• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Infinite Pulp Magazine thread

72 posts in this topic

Buck Rogers makes his first apperance in the August 1928 issue, vol. 3 # 5. The cover is not Buck Rogers but is a scene from the Skylark of space by E.E. Smith (his first published work). First Buck Rogers cover apperance is March 1929, vol.3 # 12. thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

buckpulp.jpg

Glad I stumbled onto this thread. I was originally looking for info on the BA mags like Creepy, Shock, Eerie because I was wondering whether any of the BIN prices by this seller

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZast1155tdQQhtZ-1

were justified. As with pulps, I have no idea how plentiful or even in demand these books are, and which are rarer and more highly sought. I know that certain 70's mags are warehouse books and guys like Koch have an almost infinite supply, so anything other than $2-3 is a foolish buy. So with the auctions above I have no idea if the BINs are a reach, or actually a decent deal. My gut tells me that it would be easier and a lot cheaper getting these books raw.

With pulps, I ahve no idea of the market and simply buy if I like the cover and it's not too ratty, often paying $5-15 a book. Probably have bought mostly Planet Stories. The coolest seem to be Terror Tales but they usually go for big $. One thing I try to pay atttention to is brittleness, as a few books I've won don't tolerate any handling and crumble easily. Is there a good price guide for pulps that is fairly reliable (unlike OS where prices can be 50X FMV)? What is the typical dealer buy-sell spread? Can someone post a rank order of most sought after titles, or one list of tough books and another of easy (plentiful) books)?

"With pulps, I ahve no idea of the market and simply buy if I like the cover and it's not too ratty, often paying $5-15 a book. "

that's pretty much how I approach it too. i also look out for authors i've heard of like arthur c. clark, asimov, bradbury, sturgeon, etc. also, the older the better.

Glad I stumbled onto this thread. I was originally looking for info on the BA mags like Creepy, Shock, Eerie because I was wondering whether any of the BIN prices by this seller

were justified. As with pulps, I have no idea how plentiful or even in demand these books are, and which are rarer and more highly sought. I know that certain 70's mags are warehouse books and guys like Koch have an almost infinite supply, so anything other than $2-3 is a foolish buy. So with the auctions above I have no idea if the BINs are a reach, or actually a decent deal. My gut tells me that it would be easier and a lot cheaper getting these books raw.

With pulps, I ahve no idea of the market and simply buy if I like the cover and it's not too ratty, often paying $5-15 a book. Probably have bought mostly Planet Stories. The coolest seem to be Terror Tales but they usually go for big $. One thing I try to pay atttention to is brittleness, as a few books I've won don't tolerate any handling and crumble easily. Is there a good price guide for pulps that is fairly reliable (unlike OS where prices can be 50X FMV)? What is the typical dealer buy-sell spread? Can someone post a rank order of most sought after titles, or one list of tough books and another of easy (plentiful) books)?

Hey WhomerJay, I havn't been around this board as of late because of sheer busi-ness, but contributed to a lot of the early content on this board. I really do encourage you to look at past threads for there is a lot of great market information in here. I think that for sheer investment and the books most likely to increase the most in the near future you would rank books in the following order. This is mainly accounting for the Higher prices already realized on many Warren books and their usually "more abundant supplies".

1. Eerie Publications between 1966-1969 (These have not been found in any wherehouse finds yet, and probably won't be. They all offered the over the Top gory covers, that put many GA covers to shame. Very crude but fun to collect. Extremely difficult to find, yet alone find in VF or better. These were printed with extremely cheap stock and were abused books. Never collected like Warrens)

2. Skywald Books All of the 1970-1971 and then the 1974-1975 copies are the hottest and more difficult to find. Psycho and Nightmare #1 & #2 are very coveted issues. In addition to Nightmare #20 containing the first John Byrne art published. Crime Machine #1 is impossible to find nicer than VF.

3. Stanley Publishing books (Shock, Chilling Tales of Horror, Stark Terror, Ghoul Tales) in the 1969 year. All tough books to get in VF or better. These Stanley books were printed on cheaper paper than Eerie Pubs. Literally could swap them for toilet paper. Sparse distribution as well. Ghoul Tales #1 and Stark Terror #1 and #2 are nearly non-existent.

4. Eerie & Modern Day Publications from 1976-1982. This was a notoriously low print run era for these books. Very scarce and not distributed very well. Would skip months at a time before publication. Often only distributed in big cities, near the east coast. Titles contain Weird Vampire Tales, Terrors of Dracula and Weird.

5. Eerie Publications (Terror Tales, Tales of Voodoo, Tales from the Tomb, Witches Tales, Weird) 1970 runs. To my knowledge these as well have not been in any wherehouse finds. Same story, printed on cheaper paper awesome painted covers.

The remaining are all of the normally coveted issues in HG's Vampi #'s 1-12 and then late issues #101-113, Creepy #1,2,9,13,27,32,40-42 and popular artist issues. Marvel Mag #1's, Blade Appearances in Vampire Tales, Late issues in the series's had lower print runs. Haunt of Horror #2 and #5 seem to be scarce. Savage Tales #1 always a lovely issue. I could go on.

