• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,192 posts in this topic

On 12/6/2022 at 9:33 AM, LadyDeath said:

How about that body just laying there? Creepy!

Wow good eyes there!  I've had that book forever, and don't think I ever noticed the hubby/BF laying on the floor.

On 12/6/2022 at 3:26 PM, fifties said:

Wow good eyes there!  I've had that book forever, and don't think I ever noticed the hubby/BF laying on the floor.

Yeah, easy to miss! I didn't notice it until analyzing the condition of the slab.

On 5/27/2022 at 3:00 PM, Paul © ® ™ 💙 ️ said:

Just in. Low grade for sure, but I wanted a copy for now, as this book is getting silly price-wise.

Not too bad for the grade, and it's by Joe Maneely, total legend in comic book land. <3

a.jpg

b.jpg

Somebody please explain something to me: This comic is graded 1.0, almost at the bottom of the ladder. Why would you keep it in the slab? How much damage could you possibly do to it by READING it?? What is the point of keeping a book in lousy condition in a slab? It's already trashed! Seriously, why?

On 12/7/2022 at 4:25 AM, Big Brother said:

Somebody please explain something to me: This comic is graded 1.0, almost at the bottom of the ladder. Why would you keep it in the slab? How much damage could you possibly do to it by READING it?? What is the point of keeping a book in lousy condition in a slab? It's already trashed! Seriously, why?

Seriously? Why not?

On 12/7/2022 at 3:25 AM, Big Brother said:

Zzutak answered this perfectly. I'm just adding that I tend to buy key PCH books in lower grade, almost exclusively slabbed because I don't want any surprises on grading, or issues inside the book. I recently had a pretty nasty grade drop from a competitor-graded book to a CGC-graded book because the competitor missed a pretty important component of grading: tanning.

If a grading company can miss something like that, so can hundreds of other sellers on raw books. I don't want to drop several thousand dollars on a book and have to deal with a major defect and trying to wrestle out a return, etc etc.

Another one in quick succession and this completes my limited purchases for '22.

I particularly love the colours on this book.

ghtt.jpg

Ubbbtt.jpg

FYI - for those possibly bidding on the CSS 22 on eBay, it has four staples and isn’t mentioned in the description. 

Don’t know if manufactured like that or added after. Also don’t know where the other two come into play; I see two on the front cover, four at the centerfold, none on the back cover, and nothing noticeable on the spine. 

On 12/14/2022 at 1:38 AM, manetteska said:

FYI - for those possibly bidding on the CSS 22 on eBay, it has four staples and isn’t mentioned in the description. 

Don’t know if manufactured like that or added after. Also don’t know where the other two come into play; I see two on the front cover, four at the centerfold, none on the back cover, and nothing noticeable on the spine. 

If it's the same book I'm looking at, the seller also has some dubious feedback.

I don't understand why some people are willing to drop big bucks with a seller on ebay who isn't whiter than white?.....but it's not my money.

Place is a minefield as is.

Edited by Paul © ® ™ 💙 ⚽️

On 12/13/2022 at 7:38 PM, manetteska said:

Just saw the book and it looks funny, Trimmed maybe? The insides look small than the cover by a little bit...I dont know if this seller is bad because I got a Vault of horror 25 last year from this seller. Had no problems.

Edited by Raze
added info

On 12/13/2022 at 5:38 PM, manetteska said:

Those extra two staples were obviously added after, and not very professionally at that.  Notice how tight the opposite pages are at the bottom.

Didn't seem to matter though; 46 bidders, $4,712 hammer price.  This issue has really taken off since last year, and seems to be the grail for pre code crime, thx to it's notoriety as the star in the 1954 Senate investigation into comic books.

Edited by fifties