• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,221 posts in this topic

Nice Voodoo #1 ! I really like the Farrell books, and Voodoo in particular. Are the stories all horror-related or is some sci-fi mixed in?

There are four stories, all horror related. The stories included are Shelf of skulls, The Golden Ghouls, The Werewolf, & The Haunted Ones.

That looks like a pretty tight Voodoo 1 - very nice. LSC? Mail order? Ebay?

It is a nice copy. There are a couple of light creases on the bottom right corner that don't show on the scan but over all I'm pleased with it. I got it on ebay and paid about a G/VG price. Not bad thumbsup2.gif

As too many of you know, I've been looking for a copy of Weird Mysteries #5 for months now, with no luck. As a result of my searching, which consisted of calling a dozen dealers in the Overstreet book, watching websites of my preferred dealers, putting the book on my want list with a few of them, watching ComicLink, watching eBay, going to numerous shows including the Philadelphia Wizard show, local Philly shows and a Big Apple show, this is what I located:

2.0 copy with major chunks missing from the cover

3.0 (apparent) copy with glue on the cover, possible color touch, and amateur piece replacement on back cover

4.0 (apparent) copy with tear seal and possible color touch

None of these were possibilities for me. I could have dealt with major chunks missing out of the back cover, but not the front, and I don't buy books with any kind of restoration, and the latter two books were from a very disreputable dealer.

Heritage has never sold a copy, and I've never seen one on ComicLink or eBay (at least in the past six months).

My pals here at the Boards, Aces and Shrunkenhead, pointed me to Metro which just received a copy. The book was on my want list with Metro, but they didn't notify me for some reason.

Dealers have told me that the book, if they had one, would sell for 3x guide. I paid about that with Metro. It sounds like crazy money, but it's a book that I absolutely had to have for my collection and I was turning up nothing over a long period of time. The more I wait, the more I would have to pay. My prediction is that this book is going to catch up in guide, and regardless, will probably be an $800-$1000 book in VG within a couple of years.

I just received the copy today and I'm quite pleased... It's exactly what I was hoping to find... an unrestored copy with a good cover image and no chunks missing. There's a bit of scuffing on the outer edges, but nothing that mars the cover image. No tears, but a light reading crease at the bottom middle of the cover. Cover is attached at both staples, with one of them not so solidly. I'm going to have to be careful opening it.

Consider me thrilled to have this book... I've been waiting a while... It makes a beautiful companion to my Weird Mysteries 2 in 3.5 and my Weird Mysteries 6 in 3.5. As far as I'm concerned, this book has one of the classic covers of the pre-code era, and is one of, if not the premier, iconic horror covers. The cover is not the only selling point of the book... one of the interior stories, "Swamp Monster" by Wolverton is simply amazing. The rest of the stories are of high caliber as well.

614737-wm5_small.jpg

614737-wm5_small.jpg.6f8668786ddda1e9ce712645abb97a2d.jpg

Edited by paull

Thanks... I don't use the term "grail" often, but this one qualifies for me. I've wanted a copy for about ten years, but actively looked for the past six months.

I have other books that are on my list, including three L.B. Cole covers, but it will probably take me another ten years to locate those in a grade I can afford.

Hey Shrunk, thanks a lot for the tip! It's not like I have money around to make purchases like these. I am beginning to feel the effects of spending way too much money on old comic books.

I can't imagine what a CGC VF copy would sell for. Any estimates? I'm thinking maybe over $3000.

May you find one at the OS price!

Edited by paull

I don't use the term "grail" often,

Makes sense since it would no longer have any meaning! grin.gif

Seriously - that looks to be an ideal book. Apparantly affordable for you but also a very nice grade that displays beautifully. A proud thang!

Thanks all!

Wow, a 7.5... I'd love to know what that sold for. I'm guessing over $2000 easy. No one here on the Boards has mentioned having a copy. Anyone have one? What grade?

WM #5 is seriously hard to find... yet the other issues don't seem to be anywhere near as rare. Surely they are tucked away in collections, but I wouldn't be surprised if one or more collectors/dealers hoarded them at some point. I suspect the same is true of Horrific #3 and Mister Mystery #12.

Edited by paull

With all that said, I guarantee a copy shows up on ComicLink or eBay in the next month. Whenever I look hard for something and locate it, a flurry of them show up for sale! yeahok.gif

Hey, that's okay too! If a nicer one pops up, grab it and flip the other. At any rate, congratulations on getting "The Ungetable" you've searched ten long years for.

Enjoy!

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

paull, congrats on the WM #5 - I still remember the excitement of finally getting a copy myself - though my wait was more like 2 years.

A few posts back someone brought up the topic of underappreciated pre-code horror. Here is a book that I've always felt deserved more attention, but can probably still be picked up for it's fairly low guide price. I first bought a copy of Adventures into Weird Worlds #24 when I was a kid in the early 70s - that copy is long gone, but when I rediscovered it in the Gerber guide back in the early 90s, it was one of the first pre-code horror books I purchased when I got back into collecting. A classic Everett cover!

616214-weirdworlds.jpg

616214-weirdworlds.jpg.077c28df2c006cecff63aa914073bef8.jpg