• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,222 posts in this topic

Definitely not LB Cole.  He didn't do draw anything for Nedor/Standard.  Most likely it's Sekowsky, which is what GCD also notes.

On 12/4/2022 at 3:55 PM, adamstrange said:

Definitely not LB Cole.  He didn't do draw anything for Nedor/Standard.  Most likely it's Sekowsky, which is what GCD also notes.

I didn't challenge him on it but thats what I thought.

Do you have any thoughts or opinions on the Whiz 154?

On 12/4/2022 at 4:33 PM, Raze said:

Two years ago I saw this book at a local shop and didn't pick it up because of the $300 price tag. But today at a local show I found it at a different dealers booth with the original price tag of $300. The guy said he could work with me and offered it for $150 ( I went to his booth because a friend said it was offered to him for $150 but passed) so I asked to take the book out, he did and once I opened the book (cover detached and 90% split) he said $125, so I finished counting pages and made a lower offer and he took it.

Ive always liked the cover but this title seems like its always going up. He also told me that it was a L.B.Cole cover? It looks nothing like a Cole cover to me.

I did pass on a book that has peaked my interest. Its Whiz Comics 154. Theres 20 blue CGC, none on or finished on ebay and OSPG says "Scarce"? and its first Doctor Death in this title and has hanging panels. Thats all I know. 

I know the dealer so I can still get the book. My question is since Im a PCH fan like most here should it be in my collection, is it really a "scarce" book? Why would you want to own it?

Scan 2022-12-4 15.09.26.jpg

Not scarce but not out there in nice condition like most PCH but i love it :banana:

On 12/4/2022 at 4:57 PM, Raze said:

Do you have any thoughts or opinions on the Whiz 154?

LB Cole didn't draw that cover either. :kidaround:

That's a cool book that is difficult to find in high grade.  I'm not the best person to advise on availability or typical price on lower grade comics.

On 12/4/2022 at 1:33 PM, Raze said:

Two years ago I saw this book at a local shop and didn't pick it up because of the $300 price tag. But today at a local show I found it at a different dealers booth with the original price tag of $300. The guy said he could work with me and offered it for $150 ( I went to his booth because a friend said it was offered to him for $150 but passed) so I asked to take the book out, he did and once I opened the book (cover detached and 90% split) he said $125, so I finished counting pages and made a lower offer and he took it.

Ive always liked the cover but this title seems like its always going up. He also told me that it was a L.B.Cole cover? It looks nothing like a Cole cover to me.

I did pass on a book that has peaked my interest. Its Whiz Comics 154. Theres 20 blue CGC, none on or finished on ebay and OSPG says "Scarce"? and its first Doctor Death in this title and has hanging panels. Thats all I know. 

I know the dealer so I can still get the book. My question is since Im a PCH fan like most here should it be in my collection, is it really a "scarce" book? Why would you want to own it?

Scan 2022-12-4 15.09.26.jpg

As previously stated, that is NOT an L.B. Cole cover.  He drew -I think exclusively- for his Star Publications.  

AFA should you get the Whiz Comics issue, it's strictly a personal decision.  You don't have to conform to any standard as a PCH collector. I have some unrelated to horror books just for the cover, some just for one story, etc.  If it peaked your interest, then maybe "scratch the itch", LOL!

On 12/4/2022 at 5:04 PM, fifties said:

As previously stated, that is NOT an L.B. Cole cover.  He drew -I think exclusively- for his Star Publications.  

AFA should you get the Whiz Comics issue, it's strictly a personal decision.  You don't have to conform to any standard as a PCH collector. I have some unrelated to horror books just for the cover, some just for one story, etc.  If it peaked your interest, then maybe "scratch the itch", LOL!

Ive been taking to a friend about it and he said the same thing and gave me some prices on the book (whiz 154) plus I called the owner of the book and he will bring it to next weeks show and said he'd honor his offer price if it doesn't sell in his store by then.

I guess I didn't know anything about it and was curious as to what the story around it was if anything.

Thanks

Edited by Raze

On 12/4/2022 at 7:42 PM, Paul © ® ™ 💙 ️ said:

I love this book. I hesitated on a 5.5 some time ago and have regretted it ever since.

I did manage to get a really nice 1.5 for consolation. For comparison I've included a 1.5 up now on ebay in the spoiler box. :insane:

Mine is way better I think. :cloud9:

image.thumb.jpeg.68f6424267ad472ce0834787cdde29a4.jpeg

Hide contents

s-l1600.jpg

I think both of ours (1.5) present much better. 
Congrats on your copy!

On 12/5/2022 at 1:47 AM, Raze said:

I think both of ours (1.5) present much better. 
Congrats on your copy!

Same to you, it's a nice book to have this one, just love the cover.