• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rate "Man of Steel," 1-10 Scale

Man of Steel  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Man of Steel

391 posts in this topic

Now I've had a day to digest what I saw, I will still say its a 9/10 awesome movie.

It was visually stunning although the 3D was not needed, it did nothing to the movie IMO. I will see this again in a 2D screening.

I am sick of 3D, nothing has used it properly since Avatar so please movie studios if your not going to do it right then stop using the damn thing!

Unlike Superman Returns I thought this film was well cast, I liked everyone in the movie in the roles they portrayed. The story was good and I like the spin on the origin story and the progression from young Clark to Superman.

Zimmerman knocks it out of the park with a great score once again.

And the action was immense! Action, action, action... exactly what I wanted. I don't need to see Superman pulling a cat out of the tree, that was 1978. This is 2013... I want to Superman beat the out of Zod and his minions, thats what I got and I was glad.

I don't know why people did not like this movie, its their opinion and they are welcome to it. I personally was touched by the scenes with Costner, as someone who lost their father at the age of 28 these scenes resonated with me quite alot. There was alot of emotion packed into this movie.

Who said there was no humour? There were a few of genuine funny moments, not the like the slapstick of the Avengers.

More of a ramble then a review I guess. Don't listen to others, don't look at Rotten Tomatoes, go see it for yourself and decide for yourself. That's all I ask.

9/10

Not as good as The Dark Knight but better then Iron Man, The Avengers & The Dark Knight Rises.

i didn't want humour, the world is ending

jokes ruined the Avengers for me

I'm not finding the Dark Knight Rises poll in that thread. At least, not yet. But this is interesting.

DARK KNIGHT RISES (22 July 2012 release)

Budget: $250,000,000 (estimated)

Gross:

$1,084,439,099 (Worldwide) (27 April 2013)

$1,081,041,287 (Worldwide) (13 December 2012)

$1,013,114,000 (Worldwide) (9 September 2012)

$1,010,946,000 (Worldwide) (4 September 2012)

$559,579,297 (Worldwide) (3 August 2012)

$552,245,972 (Worldwide) (1 August 2012)

$268,276,424 (Worldwide) (25 July 2012)

So in less than two months Dark Knight Rises was a billion dollar (+) movie. I wonder how long Man of Steel will take, if it hits this mark?

Holy! Speedy and I agreed on a movie.

lol

Not really. Have you ever seen a movie with Rowdy Roddy Piper or Hulk Hogan in it?

How dare you, sir. Go back and watch "They Live" and then apologize to the closest hanging picture of Roddy Piper hanging in your bedroom.

:sumo:

Word the *spoon* up!!!

:whee:

Interesting poll results so far.

MEAN = 7.3

MEDIAN = 8.0

MODE = 8.0

Even though there are some that feel strongly the movie was a bust, it appears to be scoring higher than that so far.

I am surprised at the results myself. I personally didn't like it, but it seems to be, at least on these boards, favorable.

I am just fascinated by the difference in viewing experience noted by the majority. To have it range from "best superhero movie" to "horrible" is definitely a huge gap in opinion.

I'm guessing this is a clear example where a movie has been catered to one audience (those wanting a darker storyline), and traditionalist wanting Superman to represent the highest values and brightest hopes feeling the story fell flat. If it is as dark as has been noted here, I'm not sure if the movie should have been so one-sided with its direction.

NOTE: Two more scores were posted as I wrote this, bringing the count to 111 votes. Yet one was an 8, and the other was a 5. What a difference. Yet the MEAN, MEDIAN and MODE results remain the same.

It appears that a lot of viewers are conflicted on this aspect. Should MOS be considered a "darker" film... or a more "realistic" film (well as realistic as it can be in terms of comic movie entertainment).

Some of the realistic themes that benefited the movie (for me)..

Pa Kent - Cosnter's Pa Kent's necessity to keep Clark's gifts secret. Some boardies have comment that this was a very cold, uncaring stance to take(especially the one about not saving the kids on the bus). In my mind, every thing Pa Kent said and did came from a parent who wakes up every day wondering if his adopted child will be taken from him. That's really not "darker", that's realistic. I can't see any of us not taking this stance with our child...especially in a scope this big.

The End - A lot of boardies losing their minds on the Zod ending. I get it... its not what the character would do. But in terms of realism... you have someone who states he's going to kill your entire family, one by one, starting with your kids, and you are given an opportunity to prevent that with any means at your disposal... then you are going to. Sups did what any human being would do... I think that was the point of that scene. Based on the emotional reaction Sups had right after, I'd say it wasn't an easy choice to make.

Now I've had a day to digest what I saw, I will still say its a 9/10 awesome movie.

It was visually stunning although the 3D was not needed, it did nothing to the movie IMO. I will see this again in a 2D screening.

I am sick of 3D, nothing has used it properly since Avatar so please movie studios if your not going to do it right then stop using the damn thing!

Unlike Superman Returns I thought this film was well cast, I liked everyone in the movie in the roles they portrayed. The story was good and I like the spin on the origin story and the progression from young Clark to Superman.

Zimmerman knocks it out of the park with a great score once again.

And the action was immense! Action, action, action... exactly what I wanted. I don't need to see Superman pulling a cat out of the tree, that was 1978. This is 2013... I want to Superman beat the out of Zod and his minions, thats what I got and I was glad.

I don't know why people did not like this movie, its their opinion and they are welcome to it. I personally was touched by the scenes with Costner, as someone who lost their father at the age of 28 these scenes resonated with me quite alot. There was alot of emotion packed into this movie.

Who said there was no humour? There were a few of genuine funny moments, not the like the slapstick of the Avengers.

More of a ramble then a review I guess. Don't listen to others, don't look at Rotten Tomatoes, go see it for yourself and decide for yourself. That's all I ask.

