• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I wanna start chasing Marvel 2nd prints...
5 5

333 posts in this topic

I found a G I Joe #2 Canadian Variant.

Aside from that, second print G I Joes are hard

The 75 cent cover is the second print, not a Canadian variant.

In what way are second print G.I. Joes hard? They are everywhere. There are still tons of the multi-paks out in the wild that were kept in amazing condition.

+1 The #2 Second Print is very easy to find.

Well, I just picked up a few more 2nd prints during 4th of July sales including an X-Men 281. However, I can't find a 2nd printing notice anywhere in the indicia. Are we sure that the issue with the red "X-Men" logo is indeed a 2nd print? LMK

If, during your quest, you find a 2nd print of (Marvel's) GI Joe #21 you get ahold of me for some serious offers!

To my knowledge it is the only GI Joe book I do not own and I have been looking for it for a decade! I'm starting to think this only exists in the land of unicorns!!! 1st and 3rd prints are common; 2nd print apparently non-existent.

(my OCD is going to drive me to the crazy house!!! :insane: )

G.I. Joe #21 second printing does not exist. Only 1st and 3rd.

(In other words, all the third printings would technically be second prints. But since they all say "Third Printing" on the 1st page, that's how they are labeled.)

I totally believe you and have often wondered if that was the case... but out of curiosity how do you know? Is this documented somewhere?

Thanks!!!!!

If, during your quest, you find a 2nd print of (Marvel's) GI Joe #21 you get ahold of me for some serious offers!

To my knowledge it is the only GI Joe book I do not own and I have been looking for it for a decade! I'm starting to think this only exists in the land of unicorns!!! 1st and 3rd prints are common; 2nd print apparently non-existent.

(my OCD is going to drive me to the crazy house!!! :insane: )

G.I. Joe #21 second printing does not exist. Only 1st and 3rd.

(In other words, all the third printings would technically be second prints. But since they all say "Third Printing" on the 1st page, that's how they are labeled.)

I totally believe you and have often wondered if that was the case... but out of curiosity how do you know? Is this documented somewhere?

Thanks!!!!!

He's CGC :gossip:

If he said it, it must be so! :slapfight:

lol

2nd Print (1992) JCPenney Reprint http://stlcomics.com/gallery/jcpenney_stridex/

885227.jpg

1st Print (1990)

62_94768_0_TheUncannyXMen268MadriporKnigh.jpg

I saw one 2 weeks ago and thought nothing of it. Didn't know it's a JC Penney reprint. hm

But does this make it a Marvel second print? What I mean is a book that Marvel actually went back to press on, not a book that some other company did a printing of (i.e. Marvel Legends books or sendaways like this Stridex book). May seem like splitting hairs but it makes a difference to me.

2nd Print (1992) JCPenney Reprint http://stlcomics.com/gallery/jcpenney_stridex/

885227.jpg

1st Print (1990)

I saw one 2 weeks ago and thought nothing of it. Didn't know it's a JC Penney reprint. hm

But does this make it a Marvel second print? What I mean is a book that Marvel actually went back to press on, not a book that some other company did a printing of (i.e. Marvel Legends books or sendaways like this Stridex book). May seem like splitting hairs but it makes a difference to me.

When I saw it 2 weeks ago I opened up the book and indica says "2nd Print"

885227.jpg

1st Print (1990)

Interesting. But if it wasn't obtainable on store shelves that still doesn't seem like a traditional second print to me. Cool book though.

885227.jpg

1st Print (1990)

Interesting. But if it wasn't obtainable on store shelves that still doesn't seem like a traditional second print to me. Cool book though.

These JCPenney books hold a special place in my heart. They got me into reading comics and building a sweet marvel collection that I eventually gave away. I never realized what I had until they were gone :cry:

Another set of reprints that are often overlooked are the spidey hologram set of 2nd prints with gold holograms vs the silver 1st prints.

Another set of reprints that are often overlooked are the spidey hologram set of 2nd prints with gold holograms vs the silver 1st prints.

Yes, and to me those seem especially difficult. I haven't seen many copies of any of them. Did all four get reprinted?

Yes, and to me those seem especially difficult. I haven't seen many copies of any of them. Did all four get reprinted?

To my knowlegde only Spec Spider-man 189 and Web of Spider-Man 90 had 2nd prints.

To my knowlegde only Spec Spider-man 189 and Web of Spider-Man 90 had 2nd prints.

:insane: I assumed they all had been..... no wonder i could never find the amazing or regular spidey! lol

885227.jpg

1st Print (1990)

This book and all the J.C. Penney 2nd prints were produced by marvel. The only real difference is the destination they were made for. These books were made as a set and sold in JC Penney christmas catalogues. I got one once for christmas, they were all marvel books, in a shortbox with marvel character designs all over it and a few bags and boards. Like a collectors set.

And if you really think about it, every comic you buy is like this. You are all buying the comics from diamond distribution and your local store, not Marvel ( minus subscriptions ).

I understand where you are coming from about the Marvel Legends books, I look at them differently as well. But I look at these early 90's reprints ( JC Penney and So much fun reprints ) in the same way I look at the UXM 281/282 and ASM 361/362 2nd prints.

885227.jpg

1st Print (1990)

This book and all the J.C. Penney 2nd prints were produced by marvel. The only real difference is the destination they were made for. These books were made as a set and sold in JC Penney christmas catalogues. I got one once for christmas, they were all marvel books, in a shortbox with marvel character designs all over it and a few bags and boards. Like a collectors set.

And if you really think about it, every comic you buy is like this. You are all buying the comics from diamond distribution and your local store, not Marvel ( minus subscriptions ).

I understand where you are coming from about the Marvel Legends books, I look at them differently as well. But I look at these early 90's reprints ( JC Penney and So much fun reprints ) in the same way I look at the UXM 281/282 and ASM 361/362 2nd prints.

Remember this that was included with that short box

e6099.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man 365 does have a 2nd print :preach:

Got a pic? I've never seen one before.

Not to mention CGC doesn't have a listing for it in the census, and Mile High and My Comic Shop also don't have any listings for it. hm