• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,192 posts in this topic

Hey! Yet another cover that Morse used again in the Stanely mags some years later. I've a copy somewhere around here, I'll have to see if I can dig it up.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, I recognized it as I have only two Stanley Mags. It's Shock # 4 either Vol. 2 or 3 I believe.

I just picked this one up, but I am still waiting to receive it in the mail...

p14.jpg

Nice pickup for Halloween! That looks better than VG/F to me.

Nice book! The L.B. Cole Star Publications books with a couple of exceptions (Blue Bolt 111, 113, Shocking Mystery 51, Startling Terror Tales 11, etc.) are no problem to get in VG, but anything in F or better is pretty tough. I bought a few Star books over the past year in 5.0 or better and I feel pretty lucky to do so.

I consider Star books in VG or less to be almost universally overpriced by dealers and very plentiful at shows. I've bought them directly from collectors for much more reasonable prices. I buy them regularly from collectors for about 50-60% of what dealers charge for them. I'm thinking of selling off some of my lower grade Cole books and trying to find ones in around 5.0.

Edited by paull

I just picked this one up, but I am still waiting to receive it in the mail...

p14.jpg

Nice pickup for Halloween! That looks better than VG/F to me.

Hey Bat_Fan;

Let us know what you think about the grading once you get the book. I also agree that from the scan, it definitely looks better than VG/F to me. I have seen other GA books from CGG in the 5.0 to 6.5 range and they tend to look nicer than books in the same grade from CGC.

Maybe an opportunity to buy cheaper and resubmit through CGC for a higher resale price!!

I also agree that from the scan, it definitely looks better than VG/F to me. I have seen other GA books from CGG in the 5.0 to 6.5 range and they tend to look nicer than books in the same grade from CGC.

Maybe an opportunity to buy cheaper and resubmit through CGC for a higher resale price!!

I can't say with certainty on GA books, but it has been my personal experience that CGG is WAY tighter than CGC on modern material. TOO TOUGH, if you ask me, but the main problem I have seen on their grading is that they are not consistent whatsoever. I'd imagine that this might carry over to the GA material as well. confused-smiley-013.gif

BTW- they recently changed their name from CGG because of legal issues with CGC. Guess what they changed it to..... PGA! Yeah! No potential infringement their, fellas! 27_laughing.gif knuckleheads...

Here's a recent purchase.... a really nice Fine+ copy of Weird Terror #5, which is probably my favorite of Don Heck's covers in the run. Some wild interior stuff, too... I'll include some panels here.

629835-IMGP1969.JPG

629835-IMGP1969.JPG.cd21c80a543af9688435ac377c6260dd.JPG

Edited by paull

and look at this nasty panel! The woman may be some kind of reanimated dead, but still.... she's getting smashed in the nose with a hammer! Check out the flying teeth!

629840-IMGP1974.JPG

629840-IMGP1974.JPG.c62f5288a062ebba86a0da1d4500be66.JPG

Edited by paull

Here's a recent purchase.... a really nice Fine+ copy of Weird Terror #5, which is probably my favorite of Don Heck's covers in the run. Some wild interior stuff, too... I'll include some panels here.

Amazing cover!! 893applaud-thumb.gif And equally amazing interior stories! 893whatthe.gif