• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,226 posts in this topic

On 10/31/2022 at 1:42 PM, AndyFish said:

Got a lot at Baltimore-- I'm posting here and in the Cigar thread.  I don't want to hijack so I'll limit it to a couple a day...

First up, MYSTERY TALES-- always loved this cover-- had a rough 2.0 copy years ago so I was happy to find this upgrade.

MYSTERY TALES.jpeg

Almost every copy of this issue has faded reds on the left.  This is a really pretty one.  Congrats!

On 10/31/2022 at 12:43 PM, AndyFish said:

And how about a little SUSPENSE!   Always love the design of these covers.

SUSPENSE.jpeg

A real cool title. When I first started collecting PCH, I was gravitated to this title because many were 52 pages. I believe the only Atlas horror title to have the additional pages. Always seemed like a good deal for the money. 

I've been going back through this thread page by page trying to get together a complete list of all Horror and Sci-Fi titles that existed from around 1939 up until 1955. I just keep finding more and more titles and books that I really didn't know were out there. Kind of amazing how many there were in such a short period of time, especially in the early 50's. And interesting to see how they just kept pushing the limits up until they couldn't. Thanks to all who've posted. (thumbsu

On 11/1/2022 at 2:23 PM, Professor K said:

I've been going back through this thread page by page trying to get together a complete list of all Horror and Sci-Fi titles that existed from around 1939 up until 1955. I just keep finding more and more titles and books that I really didn't know were out there. Kind of amazing how many there were in such a short period of time, especially in the early 50's. And interesting to see how they just kept pushing the limits up until they couldn't. Thanks to all who've posted. (thumbsu

"Tales to Terrible to Tell" is a 13 issue comic book series covering all of the publishers and titles of PCH.  Highly recommended.  They used to be available for cover price but not sure that's the case now.

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/title/a09ad516-0892-4c76-a947-60f81a852a32/Tales-Too-Terrible-to-Tell

On 11/1/2022 at 11:23 AM, Professor K said:

As an avid, long term PCH collector, If you delve into pre 1950 and all the various genres of crime, western. Sci Fi and even humor and other genres, the list is rather mind boggling. 

On 11/2/2022 at 11:31 AM, Robot Man said:

As an avid, long term PCH collector, If you delve into pre 1950 and all the various genres of crime, western. Sci Fi and even humor and other genres, the list is rather mind boggling. 

Sure is. I have counted 72 titles so far . Straight up horror titles including titles that shifted into horror. Not even Sci Fi titles, only horror.  And I know there are a more I haven't found yet. 

Edited by Professor K
spelling correction