Just start to follow the books on ebay, and look through your OSPG. Get an idea of prices, and then determine what your buy points are going forward. Good luck, and let us know what you acquire! thumbsup2.gif

-bounty

Hey WhomerJay, I havn't been around this board as of late because of sheer busi-ness, but contributed to a lot of the early content on this board. I really do encourage you to look at past threads for there is a lot of great market information in here. I think that for sheer investment and the books most likely to increase the most in the near future you would rank books in the following order. This is mainly accounting for the Higher prices already realized on many Warren books and their usually "more abundant supplies".

1. Eerie Publications between 1966-1969 (These have not been found in any wherehouse finds yet, and probably won't be. They all offered the over the Top gory covers, that put many GA covers to shame. Very crude but fun to collect. Extremely difficult to find, yet alone find in VF or better. These were printed with extremely cheap stock and were abused books. Never collected like Warrens)

2. Skywald Books All of the 1970-1971 and then the 1974-1975 copies are the hottest and more difficult to find. Psycho and Nightmare #1 & #2 are very coveted issues. In addition to Nightmare #20 containing the first John Byrne art published. Crime Machine #1 is impossible to find nicer than VF.

3. Stanley Publishing books (Shock, Chilling Tales of Horror, Stark Terror, Ghoul Tales) in the 1969 year. All tough books to get in VF or better. These Stanley books were printed on cheaper paper than Eerie Pubs. Literally could swap them for toilet paper. Sparse distribution as well. Ghoul Tales #1 and Stark Terror #1 and #2 are nearly non-existent.

4. Eerie & Modern Day Publications from 1976-1982. This was a notoriously low print run era for these books. Very scarce and not distributed very well. Would skip months at a time before publication. Often only distributed in big cities, near the east coast. Titles contain Weird Vampire Tales, Terrors of Dracula and Weird.

5. Eerie Publications (Terror Tales, Tales of Voodoo, Tales from the Tomb, Witches Tales, Weird) 1970 runs. To my knowledge these as well have not been in any wherehouse finds. Same story, printed on cheaper paper awesome painted covers.

The remaining are all of the normally coveted issues in HG's Vampi #'s 1-12 and then late issues #101-113, Creepy #1,2,9,13,27,32,40-42 and popular artist issues. Marvel Mag #1's, Blade Appearances in Vampire Tales, Late issues in the series's had lower print runs. Haunt of Horror #2 and #5 seem to be scarce. Savage Tales #1 always a lovely issue. I could go on.

Just start to follow the books on ebay, and look through your OSPG. Get an idea of prices, and then determine what your buy points are going forward. Good luck, and let us know what you acquire! thumbsup2.gif

-bounty

Great info. NOW I can dive in. thumbsup2.gif

I should probably add an addendum to that. Most Early issues of series's and key artist covers in Strict NM 9.2 or better regardless of title will be good as collectibles.

It really comes own to why you are collecting. The titles I listed before are ones which I feel are poised for solid growth, because many are lesser known, havn't had a large following, people just finding out about them, and were never collected, so the supply of HG copies is scarce.

Gory covers goes to Eerie Publications. Warren had their share of awesome covers, but they really came through with thier stories. Marvel skimped on the stories a bit, but had great covers (I really love Norem's work). Stanley had fairly horrible covers, but reprinted great Pre-code Horror stories. As said Stanley's are probably the least desirable, but as said these were never collected and were printed on toilet paper (not really, but just about). So at a collectible stance, there are far less HG Stanley books in existence, making HG copies a candiate for higher values in the future (especially 1969-1970 copies).

-bounty

Happy to get in on this fun:

Marvel Science Stories v1 #5, 08/39

mss_0839.jpg

Amazing Stories v5#7, 10/30 (a real beater, but cheap with great interior illos.)

amazingstories_1030.jpg

Amazing Stories v5#9, 12/30

amazingstories_1230.jpg

Amazing Stories v6#5, 08/31

amazingstories_0831.jpg

and finally the "Gem" of my SF Pulps-

Wonder Stories v5#2, 08/33 Paul cover and loaded with full-page Paul interior illos.

wonderstories_0833.jpg

Might post more later.

Here's a recent purchase of original pulp art. Piece is by Fred Humiston Jr and is from a 1940's Weird Tales pulp(not sure "witch" issue!). A little bit of flash glare lightens up this moody piece...

witch.jpg

I purchased this painting 5 years ago on 3rd. Ave and 29th.Steet in NYC. I paid $ 35.00. It looks to be from the 40's and looks alot like Pulp Art... maybe for a mag or a paper back. Incidently, this old antique/junk shop I bought it from was only a few blocks from where the original Smith and Street publishers were located in the 30;s and 40's.

Anyway... can and one suggest who I may contact or how to go about identifying this piece?

Any thought?

pulp_1.jpg