• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,226 posts in this topic

On 1/7/2022 at 11:15 AM, Robot Man said:

Some talk a page or so back about the grossest issue of Mysterious Adventures. I decided to re-read it's sister publication Dark Mysteries. One of the great things about having a full run of raw copies is you can actually see this stuff. Although, EC is the king of horror, Story Publications did a pretty good imitation of them. Of course the stories were a bit second rate and the art was for the most part pretty 3rd rate, they really managed to really push the envelope...

I might give the "Horror of the Mixed Torsos" the nod for the goriest story in the run.

Story seemed to like "chopping" quite a bit.

AFA "chopping" goes, EC was masterful.  They didn't specifically show the actual cutting, but you could feel and cringe from what they described and did show.  Just the difference between horror in "good taste" vs that in graphic depiction.

Tales-from-Crypt-32-Cutting-Cards.jpg

On 1/8/2022 at 8:52 PM, Robot Man said:

Stayed up a little late last night (the best time to read horror comics). I found another title I'm sure my mom would have NOT approved of. 

Charlton is for the most part a pretty lame publisher (with exceptions of course). But they really knew how to bring the gore. The closer to the end, the better they got at it. 

The Thing is the first title that came to mind. More than it's share in this 17 issue run...

What do you think? Would your mom have approved of this title?

comthingrun.jpg

IMG_3431.jpeg

IMG_3432.jpeg

IMG_3433.jpeg

IMG_3434.jpeg

IMG_3435.jpeg

IMG_3436.jpeg

IMG_3438.jpeg

IMG_3440.jpeg

IMG_3441.jpeg

IMG_3443.jpeg

IMG_3444.jpeg

IMG_3445.jpeg

IMG_3446.jpeg

IMG_3447.jpeg

IMG_3449.jpeg

IMG_3450.jpeg

IMG_3430.jpeg

IMG_3437.jpeg

IMG_3439.jpeg

Good wholesome entertainment guaranteed not to give you nightmares. 

On 1/14/2022 at 3:52 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

Thanks again @Dale Roberts

D03804C3-7F2E-4DAC-AF49-0F99D7FE7D55.jpeg

Congrats. I love this book. I also have a low grade copy. 

I'm really proud of it because it is the book that is on the GCD.  :cloud9:

gththt.jpg

On 1/14/2022 at 6:52 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

That’s neat!  How did that happen?

I have no idea.

I just noticed it one day. It's kinda nice. Doesn't add any value to the book, but doesn't do it any harm either.