• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first British Comic Convention!

52 posts in this topic

Agreed, stock is pretty much always the same - but I suppose that's what brings in the reddies. I'd like to see UK dealers a little braver with their stock, how it is displayed and how they market themselves. Including how they look.

Though I did find a copy of Action Comics 1 on Sunday for 25p.

I use US dealers much, much more than UK ones and have honestly never had a problem. e.g. For common modern stuff, Mile High are super-fast and very cheap.

In the UK I've bought from the ghastly Silveracre twice - they sent me the wrong comic and then had the ordasity to suggest I might not be happy with the "deal". shocked.gif

(BTW - who have they recently bought out - anyone see that big golden age 'find' ?)

Then there's that attitude of a fat old boys network too - as I've said before, the Bristol Convention was particularly depresing.

But... it must be a hard life for the average dealer... my sympathies are with you...

I haven't been to a British Con for several years, and I have to say none of this is making me feel any more inclined to do so. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I do know however that Andy is definitely one of the good guys, and can confirm I have never had a problem with his NM grading. (unlike several other dealers already mentioned in this thread). thumbsup2.gif

As for Metropolis, their presence at a British Con can surely only serve to raise the profile of that Con for all concerned, so I don't see a problem. Though if I already purchase from their website, and speak to them regularly about new books they have in what's in it for me ? confused-smiley-013.gif

And here I was...really thinking about navigating the Dover Straight: and attending my first British (OK FIRST ever) con in the New Year.... confused-smiley-013.gif

There'll be cream eggs when you get here...... headbang.gif

Well after reading all of this...I'll need a few hugs as well... sorry.gif

And here I was...really thinking about navigating the Dover Straight: and attending my first British (OK FIRST ever) con in the New Year.... confused-smiley-013.gif

There'll be cream eggs when you get here...... headbang.gif

Well after reading all of this...I'll need a few hugs as well... sorry.gif

Yep, especially since what we have are not really big enough to be called Cons - they're Marts. tonofbricks.gif

Thanks for the kudos! It's nice to know I'm appreciated! thumbsup2.gif

And I understand your frustration. I can remember when I was the other side of the table and turning up on a Sunday and finding that one of my favourite dealers had just scored three or four boxes of gorgeous new stock was Christmas and birthday all rolled into one.

But the back issues market is not even a shadow of what it was even ten years ago. The older collectors have moved on and never really been replaced and simple economics says that if the demand is lessened, the supply either follows suit, or as a dealer, you collapse under the burden of your own stock.

I do try to reach a balance where I don't kill myself under capital debt, but that every mart I have some beautiful new items, hopefully stuff that doesn't duplicate what I already have.

However, would I love to be displaying my new copy of AF #15, or 'Tec #34, or some 50s EC classics? Sure I would! Even if the books were for resale, the buzz of them landing in the mail, of being able to handle them and drool all over them slip them carefully into a Mylar, would make the job twice as worthwhile as it is now.

But unless I remortage the wife, or the British market explodes again like it did in the 80s, I'm never going to get to that point.

However, I more than welcome Vince or Harley to these shores, because as I previously stated, it helps my own turnover and I believe puts us on the map.