• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bigger SA Key: BB 28 or SC 22?

Bigger SA key: BB 28 or SC 22?  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger SA key: BB 28 or SC 22?

132 posts in this topic

One collector/friend tells me that Showcase 22 is a bigger key than BB 28. Another insists that BB 28 is the bigger SA key. Hence, the poll on this question as to which is the bigger SA key?

Brave and the Bold 28?

or

Showcase 22?

Thanks for any input.

John

Pretty simple:

BB 28

I will elaborate if necessary but don't want to skew the voting.

First appearance of a top tier DC character or a book in which 5 DC characters take on a brand new villain?

Pretty simple indeed.

Oakman, I knew this wasn't an easy question to answer.

Right! I mean a 1st app. will always be more important than a group of heroes that have been around for years.No contest in my book.

Oakman, I knew this wasn't an easy question to answer.

Right! I mean a 1st app. will always be more important than a group of heroes that have been around for years.No contest in my book.

But...but....Starro!!!!

First appearance of a top tier DC character.....

Ah...slipped my mind that SC 22 was the first appearance of GL....no wait, All-American 16?

Gosh..I'm so confused :ohnoez:

:slapfight: as the big bang put it... a #2 pencil and we both done for :cry:

Pretty simple:

BB 28

I will elaborate if necessary but don't want to skew the voting.

First appearance of a top tier DC character or a book in which 5 DC characters take on a brand new villain?

Pretty simple indeed.

Nope, his first appearance was in All-American Comics #16...

This one is difficult, I am a HUGE fan of both.

BB28 represents a better investment opportunity at current (i.e. has more room to grow and better opportunity for increased exposure). Like most of you, if you could only buy one right now, I would buy BB28.

SC22 is a very important book that has a bad rap (to the dismay of GL fans everywhere) due to some large variation in historical pricing. This doesn't mean it is less of a Key book, just that it isn't the safest investment.

My vote is in SC22 as the first appearance of a HUGE silver age character (yes, Hal is the 2nd "Green Lantern," but the first of this kind). BB28 is an excellent book with one of my top five covers of all time, but its claim to fame rests on a first "team-up" appearance. For a "team-up" to be successful, you need great established characters to join the team. BB28 owes at least some portion of its success to SC22, SC4, MFC73, TEC225 etc.

Just my 2c

This is confusing I am under the impression some years back everyone would have said showcase 22 because of the price increase. Now the JLA movie was announced everyone is jumping boats. lol

The real answer probably lies in asking which was considered the bigger key prior to the announcement of the GL movie a few years back as clearly movie hype ( and subsequent success or disappointment) can cause temporary distortions in demand.

IMHO, Showcase 22 has the better cover, and I was never a JLA fan, particularly when it came to the early stories. When I was enamored of ( mostly Marvel) Silver Age books back in the early 70s as a kid - I did pick up a Showcase 22 when I had the chance, but had no real interest in B&B 28 - other than as part of a complete DC collection I fantasized I might one day own.

Stepping back from my personal bias, it's probably a close call. The second DC reboot of a GA character vs. reboot of the superteam concept whose original version was a driving force of early comics fandom ( I've read that acquiring an All-Star run was almost a requirement for a "serious" golden age collector in the early 60s).

I still have to go with Showcase 22, just as I would consider JIM 83 and Hulk 1 more important keys than Avengers 1.

This is confusing I am under the impression some years back everyone would have said showcase 22 because of the price increase. Now the JLA movie was announced everyone is jumping boats. lol

The real answer probably lies in asking which was considered the bigger key prior to the announcement of the GL movie a few years back as clearly movie hype ( and subsequent success or disappointment) can cause temporary distortions in demand.

IMHO, Showcase 22 has the better cover, and I was never a JLA fan, particularly when it came to the early stories. When I was enamored of ( mostly Marvel) Silver Age books back in the early 70s as a kid - I did pick up a Showcase 22 when I had the chance, but had no real interest in B&B 28 - other than as part of a complete DC collection I fantasized I might one day own.

Stepping back from my personal bias, it's probably a close call. The second DC reboot of a GA character vs. reboot of the superteam concept whose original version was a driving force of early comics fandom ( I've read that acquiring an All-Star run was almost a requirement for a "serious" golden age collector in the early 60s).

I still have to go with Showcase 22, just as I would consider JIM 83 and Hulk 1 more important keys than Avengers 1.

+1