• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Top 5 sketch covers in your collection?
7 7

231 posts in this topic

My first sketch cover (and one of the first sketch covers ever as part of the first HERO 100 project that launched the sketch cover era). This book introduced me to Clayton Crain (and System of a Down drummer John Dolmayan). This book was also my first commission - I asked Crain to the back cover which was a Best of the Best Ghost Rider sketch cover winner.

UltimateSpider-Man100CrainvariantCG.jpg

UltimateSpider-Man100Crainvarian-1.jpg

The front cover of this book was my second sketch cover and commission. Crain recently added a full figure to the back cover.

FallenSon3sketchvariantCGC98WSSClaytonCrain001_zps27e33692.jpg

FallenSon3sketchvariantCGC98WSSClaytonCrainreverse001_zps735d69b6.jpg

After seeing Crain's work on the Carnage miniseries, I had to have a Carnage commission. This one was done on the back of an Ultimate Spider-Man 100 variant and won the Best of the Best Carnage sketch cover award.

UltimateSpider-Man100variantClaytonCrainreverse001.jpg

I love Asian-themed Wolverine sketch covers and Ken Haeser killed this one.

samuraiwolverine.jpg

Last, but certainly not least is another Clayton Crain masterpiece which won the Best of the Best Hulk sketch cover.

Hulk1HEROvariantCGC94WSSCrain001.jpg

I know this is a "Top 5" thread but forgive me if I share a few more.

Whilce Portacio used this image for the cover of his sketch book.

PortacioHEROWolverine.jpg

Francesco Mattina killed this Doom for the HERO Initiative

MattinaHEROFFDoom_zpse4c97675.jpg

This Clayton Crain is the current Best of the Best Ghost Rider sketch cover champion.

GhostRiderBlaze13CGC98WSSCrain001.jpg

My favorite character, my favorite artist and Best of the Best Beast sketch cover winner. I love this book.

MarvelsProject1sketchvariantClaytonCrain001.jpg

Clayton Crain's Weapon X Hero Initiative masterpiece

WeaponXCrain.jpg

this book has my two favorite characters on it. snake and the punisher. i finally got it finished and back from cgc. thanks to dan,ken haeser,andrew (gacollectables ) mr harmon,romita sr, john carpenter and sharon rice.

:fav5001_zps01788d85.jpg:

:fav5002_zps0a60cffd.jpg:

:fav5003_zps93b768db.jpg:

:personalsketches004_zpsaa1958d9.jpg:

:

personalsketches003_zps949e9b9b.jpg:

really hard to pick five.

So many great sketches everyone! I just started so not as good as the rest of yours but it's a start! I'm super happy with them and can't wait to get more done!

I had my first three commissioned last year by Tom Hodges @ PHXCC and then three more this year @ PHXCC (been out of the country for almost 4 months for work so made it back just in time!)

These three are from Tom last year:

194337_o010.jpg

194337_o008.jpg

194337_o009.jpg

... this one is from Val Hochberg this year:

StarWarsSketch_ValHochberg_zps1a241ceb.jpg

... this one from Andy Carreon this year:

StarWarsSketch_AndyCarreon_zps509123a5.jpg

Still have a few sketches in the works or at cgc. My top 5 out of what I have in hand now:

McNiven

mcnivencap_zpsdc0fbccb.jpg

Philip Tan

tanscarletwitch_zps85fd681d.jpg

JG Jones

jgwidow_zps2f0047ab.jpg

Roux

rouxemmacomplete2.jpg

Brooks

brookskitty.jpg

Edited by alex13

So hard to choose. This obviously will change and depends on what I've got in photobucket at the moment, but I'll go with the following 5:

This Robert Atkins won me my Best of the Best Snake Eyes title:

snakeblank_zps49389b08.jpg

Clay Mann on a Troy blank, he just felt like adding the logo for fun:

MannBatCat.jpg

Jim Cheung is such a spectacular talent. Got this before DC was putting out blanks:

CheungBatmanGraded.jpg

The Chris Bachalo goes with a special story that I posted back in 2011, but very short version is this is one of my faves because my wife and I got to hang out with Chris for an hour and chat while he started it:

WOLVYMATSCHULL.jpg

Last, but not least, I've always wanted a sketch from Lee Bermejo and was so excited when he showed up at C2E2 last year. He wasn't taking commissions, but doing incredible free sketches. My favorite freebie ever:

bermejo.jpg