• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,226 posts in this topic

On 2/16/2022 at 8:54 PM, Ivan Ivanstein said:

Another big load of pre-Code goodies arrived yesterday! 160 comics, of which these are highlights.... More fun stuff is expected to arrive soon!

horror comics 2022.jpg

Anything we should be keeping an eye out for over in the sales threads?  ;)

What's the story behind this? Original owner collection you stumbled across? 

On 2/17/2022 at 6:53 AM, Nic8612 said:

Anything we should be keeping an eye out for over in the sales threads?  ;)

What's the story behind this? Original owner collection you stumbled across? 

I'll post in the sales threads when it's closer to auction time... the sale won't be until June 9th. I'm still hunting up consignments. 

These came from a longtime collector who started buying pre-Code horror decades ago. He's got loads of wonderful ECs as well, including pretty much every New Trend comic, and I'm hoping to do a single-owner sale of those sometime in the future... 

I've been a pre-Code fan for decades, ever since I was a teen, so doing a deep dive into this collection is a dream come true! I wish I could buy 'em all myself, but as an auction man my policy is not to get high on my own supply! That's the reason I have my boss create limited edition hardcovers of my comic sale catalogues: so I can have a permanent memento of all of the great comics that pass through my hands. For me, it's the next best thing to ownership... Here's my hardcover copy of our previous catalogue, with some of my reference library in the background.

pba hardcover oct 2021 sale.jpg

On 2/17/2022 at 12:16 PM, Ivan Ivanstein said:

I'll post in the sales threads when it's closer to auction time... the sale won't be until June 9th. I'm still hunting up consignments. 

These came from a longtime collector who started buying pre-Code horror decades ago. He's got loads of wonderful ECs as well, including pretty much every New Trend comic, and I'm hoping to do a single-owner sale of those sometime in the future... 

I've been a pre-Code fan for decades, ever since I was a teen, so doing a deep dive into this collection is a dream come true! I wish I could buy 'em all myself, but as an auction man my policy is not to get high on my own supply! That's the reason I have my boss create limited edition hardcovers of my comic sale catalogues: so I can have a permanent memento of all of the great comics that pass through my hands. For me, it's the next best thing to ownership... Here's my hardcover copy of our previous catalogue, with some of my reference library in the background.

Ahhh didn't realize you were with PBA! I just made my first purchase from you guys in your last golden age auction :)

On 2/17/2022 at 12:16 PM, Ivan Ivanstein said:

The comic books come and go but the knowledge and memories of them remain and we take them with us…

On 2/16/2022 at 5:54 PM, Ivan Ivanstein said:

Another big load of pre-Code goodies arrived yesterday! 160 comics, of which these are highlights.... More fun stuff is expected to arrive soon!

horror comics 2022.jpg

Not much to pick from, Ivan; only two that I don't have.  :wink:

On 2/18/2022 at 3:07 PM, Sauce Dog said:

I often take months to slowly add single issues to my cart on mycomicshop, and only finally checking out once a decent graded book to comes up in order to make shipping it all together worthwhile for me here in Canada).

This confuses me.

Are you saying that MCS lets you sit on books for months without paying and thereby holding them for you without charge and prevent themselves from selling said books?

Because if so.......gangway!!!  :banana:

On 2/18/2022 at 10:11 AM, G-G © ® ™ said:

This confuses me.

Are you saying that MCS lets you sit on books for months without paying and thereby holding them for you without charge and prevent themselves from selling said books?

Because if so.......gangway!!!  :banana:

I’m pretty sure that if someone else buys it, it disappears from your cart. I could be wrong though as I never ordered from them…

On 2/18/2022 at 3:28 PM, Jayman said:

I’m pretty sure that if someone else buys it, it disappears from your cart. I could be wrong though as I never ordered from them…

I see, that makes sense.

I buy from them on a semi-regular basis and I was never aware you could just sit on books without paying! Not that I would, it would be too risky to lose a book you really want.

On 2/18/2022 at 10:30 AM, G-G © ® ™ said:

I see, that makes sense.

I buy from them on a semi-regular basis and I was never aware you could just sit on books without paying! Not that I would, it would be too risky to lose a book you really want.

Yup this is what I mean, I just add items to my cart but do not complete the checkout (I also keep a screen shot each month of the cart just to notice if anything dropped out and I need to find a new copy). Since most of the smaller stuff I'm adding are low grade books to use as reader copies they don't often get bought and removed from the cart - I only pull the trigger once I have a big book I REALLY want and makes the shipping process worthwhile.

On 2/18/2022 at 3:39 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Yup this is what I mean, I just add items to my cart but do not complete the checkout (I also keep a screen shot each month of the cart just to notice if anything dropped out and I need to find a new copy). Since most of the smaller stuff I'm adding are low grade books to use as reader copies they don't often get bought and removed from the cart - I only pull the trigger once I have a big book I REALLY want and makes the shipping process worthwhile.

Ah, ok. Thanks for clarifying. (thumbsu

On 2/18/2022 at 10:28 AM, Jayman said:

That is correct. I can confirm I had books in my cart got distracted and went back an hour later to "check out" and one of the books was gone and sold on the site.