• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,187 posts in this topic

Stronguy, awesome! Where didja get it?

Got it from Beerbohm. I was actually looking for a Punch #12 but no one had one. It had been so long since I had seen this book I decided to snag it while I had the opportunity (and cash).

It a really solid copy but has several wonderful water stains. VG is what I give it. $330 was the final price. I haven't even looked to see what it guides for. Frankly I don't care.

Nope -- part of my permanent collection now.

This is one of those books that has legs. As soon as a dealer gets one it walks out the door. The last time my LCS got one of these it sold in < 2 hours. Bob told me he only had this one for 3 weeks. Dunno if I believe him since it was listed in his new catalog for $325, sticker had been marked $300 at one point, and he had $360 on it at the show.

That's true... it's an easy sell for dealers. Among the other pre-code books with legs are Mister Mystery #12, Weird Mysteries #5 and Horrific #3. Those books sell almost immediately in any condition. I've seen Mistery Mystery #12 in worse condition than any book in my collection (or any collection, for that matter) sell for way, way over guide with no problem.

Edited by paull

WoW!!!

I just looked in my notebook, and I paid $20 for BLACK CAT 50 less than ten years ago! 893whatthe.gif

My how times have changed the pre-code horror market! I'll have to check the grade on it, but I remember it was a nice looker.

Makes me yearn for the days of '94, to some extent. Then again, I'd go to shows back them and dealers either didn't know what "pre-code" meant, or they said "oh, I left a whole long box of that horror at home, it never sells!" frustrated.gif

I just looked in my notebook, and I paid $20 for BLACK CAT 50 less than ten years ago!

If that Black Cat 50 you bought was better than a Fair, you made out like a bandit. I paid $750 for a NM file copy back in '96, and at the time VG copies were selling for $250-$300 if you could find one, but I do remember just 2 or 3 years before that, that it was still possible to buy alot of classic pre-code crime and horror for guide if you were the first to find it - those were the days. Thanks to Harley Yee, I was able to pick up such classics as Horrific #3, Crime does Not Pay #24 and Fight against Crime #20 for guide back then.

I still think pre-code crime and horror is quite affordable - all the classic cover "keys" are still available in mid-grade for well under $1000, and low grade copies for a few hundred at most. If you compare this to Silver Age keys or many GA Superhero "classic covers", let alone keys, it's not that bad. And when you get to lesser "keys" and other cool covers, VG copies often run less than $150, sometimes as little as $30 - $50.

I just looked in my notebook, and I paid $20 for BLACK CAT 50 less than ten years ago!

If that Black Cat 50 you bought was better than a Fair, you made out like a bandit. I paid $750 for a NM file copy back in '96, and at the time VG copies were selling for $250-$300 if you could find one

I just looked in the '94 Overstreet. $84/36/12 were the NM/Fn/Gd prices back then. Today it guides for $900/216/72. Looks like I paid ~2.5x guide -- just about what it usually goes for.

It's ridiculous that ANYTHING sells for 2.5x guide when the guide is updated annually. When is Overstreet going to straighten out prices for obvious key issues? I could name a ton of books that never sell for anything near guide prices: all issues of Weird Tales of the Future, Mister Mystery, Weird Chills, Weird Mysteries, the key Harvey books (Black Cat 50, Witches Tales 25, etc.), Horrific #1-3, Voodoo Annual, etc.

If that Black Cat 50 you bought was better than a Fair, you made out like a bandit. I paid $750 for a NM file copy back in '96, and at the time VG copies were selling for $250-$300 if you could find one

I just looked in the '94 Overstreet. $84/36/12 were the NM/Fn/Gd prices back then. Today it guides for $900/216/72. Looks like I paid ~2.5x guide -- just about what it usually goes for.

Stronguy, do you have a '95 OPG? Believe it or not, I dug this puppy out and the dealer sticker on the bag reads: " Grade:G. Classic gore cover. NM Guide:$100 My Price: $20 Graded:Oct. '95"

The book did have more spine wear than I remembered it having ( sorry.gif), but I'm still proud to own it. Solid Good. I'd say I probably purchased it shortly after it was graded and bagged. (I'm glad the dealer wrote his grade dates on the sticker! That's one thing I should have put in my notebook, but never thought of: PURCHASE DATE!) Hard to believe that late in '95 I was able to snag it for that price! I'd say by Fall '95/Spring '96 is when the pre-code horror "BOOM" was starting to get rolling, what say you all? confused-smiley-013.gif

Well that BCM50 in the auction you posted is missing the 1st page! the contents page should have been first.

I paid $50 for mine 2 years ago with a completely split spine. The rest of the cover looks good, so it was the right copy for me. It is still my favorite horror cover, though Thing #7 is a VERY CLOSE 2nd.

The one thing Overstreet also hasn't acknowledged is the fact that the Sid Check story in the comic is actually Check/Frazetta! The original art came up in heritage about a year ago and it was verified at that point frazetta worked on it. If you look at the art, its way better then anything else check did, so I believe it.

Stronguy, do you have a '95 OPG? Believe it or not, I dug this puppy out and the dealer sticker on the bag reads: " Grade:G. Classic gore cover. NM Guide:$100 My Price: $20 Graded:Oct. '95"

I have almost all of the Overstreets. thumbsup2.gif

Here are the ones I grabbed off the shelf...

Black Cat Mystery #50

1970 - No listed 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1976 - $4 / 3 / 2

1977 - $4 / 2.75 / 1.35

1979 - $6.75 / 4.50 / 2.25

1984 - $40 / 20 / 6.75

1994 - $85 / 6 / 12

1995 - $100 / 43 / 14

1996 - $130 / 56 / 19

1997 - $250 / 107 / 36 893whatthe.gif

1998 - $260 / 107 / 3

2004 - $900 / 216 / 72

I remember the last HG copy of this book that sold on ebay went for around $1100, which was tempting (it was a 9.0). This beauty is marginally too rich for my blood, and does give me the impression that there are a few HG copies out there, but I'd consider going for it if money wasn't tight.

Andy, I agree with your sentiments. The fact that it's a Harvey does give me pause, as that means that there are likely several dozen copies (at least) of this book floating around in vf/nm or better. Plus, it's just too pricey for me ar this time of year. My wife is anything but a golddigger (the fact that she married me proves it!), but don't think I could take the look on her face...I can see it now...

"Look honey, I got you this beeeeauuuutiiiful snowglobe for Christmas this year!! And by the way, check out this NM BCM #50 I bought for me! Shake that snowglobe! Shake it, shake it!!" insane.gif27_laughing.gif

Btw Andy, my slabbed Ghosts came in the mail yesterday, looks great!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Andy, I agree with your sentiments. The fact that it's a Harvey does give me pause, as that means that there are likely several dozen copies (at least) of this book floating around in vf/nm or better. Plus, it's just too pricey for me ar this time of year. My wife is anything but a golddigger (the fact that she married me proves it!), but don't think I could take the look on her face...I can see it now...

"Look honey, I got you this beeeeauuuutiiiful snowglobe for Christmas this year!! And by the way, check out this NM BCM #50 I bought for me! Shake that snowglobe! Shake it, shake it!!" insane.gif27_laughing.gif

Btw Andy, my slabbed Ghosts came in the mail yesterday, looks great!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Just don't let her shake the slabbed BCM! 893whatthe.gif