9/10

Not as good as The Dark Knight but better then Iron Man, The Avengers & The Dark Knight Rises.

Iron Man is far superior to Man of Steel. However if you meant Iron Man 2, or 3 I agree with you.

Why I didn't give the movie a higher rating that 6:

-to much action not enough character building- they went to far in that direction.

-it was like watching a very visually stunning video game- I was taken out of the experience

- a drastic change to Superman's character. Superman would have found a way to win that maintained his character if the writers were interested in preserving that aspect, obviously they were not. The movie isn't called Injustice.

MEAN = 7.3

MEDIAN = 8.0

MODE = 8.0

Even though there are some that feel strongly the movie was a bust, it appears to be scoring higher than that so far.

I am surprised at the results myself. I personally didn't like it, but it seems to be, at least on these boards, favorable.

I am just fascinated by the difference in viewing experience noted by the majority. To have it range from "best superhero movie" to "horrible" is definitely a huge gap in opinion.

I'm guessing this is a clear example where a movie has been catered to one audience (those wanting a darker storyline), and traditionalist wanting Superman to represent the highest values and brightest hopes feeling the story fell flat. If it is as dark as has been noted here, I'm not sure if the movie should have been so one-sided with its direction.

NOTE: Two more scores were posted as I wrote this, bringing the count to 111 votes. Yet one was an 8, and the other was a 5. What a difference. Yet the MEAN, MEDIAN and MODE results remain the same.

It appears that a lot of viewers are conflicted on this aspect. Should MOS be considered a "darker" film... or a more "realistic" film (well as realistic as it can be in terms of comic movie entertainment).

Some of the realistic themes to me that benefited the movie (for me)..

Pa Kent - Cosnter's Pa Kent's necessity to keep Clark's gifts secret. Some boardies have comment that this was a very cold, uncaring stance to take(especially the one about not saving the kids on the bus). In my mind, every thing Pa Kent said and did came from a parent who wakes up every day wondering if his adopted child will be taken from him. That's really not "darker", that's realistic. I can't see any of us not taking this stance with our child...especially in a scope this big.

The End - A lot of boardies losing their minds on the Zod ending. I get it... its not what the character would do. But in terms of realism... you have someone who states he's going to kill your entire family, one by one, starting with your kids, and you are given an opportunity to prevent that with any means at your disposal... then you are going to. Sups did what any human being would do... I think that was the point of that scene. Based on the emotional reaction Sups had right after, I'd say it wasn't an easy choice to make.

But he was supposed to be better than us, a great white space jesus to show us the way. All he did was what we would do :preach:

MEAN = 7.3

MEDIAN = 8.0

MODE = 8.0

Some of the realistic themes to me that benefited the movie (for me)..

:)

But he was supposed to be better than us, a great white space jesus to show us the way. All he did was what we would do :preach:

Being better "than" doesn't help when you have no one left to be better "to" hm

"The Last Temptation of Superman"... the movie MOS could have been hm ... I'd watch that too, Kev :grin:

I like the un-steady camera technique personally. It keeps movies like this from being "too polished". This is doubly-important for Superman who has always been a little too shiny in the public's view.

Also, as a Battlestar Galactica fan, I immediately recognized many of the same camera techniques that made that show so very good. I haven't checked, but I would bet that the same team worked on both projects. (after all, there were at least two cast members from BSG in this movie)

Regarding the CGI, I definitely wouldn't call it cheap, all though there were a few (very few) moments were it's slip showed.

Oh yeah, thousands - tens of thousands died in Metropolis. That was my only real gripe. Superman only seemed to be genuinely concerned about that family in peril when fighting Zod, but had no problem throwing a gas truck into a skyscraper. I felt that, in this day an age, some thought should have been given to the collateral damage - at least some sort of remorse.

Then you would be complaining that he is "too perfect" as other boardies have stated. :makepoint:

Personally... note, I am saying in my opinion, a movie has to have what I call stay-ability. I have to be able to watch a movie more than once and like it.

Batman Begins has it, Iron Man (1) has it, and I believe Man of Steel has it. I watched Avengers and thought it was awesome, then watched it again and will not watch it a third time (this is a one ride roller coaster, second time around it is just boring). I have watched Iron Man easily a dozen times and still love it; Batman Begins probably close to 50 (yes, excessive but would listen to the movie while cooking, I like the score that much) still have love for it. Man of Steel, I am looking forward to seeing it again. I love Superman and find this much better and more realistic than any of the other renditions. Are there flaws? Sure but there are flaws, as there are with all of the super hero movies. By the way, no one here is talking about how horrible ALL the HULK movies have been, or how if I did not see Thor (1) how I would have little understanding of the villain while watching Avengers (which was one of the first things I said when I left the movie theater)... (shrug)

They are all comic book movies... if we are going to start nit picking we need a whole new thread to discuss how each and every single comic book movie has flaws. The most obvious being that you need to engage Suspension of Disbelief. It is all fantasy so stop treating it like it is reality. doh!

My rating first time around is 9/10 as stated in other threads. I do not expect that number to plummet like it did when I watched Avengers the second time around.

MofSpoll_zps36126de6.jpg

MEAN = 7.3

MEDIAN = 8.0

MODE = 8.0

More poll results, and we start to see a shift.

MofS_poll2_zps8845c8dd.jpg

MEAN = 7.4

MEDIAN = 8.0

MODE = 9.0

What's mean, median and mode?

When you are conducting statistical analysis of anything, you want to be careful of averages as outliers (far distant upper and lower numbers) can throw off your results drastically. But you still want the average to judge the range of results.

MEAN = Average of the numbers

MEDIAN = Middle number in a sorted list of numbers

MODE = Value that appears most often in a set of data