Page 3

I agree with you, I think it'd be a great candidate for cracking and submitting to CCS for a look. A blue 1.5 or 2 would be worth it any day! Though, and here is where some of you might disagree --- I think if it has to be purple you might as well see what else you can do to make it the best purple you can (within reason of course). I mean this is clearly slight resto, but who knows what restored grade could also be achieved by removing the amateur work and maybe touching up some of the color cracks. As long as you keep it slight or even step up to a moderate. I think the money and time would be justified. I am sure Matt would be able to give you a pretty good idea of what he could do with it.

I won a Jackpot 4 on HA back in '02. It was an apparent VG- as someone had done a horrific amateur trim on the back. I left it in slab for a decade but finally got sick of looking at the hack job. I cracked it and sent it to Matt and Kenny. It is in the final stages now, but as you can see from the shots below that Kenny sent as he was working on it, it's really coming together. I'll be anxious to see what it looks like when all is said and done and what it will grade as.

After Casting:

jackpot4cast_zps7ebd44fe.jpg

After Color Touch:

jackpot4colort_zps60316a1e.jpg

Oh yeah, for sure. It's already done. This was just an early shot of the work from a few months back. It will look like it's relatively new by the time it's complete. Matt is doing some final touch up work on it next week and then it's off to CGC. Matt expects a 7.5 or 8.0. We'll see how accurate his predictions are!

Those are amazing. Do we get to see the back covers?

Here are my pride and joys (yeah, no kids yet, and probably won't change when I do have 'em) once again from my original post, this time with the back covers as requested! So much fun pulling them out of the mylar - so nerve-racking putting them back in!

Archie1_zps9c3a2aa1.jpg

Archie1Back_zps4382d90d.jpg

Archie1b_zps8b638abc.jpg

Archie1Backb_zps9351f70b.jpg

Oh yeah, for sure. It's already done. This was just an early shot of the work from a few months back. It will look like it's relatively new by the time it's complete. Matt is doing some final touch up work on it next week and then it's off to CGC. Matt expects a 7.5 or 8.0. We'll see how accurate his predictions are!

Good Luck with the grade. CGC has been grading tougher on both restored & unrestored. Did Matt think it would get a "Moderate" or "Extreme" Resto label? Let's hope it can get a Moderate.

Honestly I have no idea. It was slight amateur, but I can't be sure what it will be! I'd love moderate, and based on most of the small stuff it would fall into that or even stay slight... But the piece replacement on the pictures, I don't know, seems pretty extensive to me!

I'm just happy to have a great copy that will be whole again!

Here's the before and after shots while I had it.

7.0-7.5 seems about right. There's residual creasing that will probably keep the overall grade down.

Still not sure why somebody lopped off the BC like they did.

jackpot4bcb4golden_zps51254d91.jpg

jp4bcb4_zps80bbdebc.jpg

jp4afterpartialct_zps4113aeca.jpg

jp4afterbc_zps2e7b6a5d.jpg

7.0-7.5 seems about right. There's residual creasing that will probably keep the overall grade down.

Yeah the original cut was just so disappointing, but I got the book for a good price. Regardless, you really did an amazing job Kenny! Thank you!

Yeah the original cut was just so disappointing, but I got the book for a good price. Regardless, you really did an amazing job Kenny! Thank you!

It's such a bizarre cut to have on a comic. Are you sure it wasn't a bindery defect?

I had Kenny meld a masthead onto a remaindered comic and CGC only gave it a "moderate" resto label so I think you're only going to get a "Moderate".

Great looking comic. I'm jealous.

On a completely separate note ... when I pulled the Archie 1's to scan the backs at your request, I realized that it had been ages since I actually laid my hands on the unrestored copy. It's actually a really nice book, but sadly the cover is detached. Nevertheless, I was paging through it since I'd never really read that copy (read the other one pre-resto) and inside at the centerfold I found this. Not that is has any value, but still a very cool perfectly preserved newspaper subscription card.

And yes, I know this is the opposite of archival paper that should be in there! :insane:

morningcalla_zpse00d19f6.jpg

morningcallb_zps3d6969af.jpg

With the great Sparkle City auction that just ended I figured it was time to dust off the Archie 1 CLUB thread.

SO many amazing prices on Archie comics in that SS auction.

1 CGC 6.5 = $63,000

2 CGC 4.0 = $8600

4 CGC 3.5 = $2200

8 CGC 3.0 = $1200

And SO many more.... here's the link to the completed auctions if you want to take a look at all of them.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item=200996108663&pt=US_Comic_Books&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&hash=item2ecc4d3977&_ssn=sparklecitycomics&_sacat=0&_nkw=archie+-reggie+-christmas+-joke+-sabrina&_sop=16

And here's a pic of the Archie 1 6.5 that sold. If you are the owner and you visit the boards, please come join the club.

get-attachment-11aspx_zps43a197a0.jpeg

Actually this is a great idea … aside from posting our own we should post images of what we know is out there and graded. Here are three currently up for auction … not sure who the current owners/would-be-club-members are, or who the next owners will be, but let's consider this a visual catalog and an invitation to the new owners to claim their rightful place among the group.

ComicConnect Auction ending today (Current Price: $6,550)

arc11201a_zps02c8ebdc.jpg

SparkleCity eBay Auction ending in 5.5 days (Current Price: $5,500)

1173872003a_zpsc8ba9cd5.jpg

ComicMylar eBay Auction seemingly never-ending (BIN Price: $24,500)

DSC_0016_zps28d1b742.jpg