• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,226 posts in this topic

How about what you consider to be the most underpriced pre-code horror book in the current OS guide? I've mentioned some in this thread, but I'm curious to hear what you guys think. I have a few of them.

Oh, GOOD QUESTION! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Calling Povertyrow!

Calling PrecodeKieth!

Car54, where are you? popcorn.gif

Hmmm....I think most of the Comic Media horror stuff is underpriced in OS. Not that I'm complaining too loudly, as it works to my advantage (I'm hunting these suckers down). These books are tough to come by in high grade. Same is also true for the Frankenstein books by Prize, but I think guide prices reflect their scarcity with greater accuracy (though OS is still too low).

In terms of specific issues.....hmm, I'll have to think about some. I'm sure something will strike me.

Any pre-code horror book...

although my main gripes with the guide are key books that should be obvious to the advisors.

I agree with the Comic Media books. Horrific, as an example, is very hard to find in high grade. The prices in guide are simply laughable! Horrific #3 is probably a 3x guide book. Who has seen a Horrific #2? Horrific #1 in VG for $100? HAHAHA! The later issues also are really tough in high grade. I find them regularly in VG but don't recall seeing anything better.

How about what you consider to be the most underpriced pre-code horror book in the current OS guide? I've mentioned some in this thread, but I'm curious to hear what you guys think. I have a few of them.

I have two favorites I have been mentioning for a long time now: Menace 11 and Mister Mystery 13.

I feel both covers are very dynamic and powerful. The Menace stories are just plai good Atlas. The Mister Mystery has some outstanding stories - my fave being the gossips.

Neither are broken out and, alonf with Menace 9, 11 is my favorite Menace issue. MM13 is, in my opinion, subtler than 11 or 12 but much more chilling.

menace11a.jpg

mm13small.jpg

menace9small.jpg

Love this Gene Colan cover - 9 IS borken out in the guide but just think it and 11 are the 2 best Menace issues.

Edited by povertyrow

I mentioned this on another thread, but Weird Mysteries #5 is ridiculously undervalued in guide. What is most likely the most recognizable non-EC pre-code horror cover easily sells for 3x guide. How could the guide so badly miss the value of this book? I saw two of these with amateur restoration going for 2x-3x guide.

I would say that almost all the Weird Mysteries issues are undervalued in guide.

P.S. : this is not my copy... found this one on the web....

weird_mysteries5.jpg

Edited by paull

I'm convinced that out of all the artists in the pre-code era, Bernard Baily had a love for that kind of material. Compare his work on the Spectre to his horror stuff... the former is cool, but the latter is classic. His covers are gruesome... there's a special kind of nastiness that he included in the majority of them... from the ghastly heads on Weird Mysteries #2 to the disgusting severed head on Weird Mysteries #6 to the red hot poker of Mistery Mystery #12.

I think there's a difference between "undervalued in guide" and "underappreciated by fandom". I would consider the Menace issue, Mister Mystery 13 and Beware Terror Tales #8 in the latter category. The question is, are these books selling for way over guide now? We may believe that they _should_ be more appreciated than they are, but that's different than the guide not recognizing regular sales of the books for premium prices.

I think there's a difference between "undervalued in guide" and "underappreciated by fandom". I would consider the Menace issue, Mister Mystery 13 and Beware Terror Tales #8 in the latter category. The question is, are these books selling for way over guide now? We may believe that they _should_ be more appreciated than they are, but that's different than the guide not recognizing regular sales of the books for premium prices.

The Menace 11 and MM13 are, or at least have been for a few years now, been selling apprecaibly over guide, and neither is broken out.

The Menace 11 and MM13 are, or at least have been for a few years now, been selling apprecaibly over guide, and neither is broken our.

Thanks for showing that Menace off Pov, now that has been added to the list!

Along with those The Thing books frustrated.gif

One of my favorite Bernard Bailey covers is Beware Terror Tales #1. Great collage of ghouls and demons against a white background. I don't know what that book usually sells for, but I would definitely put it in the "underappreciated by fandom" camp.

Thanks for the info, POV... I haven't been following those books, so I'm not sure what they sell for. Although, I consider all Mister Mystery issues to be underpriced in guide.

Agreed on Beware Terror Tales #1... I love that Baily cover! He created some great covers with montages of ghostly images.

Edited by paull

Oh man, I can't wait to chime in on this! I have some very "interesting" views on this, but they will have to wait until I get time. frown.gif

I'm jetting out the door in a few minutes to spend the night at my girlfriend's, and will be raiding some comic shops tomorrow with my cousin. Wish me luck!

BTW - some cool choices so far! gossip.gif