• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,941 posts in this topic

headbang.gif I realy love this one ST #80 Great cover cloud9.gif

599345-st%2080.jpg

This one and the one posted earlier with the army of Kirby monster dropping out of the sky are among my favorites ever! Great cover! Someone I think posed a HG slabbed copy of this once, and it was awesome.

I think you are referring to my copy, which I humbly resubmit for your approval. I would sooner part with my right nut then sell this baby. wink.gif

1097429264282_ST80.JPG

JiveMo.......that is one of the few books I have seen on these boards over the last year that actually raised my pulse! I love seeing it every time you post it. GARGANTUS ROCKS!

NEVER.....EVER.....LET IT GO!

Okay....I'm calming down. It is just a gorgeous cover, with the partly submerged monster handled beautifully.

Huzzah! acclaim.gif

I don't remember if you've posted the info before, but how did you acquire it....and give us a ball park figure for what it cost you (if you don't mind). A keeper!

Red

PS....I think this one might be a case of Ditko inking Kirby's cover pencils.

I would sooner part with my right nut then sell this baby. wink.gif

Holy CRAPOLA! Either you've got some real problems, or your priorities are WAAAAYYY out of whack... 893whatthe.gif

But FF....he'd still have one LEFT??!!!!!! confused-smiley-013.gif

I would sooner part with my right nut then sell this baby. wink.gif

Holy CRAPOLA! Either you've got some real problems, or your priorities are WAAAAYYY out of whack... 893whatthe.gif

James, I am a high grade junkie who pays hundreds and occasionally thousands of dollars for freakin' comic books.... of course my priorities are WAY out of whack! cool.gif

I don't remember if you've posted the info before, but how did you acquire it....and give us a ball park figure for what it cost you (if you don't mind). A keeper!

I BINed it off of eBay last year for a mere $400..pretty immediate decision too as soon as I saw it.

The really cool thing was that the seller is an old comic acquaintance of mine, and former Overstreet contributor that I hadn't had contact with in nearly a decade. In good form, he remembered me immediately, including the first book he ever sold me (one I REALLY wish I had back). I think he at least got some satisfaction in knowing his ST 80 was heading to a good home.

James, I am a high grade junkie who pays hundreds and occasionally thousands of dollars for freakin' comic books.... of course my priorities are WAY out of whack! cool.gif

Hehe, oh yeah! Thanks for putting it into perspective...that's most people around here, isn't it! crazy.gifblush.gif

I BINed it off of eBay last year for a mere $400..pretty immediate decision too as soon as I saw it.

The really cool thing was that the seller is an old comic acquaintance of mine, and former Overstreet contributor that I hadn't had contact with in nearly a decade. In good form, he remembered me immediately, including the first book he ever sold me (one I REALLY wish I had back). I think he at least got some satisfaction in knowing his ST 80 was heading to a good home.

A great buy! I was suprised to find that there is actually a 9.2 in the census, and one other 9.0. Can't see either of them looking much nicer than your copy.

And who can forget, VANDOOM!!! (No relation to Victor VON DOOM....)

You gotta love all these stories that featured monsters being "created" by a mad scientist in a castle. And no self-respecting monster-terrorized village is complete without a guy with a pitchfork and a guy with a torch!!

Who knew Mary Shelley would be such a muse for cheesy comic books???

Oh, and of course, you have to notice the sexism present here: all the MEN are running to attack the monster, while all the WOMEN are running in fear!

tta17.jpg

Despite some mc.....it looks a lot better than a 5.0! That must be one of John Buscema's earliest pieces for Marvel/Atlas. Man, could that guy draw! acclaim.gif

It IS nicer than a 5.0. I had hoped for a 6.0. But so it goes.... I've got other books that are nice except for some chipping and I'm not too keen on sending them in. This book has some minor wear but I really thought it was in the 6 range. But boo hoo, I can whine all I want. It is what it is.

Yes, Buscema did some killer work. It's fun to pick up early work by some of these artists and compare it with their later work to see how they changed, as well at what remained the same.

Despite some mc.....it looks a lot better than a 5.0! That must be one of John Buscema's earliest pieces for Marvel/Atlas. Man, could that guy draw!

Post Extras:

But what's the color loss in the guy's hand at the bottom?

Still a very nice book. thumbsup2.gif