• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Book No. 4
1 1

7 posts in this topic

From the Rockies comes a cover of evil and fear.

In continuing my countdown of books that I could not part with I'm almost to number one, but I have three more stories to tell first. The book I have at number four on my PSL is Action Comics #410 (March 1972) from the Rocky Mountain pedigree.

This piece is near and dear to me for a few reasons, I'm partial to the Rocky Mountain pedigree and I'm also partial to covers by Nick Cardy. Several years ago I was in a comic shop in Cincinnati, Ohio where I saw a raw copy of Action #410. I remember the book looking really nice with a bright cover, there were signs of aging but the book presented very well. At this point in time I had never seen a near mint/mint book from this era and CGC was very new to me, I have no idea what grade the raw copy would have gotten if submitted. I ended up getting a different book that day but I almost picked the raw Action #410.

The cover features the satanic son of Superman, with the Man of Steel ready to defend his son against an angry lynch mob, the son looks pleased with the chaos. Is this an imaginary story, a story about misunderstanding, has Superman been tricked or is the cover an exaggeration? Since I have not read the book I do not know, I prefer to keep it a mystery. We all know how dangerous fear and misunderstanding can be, especially when a lynch mob is involved, and this simple cover reminds me of that every time I gaze upon it.

A year or so before I picked up this piece I tried for another 9.8 copy of this issue but I was outbid. This worked out for the better since I was able to get the Rocky Mountain copy with the exceptional quality that is consistent with this pedigree. This was my oldest 9.8 example for a time, now it is my third oldest 9.8. This piece takes me back to that moment when I saw the raw copy and how I had yet to see a near mint book from this era, this also reminds me of how I once had 9.8 books from the early '70s on an unattainable pedestal. Now that I think about it the concept of the pedestal can be dangerous as well...

13689.jpg

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd

Of all the collectors I know, a Rocky Mountain is most fitting to be in the hands of someone who has such a majestic view of Pike's Peak. Of course you're partial to it! :)

Doesn't Superman's "Satanic Son" look a lot like Zan from the Wondertwins of the Superfriends animated TV show?

So basically we have another mystery... no idea what the story is about... only a cover with select images.

Do you remember the last time we conjured up our own ideas for the Red Sonja you own?

Perhaps we should do it for this one as well?

SW3D

Edited by screenwriter3d

I do remember when we did this for the Red Sonja cover, let's see what we can think up for this one.

I like the idea of Superman being manipulated by a villain, perhaps a villain who recognizes a desire in Superman, a desire for a family? I can see where Superman would think he has a son, where he sees something good but the rest of the world sees something much different, thanks to the manipulations of a foe.

And how would this deception come to be? Black magic, a hypnotic trance or naivety on Superman's part? I like the black magic idea, I could see someone like Darkseid or Morgan le Fay behind this.

What ideas have you got?

• Administrator

This is the original view of this journal on the Chat Boards. This view is locked, so members can no longer reply here.

This journal is also posted in the new Journals section, which is unlocked. Click the link below to see any other comments about this journal and post new replies.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/blogs/entry/2907-book-no-4/

• Administrator

You can also click "My Journal" in the main menu to quickly find your own journal, journal entries, and replies.

07 My Journal CGC.png

And you can search all journals by using the search tool.

08 Search Journals CGC.png

• Administrator

You can find journal entries by a specific author by using the search tool and visiting their profile, and you can follow members to get notifications when they post new content.

09 Members Journals CGC.png

1 1