• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,010 posts in this topic

On 11/17/2022 at 2:38 PM, bc said:

Was watching the Heritage auction today. Battle of the #1's - an 8.0 TOS1 vs an 8.0 TTA 1

TOS 1 CGC 8.0 (CR/OW) went for $6,600

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/science-fiction/tales-of-suspense-1-marvel-1959-cgc-vf-80-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7283-92046.s

Silver Age (1956-1969):Science Fiction, Tales of Suspense #1 (Marvel, 1959) CGC VF 8.0 Cream to off-white pages....

TTA 1 CGC 8.0 (White) went for $14,400

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/horror/tales-to-astonish-1-marvel-1959-cgc-vf-80-white-pages/a/7283-92048.s

Silver Age (1956-1969):Horror, Tales to Astonish #1 (Marvel, 1959) CGC VF 8.0 White pages....

Also a nice AA 1 CGC 9.0 (OW/W) White Mountain copy went for $6,300 (think this one has been sold before, thought I put bids on it in a past auction)

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/horror/amazing-adventures-1-white-mountain-pedigree-marvel-1961-cgc-vf-nm-90-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7283-92001.s

Silver Age (1956-1969):Horror, Amazing Adventures #1 White Mountain Pedigree (Marvel, 1961) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Off-white to white pages....

-bc

Thanks for posting those. That AA #1 would be a grail for me, love that title and to have the #1 from that pedigree would be a centerpiece of any PHM collection. :cloud9:

On 11/18/2022 at 12:21 PM, CWill2021 said:

I love the prototypes of superheroes that existed. Ie: Daredevil Golden Age.. prior to Marvel Daredevil

There's quite a few of them - love The Hulk by Stan Lee / Ditko prior to the Incredible Hulk

A recent re-arrival Tales to Astonish #16, that I purchased raw back in February of 2021. Sent it in to be pressed and graded. I bought the book on Comics Connect where it was graded at 5.5, however there was no mention of the fact that the top cover was trimmed.

Tales_to_astonish_16.JPG

On 12/1/2022 at 9:13 AM, frozentundraguy said:

A recent re-arrival Tales to Astonish #16, that I purchased raw back in February of 2021. Sent it in to be pressed and graded. I bought the book on Comics Connect where it was graded at 5.5, however there was no mention of the fact that the top cover was trimmed.

Tales_to_astonish_16.JPG

I bought a pre-hero Marvel on Comic Connect a long time ago that had a big wad of bubble gum stuck in the middle of it.  I haven’t bought any from them since

On 12/1/2022 at 11:54 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

A reputable dealer will usually accept a refund on a book that comes back with restoration, if you want to go that route.

I picked it up for a reasonable cost, so I guess it's more of a minor irritant than anything. Does anyone know what kind of percentage hit a purple label book takes when it's time to sell?

On 12/1/2022 at 1:16 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I picked it up for a reasonable cost, so I guess it's more of a minor irritant than anything. Does anyone know what kind of percentage hit a purple label book takes when it's time to sell?

I'm not an expert on this but my guess (?) is that restoration severely "flattens the curve" on price by grade.  So the higher the grade, the wider the gap (absolute or percentage) between a blue label and a purple label.  At a 5.5, the difference may be pretty modest.  Below 2.0, I suspect it may start to become negligible.

On 12/1/2022 at 12:16 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I think it also depends on the book and the type of restoration. I was bidding on a restored JIM 1 (2.5) a couple of months ago that went for $5,500. This was way over guide. It seemed to have minimal restoration so I suspect it might get unrestored (Ct scrape) and resubmitted.

On 12/1/2022 at 6:03 PM, Mucheee1 said:

I think it also depends on the book and the type of restoration. I was bidding on a restored JIM 1 (2.5) a couple of months ago that went for $5,500. This was way over guide. It seemed to have minimal restoration so I suspect it might get unrestored (Ct scrape) and resubmitted.

You make a very good point -- if buyers / bidders believe that the restoration can be undone and the book can be resubmitted for a blue label, that's a factor for sure.

I wasn't even thinking about that because the book above has a trimmed edge.

On 12/1/2022 at 5:44 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Ii might just contact Comic Connect and see what they would do. 

This is probably your best approach, because until you do have direct contact on the matter, it's only speculation as to how they'll handle it. Nice looking book though! I hope it's resolved to your satisfaction, whatever that may be. 

I just checked their help section to see what the qualifiers might be for returns. It does not look good.

1) "If the rare occasion arises where you feel you must return an item, you must contact us for return instructions within ten (10) days (by phone or email) of receipt of your item."

The nail in the coffin

2) "Please note that we cannot accept returns on any books, including those with previously undetected restoration, after the specified return period listed here."

I took a rule, using the millimeters side and measured that book and another Atlas book from about the same date. I could not detect any difference in length between the two books. Of course that may be due to the fact the books are slabbed and it's hard to obtain an exact measurement. That must be one micro trim. hm

On 12/1/2022 at 8:30 PM, frozentundraguy said:

I just checked their help section to see what the qualifiers might be for returns. It does not look good.

1) "If the rare occasion arises where you feel you must return an item, you must contact us for return instructions within ten (10) days (by phone or email) of receipt of your item."

The nail in the coffin

2) "Please note that we cannot accept returns on any books, including those with previously undetected restoration, after the specified return period listed here."

I would still reach out.  Best bet is to give them a call and ask to speak with someone who can help.

On 12/1/2022 at 7:30 PM, frozentundraguy said:

The nail in the coffin

I personally wouldn't reach out. I'd learn from the experience and move on. I believe contacting them about it will only lead to further frustration for you and the end result is that they'll point to their disclaimer. It's been almost 2 years since you bought the comic, you paid someone to perform an appearance altering procedure to the comic and have it certified, so you've put further money into the comic. What would/could you possibly expect them to do for you to make you feel ... whole? It would benefit you to ask yourself that question BEFORE contacting them, if you do, so if by chance they ask what you want them to do about it, you'd have some idea what would satisfy you. Understand, my main reason for saying I'd "move on" is to minimize frustration, not to let someone "get away with something."