• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,010 posts in this topic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Strange Tales #81 CGC 8.0 with White Pages. Anyone want it for $225 (that's $100 less than the 8.5 sold for)?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When did this become the marketplace thread???

NOW!!!!!!!!!! hail.gif

As if half my threads have been hijacked for days. Sheesshhh.

Great!

Rhino, can you give us a quick synopsis of the cover story? The guy with the little head always intrigued me......

WHO IS HIM?

D'oh, I'm out of town on bizness at the moment but when I get back I'll write up a full synopsis. I'm sure it'll be amazingly original and not at all like any of the OTHER pre-hero stories.... yay.gif

Great!

Rhino, can you give us a quick synopsis of the cover story? The guy with the little head always intrigued me......

WHO IS HIM?

OK, Pre-Hero Fans, here's the Synopsis:

***SPOILER WARNING*****SPOILER WARNING**** 27_laughing.gif

Victor Avery is a rich, handsome, successful scientist, who always gets what he wants. He invents a serum that will allow plants to live forever (how he knows this, we'll never know....) but transforms them into hideous, monstrous versions of themselves. Of course, he moves on to test it on animals and so he gives the serum to his unsuspecting housecat (where's the SPCA when you need 'em) which again, gives it eternal life (sez him), but turns it into a hideous cat creature. Well, being the quintessential scientist, Victor knows the only thing to do now is to find a human to test it on! But as he laments, "Now the final test would be to give it to a human. But how? Nobody would allow themselves to be turned into a monster, not even to live forever!"

Ah, but Victor wil soon prove himself wrong. He is smitten by a local debutante who then rebuffs him to marry "a penniless engineer!" However, Hell hath no fury like a rich, handsome, successful scientist scorned and so Victor decides to use the serum on himself (gasp!) in order to carry out his revenge on the woman who rejected him! After all, he reasons, after he has his revenge, he'll have eternity to work on a serum that will reverse the process (hmm, you'd think maybe he'd want to have that done first....).

So Victor consumes his serum, which turns him into a hulking monster (hmm, perhaps this is closer to a Hulk Prototype story than its given credit for!!) who searches across the country for this penniless engineer (at first Victor said he was going to take revenge on his girlie because "if I can't have her, no one will!" but later decides that "if not for the other man, she woudl have been mine! So I will remove the other man!"). Apparently the serum also turns you into a murderous stalker!

Victor searches the country for Engineer Bill and his new wife (no Google back then), and soon the world hears of this hideous, unstoppable monster that travels only at night, thus dubbed "The Midnight Monster". As word travels, people try to stop him. His super strength allows him to uproot trees, withstand bullets and even shrug off bazookas from the local army! He even destroys their tanks with his bare hands! Wow, that's some serum!!!!

So the army issues a challenge to him, saying they have a ray gun that can defeat him and dare him to pit his power against theirs in a showdown in the outskirts of Los Alamos!

But our monsterous protagonist shows up and when he stands in front of the vaunted ray gun, the ground beneath him gives way and he falls into "the world's deepest hole".

As our story closes out, the army battalion comments that "If he really is immortal, he'll be Alive when he hits bottom." "But he'll be so far down, it'll take AGES for him to crawl to the surface again". They give their thanks to a man, saying "not many men could engineer the world's deepest hole in so short a time! You're a fine techinician, son." And of course, this brilliant hole-engineer turns out to be none other than Bill! We close to see our former protagonists gal standing with Bill the engineer looking into the hole, saying "You know Bill, I wonder about the monster, I mean, I wonder who he really was?" But of course, wise Bill says "no on knows, honey! And I guess now...nobody will EVER know!"

THE END!

Interestingly, this is considered a "Mr. Hyde Prototype" and it does mimic the Mr. Hyde concept, but the creature also has a lot in common with the Hulk. In any case, fun stuff!

cloud9.gif