• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,222 posts in this topic

The cool thing about Atlas (other than good stories and art) is that they really aren't hard at all to put together in nice little runs IF you aren't a grade freak. They are all over the place in g/vg for $20 give or take. They had some of the best distribution of the times.

The downside is that there were just such a GLUT of them out there that even in low grade you have quite a task if you are a completist like me, and it may take years and $$$ if you want them all. I'm not even close and I've been at 'em off and on for 11 years now. screwy.gif

I'm with you on Atlas... There are just too many books. I'm sure that the stories are fine based on the quality artists that worked for them, but I can't say that I'm a fan of the Atlas cover designs. I prefer one large cover image instead of the tiered approached that Atlas used for most of their books.

There are definitely TOO MANY. I started doing a list and gave up after 600 different issues (including the Pre-Hero).

I don't mind the tier approach as long as the main cover is cool.

603071-Spellbound%20%2311.jpg

589a8d129f264_603071-Spellbound11.jpg.c5a9abfb8c0a09367822f6d4072ae56f.jpg

That's a sharp Spellbound....

Are you attempting to do complete Atlas runs?

I would love to do a whole run of a title in CGC 8.0 or higher. It will take years so I'm pretty content buying a few issues every few months and trying to get small runs together (say 3-4 issues in a row).

I also have been trying to stay away from some of the more boring covers unless priced very reasonably. Basically, the reserves on the Bethlehem books on Heritage have been guide plus grading fees. But what isn't taken into consideration is that some covers are more interesting then other.

Think of it this way, should an issue #9 of a Pre-Code horror book be worth more then #11, if #11 has a great cover and #9 doesn't. The answer is no, but that's not guide will reflect. So I'll be glad to pay a higher percentage of guide for the #11.

I would guess that it's difficult to find 8.0 Atlas books even though they are much more plentiful than other titles from the same time period. Most of the ones that I see are typical pre-code books: 2.0 - 5.0.

I'm not attempting to complete any pre-code horror runs... it's difficult enough finding certain issues of titles that I like let alone having them in sequence!

Thanks for the encouragement, keith!

Ok, so this link is for Pov and others who are avidly searching out pre-code reprints. Came accross this book at a used book shop recently, was really great. Looks like Amazon has a few on sale at a decent price:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0944735770/qid=1096126727/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/102-3916957-8873727?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Don't say I never did nothin' for ya!

Here's another recent pre-code purchase: Horrific #1 (Comic Media) in approximately 3.0 condition. Cover is glossy and flat, a couple of small tears on the cover and a couple of interior tears. Otherwise in nice shape. I find this to be a scarce book. Gerber lists this as a 5 in scarcity I believe, and I can't comment on how many copies are out there, but I can definitely say that this book is seen much less frequently than #4 and up, and some of those are given 6 scarcity by Gerber. #1-3 are really tough. We all know about Horrific #3, but have you ever seen a Horrific #2? I don't believe I've seen one for sale since I've been collecting pre-code books.

606342-IMGP1843.JPG

606342-IMGP1843.JPG.398622765443b97d747a14faab68d9cc.JPG

Edited by paull

Funny you should ask! Here's some interior shots... The text on the third page "Aye my brothers, he will come! But soon I know our waiting is to be ended!" sounds a lot like the Iger Studio Farrell cover voices used by skeletons and zombies.

606348-IMGP1850.JPG

606348-IMGP1850.JPG.6fb2981cefb5ec7522fdee82dd26ef11.JPG

Edited by paull

I agree about the cover image.... I really like it a lot... it's got to be one of my favorite pre-code covers. There are a number of books that have a macabre "dance of death" theme... I can't remember issue numbers off the top of my head, but I know there are a couple Farrell books that used this theme on the cover, one of them with a witch prompting male and female marionettes to dance... "Move my puppets, this is the dance of death, you know!" or something like that.

I normally don't buy books with interior defects, but this one is so seldom seen, and the price was right. I believe I paid $80 for it.

Edited by paull

Ok, so this link is for Pov and others who are avidly searching out pre-code reprints. Came accross this book at a used book shop recently, was really great. Looks like Amazon has a few on sale at a decent price:

That Amazon listing is amusing. These books were stamped out and considered harmful to the kiddies in the fifties, but they list the book like this:

"Reading level: Ages 9-12

Edition: Paperback "

And further down on the page we see this:

"Search for books by subject: Children: Grades 3-4"

This reminds me that the comic book shop on South Street in Philly used to put the EC reprints in the kiddie section with Archies. My, how times have changed!

Sweet book. Just recently used as cover for CBM 112.

From the same vintage 1952, here's what the mailman brought me home today cloud9.gif I love that man! (Please no jokes here)

606483-Witchcraft1s.jpg

Scrooge

606483-Witchcraft1s.jpg.0a4047a32b2d797a0671135c688e3008.jpg

Edited by Scrooge