• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,222 posts in this topic

On 12/30/2021 at 6:56 PM, Robot Man said:

Thanks for the tip. I will have to pull it out and reread it again. Here is my copy. Picked out of the $2.00 boxes at Cherokee Books in the late 1960's. @Tri-ColorBrian. I got lots of my PCH there back in the day. 

commysteriousadvs12.jpg

You was smarter than me...hm

On 12/30/2021 at 5:56 PM, Robot Man said:

Thanks for the tip. I will have to pull it out and reread it again. Here is my copy. Picked out of the $2.00 boxes at Cherokee Books in the late 1960's. @Tri-ColorBrian. I got lots of my PCH there back in the day. 

commysteriousadvs12.jpg

I bought an Action 3 at Cherokee Books in the 60's for full retail. $25.00. Around a vg/fine. Traded it for a bunch of stupid books to an older, savvier collector who hounded me day and night to get it.

On 12/31/2021 at 2:10 AM, The Black Hand ® said:

Traded it for a bunch of stupid books to an older, savvier collector who hounded me day and night to get it.

That should have been your first clue. :frown:

On 12/30/2021 at 6:25 PM, G-G © ® ™ said:

That should have been your first clue. :frown:

What can I say. I'm a dummy. Oddly enough, one of the books I got in the trade and later sold, I required 20 years ago. A pep 34. It was a fluke getting it back, so it's been a keeper. 

On 12/31/2021 at 11:20 AM, Robot Man said:

That could have been me…:roflmao:

My dad took me there in the mid ‘60’s before I could drive. PCH were a buck apiece. ECs were $5-8 each in in the inner room. Later, when I could drive, I made a trip there once a month from Pasadena. I bought stacks of dollar PCH and other books from the boxes in the hall. Still have most of them. 

It was a wonderful area with Cherokee, Collector’s Book Store and best of all, Bond Street Books where I eventually got my More Fun #52 there. 

can we please go back to those days :luhv:

On 12/31/2021 at 10:14 AM, Funnybooks said:

Thanks for sharing these photos and the stories..would love to hear more..

You bet it was a wonderful time to be a budding collector. Long before real "comic book stores" and the internet. I know there are quite a few old time LA collectors who could chime in here. @Tri-ColorBrian @fifties @Yellow Kid @Hap Hazard and probably more...

The only ECs I bought at Cherokee were the old Mad comics, but when I discovered the horror and sci-fi issues around 1972 I picked up quite a few from some guy that lived in the Hollywood area in 1973.  I was directed to him by Steve Edrington at Bond Street Books.  About a year later I met a collector that lived in the San Fernando valley.  He sold me this Weird Science for $5 because it was wavy due to moisture damage.  I've flattened it out mostly, but it still could use a good press...

16366600069_46c4371126_c.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian