• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,226 posts in this topic

Not my purchase, but I was wondering what you precode fans thought of this price. If it's truely a fine, I'm guessing it's not too bad - not a deal, but considering WM#5 is a horror grail for many, it could have gone higher.

Not a bad price, but, as you say, no super deal either....I had emailed the seller, asking him about restoration on the book, and the response was a little inconclusive, so I held back on bidding. The seller did say he'd be willing to refund money if CGC spotted resto on it, though. I'm sure it'll be a gem in somebody's collection!

If I didn't already purchase a VG copy, I would have bid more. WM #5 often has restoration, so I was a bit wary. If it was being auctioned by a reputable dealer, I would have bid much higher.

I'm no expert in detecting restoration. I feared spending something like $800 on the book and finding out later if the book was CGCed that it had color touch. I figured the guaranteed resto-free VG copy that I have is better.

Edited by paull

Not my purchase, but I was wondering what you precode fans thought of this price. If it's truely a fine, I'm guessing it's not too bad - not a deal, but considering WM#5 is a horror grail for many, it could have gone higher.

Give me a beater-reader any day over that price. gossip.gif

Thank you! hail.gif

I knew it was something like that, but frankly I really don't pursue the L.B. Cole stuff very much. Great covers, but bland horror stories or off-genre reprints inside most of the time. That doesn't appeal to a reader like myself. (please don't pelt me with rocks and garbage! 27_laughing.gif)

If one of you Cole collectors could recommend a list of books with his cover art/but decent non-reprint horror interiors, I would be much obliged! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

If one of you Cole collectors could recommend a list of books with his cover art/but decent non-reprint horror interiors, I would be much obliged!

I'll crack some of my slabs tonight, to see if the stories are good. 893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

Who needs a good story with a Cole cover. grin.gif

Just arrived today - completing my collection of pre-code crime/horror electric chair covers ( I think).

As a bonus it has some pretty gruesome panels inside.

I got it from Neatstuff - and thanks to these boards I was unsurprised that it took over a month - and of course shipped media mail for $8. It was slightly overgraded as a vg/f - (it's more like a vg or vg+), but I think Neatstuff's reputation has hurt them enough that if you are patient you can still get some good deals - as even with the shipping charges this copy cost less than 3.0 guide. I would buy from them again, but only if the price is right.

637594-ma20.jpg

637594-ma20.jpg.163019b521f1281a4043372902612289.jpg

Yes, I've got a Strange Suspense Stories 19 as well as copies of:

Amazing Detective 13, Black Cat Mystery 33, Crime Does Not Pay 42 & 47. Law-Crime 1, All-True Crime 27, Justice 41, Suspense 25, Fight against Crime 14, Manhunt 2, and now, Mysterious Adventures 20 - I am missing an original Shock Suspenstories 1, but will make do with the reprint, unless I come across a ridiculously cheap VG copy. I know Hand of Fate 24 has a small electric chair on the cover - but I don't really think of it as an electric chair cover - I think there might also be an Atlas book with an electric chair in one of the sidebar panels, but that's not enough for me either. I am thinking of branching out into superhero covers with the chair - like Captain Marvel Jr. 119, and I know I've seen a few others from the early 40s, but can't recall exactly what. Anybody with info on Superhero electric chair covers?

Does this book resonate with anyone here? I recently bought a copy of Voodoo Annual #1 (Farrell) which is a Gerber 7. Due to some mistakes by my local USPS office, this book nearly became a Gerber 8. I thought it was completely lost, but tried one last time to get someone with a brain at the post office to find it.

Anyway, this is probably the rarest Farrell horror book, a 100 pager filled with over a dozen stories. This particular copy is about a VG-. It's complete with all the pages attached. Pages are good but has a bit of spine damage. They are often found with detached pages because of the square binding.

Here's the cover and a bunch of splash pages from the stories...

638944-IMGP1993.JPG

638944-IMGP1993.JPG.8e528d4b99e69af63670c7a3c6595177.JPG

Edited by paull