• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,010 posts in this topic

Here is the acquisition table over the years 2005-2021. Looks like a bumper crop every 4 years, with 2014 being the best year of all. I think there was nice 2010 Heritage pre-hero auction. 2014 was just a good year from multiple sources.

Capture02.JPG.6857ef2979b040cb4feddd160f03788a.JPG

Speculation time:

There are about 120 copies of these issues in 9.0+ in the census. Rosland, RICK STARR, and fantasyland15 have about 10 copies each, leaving 90 unaccounted for. If we assume 2 big fish at 25 copies each (many highest graded copies are not in the registry), that leaves 40. I would guess half of these are scattered in various collections, leaving 1-2 more collectors. 

Speculative conclusion: there are 6-7 collectors seriously chasing this set at the 9.0+ level.

On 11/13/2021 at 3:55 PM, Rosland said:

Here is the acquisition table over the years 2005-2021. Looks like a bumper crop every 4 years, with 2014 being the best year of all. I think there was nice 2010 Heritage pre-hero auction. 2014 was just a good year from multiple sources.

Capture02.JPG.6857ef2979b040cb4feddd160f03788a.JPG

I've seen the same 4 year trend - started seriously looking for VFs in late 2008.

Although something has to be factored in when you get down to a few issues of books that just don't turn up in grade very often. Which makes your set very cool!

-bc

On 11/13/2021 at 4:29 PM, Rosland said:

Speculation time:

There are about 120 copies of these issues in 9.0+ in the census. Rosland, RICK STARR, and fantasyland15 have about 10 copies each, leaving 90 unaccounted for. If we assume 2 big fish at 25 copies each (many highest graded copies are not in the registry), that leaves 40. I would guess half of these are scattered in various collections, leaving 1-2 more collectors. 

Speculative conclusion: there are 6-7 collectors seriously chasing this set at the 9.0+ level.

There may be a few more since this title spans from PCH to superhero (with a brief PHM theme). But you're likely in the ballpark.

-bc

On 11/13/2021 at 3:29 PM, Rosland said:

Speculation time:

I have 7, maybe 8 in 9.0+ including probably a few highest graded copies and then 16-18 more PCH/PH ST slabs in 8.5.  There may be a few copies over the years that were cracked out and resubmitted without notifying CGC, or maybe nobody tried that with a 9.0+ PH ST book; that's hard to say.  I'm crossover grading my last book to complete my 1-100 CGC graded run and it's been at CGC for about 7 months now...  Depends on what you mean by chase.  I wouldn't say I'm seriously chasing the set at 9.0 at all though.  I'm chasing the set in 5.0 PCH and 7.0+ for PH, and upgrading from there on occasion if something crosses my path.  I'm down to one PCH upgrade left to finish that chase, and I'm happy enough with what I've put together up to this point even if I don't make that last upgrade.  I think there may be several early collectors who picked up slabs in 2000-2010 who have retired from collecting before the registry came online that have some old old label slabs stashed somewhere.  CGC has been here a long time now, there could even be some slabs whose owner's have passed on and the books are just boxed up somewhere.