• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spine Stress Marks, Rolled Spine, and other “definitions”...

9 posts in this topic

Hello all

I’ve recently begun collecting comics again, and I’ve happily re-discovered the fun and enjoyment this hobby provides. I’ve also decided to have a few of my modern books graded (I’ve never done this before) and I have a couple of questions.

I’ve read, at other sites, about “spine stress marks” and “rolled spine.” I’m not 100% sure what, exactly, those terms are referring to. To me, spine stress would be the whitening of the spine from, say, being rubbed against the bag too much. A rolled spine would be creases or bends in the spine from the book being rolled from top to bottom or from being bent lengthwise.

Are those “definitions” correct? Are there any good guides that map-out the terminology and show examples, etc?

Any input would be much appreciated,

Maury

RAILhead Design

Spine stress marks are small horizontal cracks just to the right of the spine. Usually caused by handling comics in the old "spinner" racks that were used at the time. Customers would grab the top of the comic and "bend" it towards them to see what was underneath, thereby creating a "stress crack".

The whitening along the spine you speak of would be more accurtately described as minor wear to the finish usually caused by either handling or rubbing with another comic NOT rubbing from being in a comic bag.

Rolled "spine" is caused by comic books being piled on top of each other. When the comic books at the bottom have their spine sticking out a bit, pressure from the books above create the roll. When looking at the back cover there is usually a gap of about 1/8" to 1/2" between the back cover and the front cover depending on the severity of the roll.

Note: Unless you're Modern Comics are perfect in every way, and I mean PERFECT, I wouldn't bother with slabbing.

Thanks for the reply. I found an online list that has all the terms Overstreet published a while back, too. But, as for what I was originally referring to as stress marks doesn't seem to be in the list. What I'm referring to is -- for want of a better phrase the -- worn-out aspect some spines get where the white paper begins to show through. Basically, the rub-off that happens to the spine when slipped in and out of bags too roughly.

Is there a term for that? If there is, I can't find it...

As for grading modern comics, I'd have to disagree with you, with all due respect. I feel the decision to grade a book depends wholly upon how much you like and enjoy a particular book, issue, or series. If you have a title you're particularly fond of and you want to grade it and contribute to its preservation, I don't think it matters if it's 50 years or 50 minutes old.

I think it's up to the individual, their tastes, their financial situation, and how much they "treasure" a particular book.

Just my 2¢,

Maury

Maury.....you are, of course.....correct. It is up to the individual to decide whether or not to submit their books for grading. But I'll try to go into a little more detail with what I'm sure ninanina was saying.

First off.....CGC has just announced a price increase on grading modern books. The new price is $19 per book plus shipping costs. A decent chunk of change for a modern book. If you have a sentimental connection to the particular issues in hand, and want to preserve them by slabbing.....then there is nothing wrong with that......especially if you don't ever intend to sell them. But....depending on the issues......if they aren't in pristine shape.....odds are that the grading fee could well exceed what the book itself is worth.

If the books you have aren't in pristine condition.....and you don't have an emotional attchment to these particular copies.......you may want to consider buying nice near mint to mint copies of them (if they aren't expensive issues), and having them graded instead. Then, you could keep your current issues as copies to read and enjoy while having pristine copies preserved. This is what I do.

Just a suggestion. Good luck.

Agreed, Bugaboo, 100%.

The moderns I'm getting graded are a few first issues of some titles I like very much, and they all are, to the best of my assessment, "worth" getting graded insofar as their condition.

In keeping with my original post, the only real "marks" on these titles are a few minor areas on the spines, where there's *very* minor rub-off in only a few places.

Maury

Cool. I've had some books graded that most people couldn't care squat for....but I like them. Also remember though......CGC is notoriously tough when grading moderns as compared to bronze age, silver age, and golden age books. It's debatable as to the fairness of that......but it's a pretty obvious fact. Good luck with your submissions. smile.gif

Spinewear? Damaged Spine? Worn Spine? Spine Rub? Those are terms I've read on occasion. Don't know if overstreet has a particular phrase for it. But if the rubbing continues, it could turn into a spine split. That's when the front cover actually separates from the back cover.

A spine roll is typically caused by folding the cover (and then pages) back when reading the book, much like you would a magazine or newspaper. Of course these days collectors don't read their books that way, but back in the 70's when you were 10 you would, and if you didn't finish it before lunch, just stuff it in the back pocket of your jeans until you get a chance to finish it!

Spine stresses are caused by simply opening the cover and bending it back, and the stresses actually wrap around the front and back of the spine (although they're not typically noticable on the back cover since it's white anyway).