• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,226 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2023 at 1:36 PM, manetteska said:

Example 3. 

This one I do regret a little. 1D2D241A-DE87-4807-A589-A381D994839B.thumb.jpeg.977602e1eca5ab2d8b4f1e5c6e61e578.jpeg

No way, IMO this cover is way underrated, so much cool unusual and intense stuff going on here.  And that's a beauty copy!   I'm probably in the minority around here, but it's my fave of the 3.  Well done says me.  

Edited by Black Bat

On 4/1/2023 at 1:08 AM, Black Bat said:

Considered a sort of classic, I was never drawn to this cover until I recently met one in person.  Now I have one and I'm having a hard time putting it away. A puzzle I'm obsessed with solving.  First, there's a time-warping progression of decapitated floating female heads, evolving from a prototypical 1950's attractive woman, into.... what?  Is she a he now?  A gnarly grandma?  A gnarly grandpa??  And what's that fury stuff around the neck- is it a vulture maybe, they have furry necks, right?  That is a bird beak, no?  An owl then?  And those snakes, I've never seen such big heads on such skinny bodies.  Are they emerging from Grandma's body. Medusa like?   What does it all mean???

"Here son, I stopped by the newsstand and brought you home a comic book."  "Oh wow thanks Dad!"

Oh yeah. and there's a balding middle aged man with blood running down his face because a giant monster hand is clawing out his eyes.  

Screen Shot 2023-03-31 at 9.51.40 PM.png

This is a classic injury to eye cover by Lou Morales. Look at how fine Lou’s pencilling is. Would love to see the original art on this one. Gruesome and bloody. One of the top injury to eye covers in precode horror! 

On 4/1/2023 at 5:19 PM, bronze johnny said:

This is a classic injury to eye cover by Lou Morales. Look at how fine Lou’s pencilling is. Would love to see the original art on this one. Gruesome and bloody. One of the top injury to eye covers in precode horror! 

Yep. Pretty underrated.

On 4/1/2023 at 2:29 PM, fifties said:

I have the full run of The Thing, and that is the most gruesome cover of the title.  Sorry for the lousy pic, I'm a better collector than a photographer.

The Thing Run.JPG

The most gruesome cover in one of the best non-EC precode horror runs says a great deal. We need to remember that a blue label without the“Classic Cover” notation does not in any way define cover of the book inside the slab. It takes a consensus of true collectors and those who appreciate this art form to decide whether a cover is a classic. The flip side to this is who doesn’t think the cover to Thing 7 is a classic? 

On 4/1/2023 at 11:29 AM, fifties said:

I have the full run of The Thing, and that is the most gruesome cover of the title.  Sorry for the lousy pic, I'm a better collector than a photographer.

The Thing Run.JPG

You’re a photographer? Who’d a thought? :baiting::bigsmile:

On 4/1/2023 at 2:53 PM, manetteska said:

The most recent and the most random purchase. I think I was riding high on my own supply. 

May need help determining value and how high I was. 

A370EAF7-0313-4F26-9430-313A8E7AA2E4.thumb.jpeg.53a0b68e6d4f6c4c9d9c2dc82aa92443.jpeg

Definitely a valuable issue, and it seems like USA Comics across the board don't come up often. It's a Timely series, so I'd imagine there's strong demand for these. This reminded me of when I was going through my dad's comic book collection for the first time. I had no idea what I would find, and all I knew is that he used to be a serious collector. I eventually found a pile of Golden Age books, this USA #1 being at the top of the stack. I was stunned...until I opened all of them to find that each of them were reprints from the 1970s. Here is the stack (sorry for bad pic quality):

wedox838f18a1.thumb.jpeg.3ae3a4cfc432203e0b3fa2162baadddd.jpeg

On 4/1/2023 at 12:55 PM, bronze johnny said:

The most gruesome cover in one of the best non-EC precode horror runs says a great deal. We need to remember that a blue label without the“Classic Cover” notation does not in any way define cover of the book inside the slab. It takes a consensus of true collectors and those who appreciate this art form to decide whether a cover is a classic. The flip side to this is who doesn’t think the cover to Thing 7 is a classic? 

Yep! Graphic “Injury to the Eye” cover. I’m real partial to #15 (giant worm) cover as well.

I discovered this title way back when I was still wet behind the ears. Super gruesome contents. Since it wasn’t an EC, prices were dirt cheap. Didn’t take me long or much money to complete.

#16 is a real good one as well content wise. Was very plentiful for a while due to a warehouse find. I have probably seen more high grade copies rather than low grade ones.