• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RHODE ISLAND COMIC CON - Nov. 2 & 3, 2013 (Providence)

47 posts in this topic

So no CGC witness wants money from customers eager to get items signed? Really!?!

Seriously? This one is a no-brainer skip. Why would a CGC witness waste his time on this? It's not a comic show, it's a gathering of B-listers/semi-celebrities, and it seems very few of them have a connection to comics.

So no CGC witness wants money from customers eager to get items signed? Really!?!

Seriously? This one is a no-brainer skip. Why would a CGC witness waste his time on this? It's not a comic show, it's a gathering of B-listers/semi-celebrities, and it seems very few of them have a connection to comics.

I was going to buy some comic books. Are you saying its going to be a waste of time? Is this you speaking from experience on about this show? I dont care about sigs and celebs.

I will say from being there last year, there was not a lot in the way of books. I think it was less than 15 dealers with books. In truth it may have been less than 10. It was geared more towards the celebrities they had signing at the show. Just an FYI for you.

I just came back and there seemed to be a good number of dealers. There were just sooooo many other booths as well, selling anything you can think of, that the comics were somewhat obscured. But there were some very sweet GA books I looked at, including a really nice Brenda Starr #14 (#2) with the classic bondage cover, not to mention a cool copy of Superman #5.

I was mostly diving the bargain bins, though, and there were a lot of them - not just dollar boxes, but multiple vendors with 25 cent, 3 for a buck and even 6 for a buck boxes. I found a Starslayer #2, first appearance of The Rocketeer, in a 6 for a buck box. Not bad for 17 cents.

There were maybe 12 aisles or so and probably 3-4 of them were b-list celebrities, but the other 8 or 9 were comics, artists, games and (mostly) merchandise. Plus I got to meet Allen Bellman, who was awesome and who talked to me about the infamous Bob Wood murder, and got some cool stuff signed by Rich Buckler, Bob Layton and Mark Texeira, who did small head sketches on the books for the grand price of $1.

I thought it was a good show.

Tex head sketches, which he was doing for the princely sum of $1 each:

SAM_0861.jpg

Plus I got to meet the great Allen Bellman, who told me about working for Bob Wood and Wood's infamous drunken murder of a woman in a hotel room tryst. I've heard the story before, of course, but it was cool to hear it from someone who knew Wood. He told me that Wood was a great guy, very kind and softspoken, but he was a raging alcoholic. Every Monday he'd come in to work with ablack eye from some drunken brawl, but at work he was apparently a great guy to work for. But unfortunately, as Bellman put it, "he killed a woman. They were up in a hotel room screwing." Yup.

Also, it was pretty funny, when I pulled out these comics for him to sign, he was like "...did I draw these?!" And I said, "Well, your website says you did, but I honestly have no idea." He looked through them for while, finally shrugged and said, "I'm just going to sign them."

So neither of us have any idea if he actually drew them or not, he couldn't remember. But his website says he did, and the internet is never wrong!

SAM_0865.jpg

You may feel that way but I, along with a few other boardies, were interested in getting a number of items CGCed there. There were comic people and celebrities who are somewhat forgotten but there are people that appreciate them. NYCBM had a similar mix of people last year and CGC showed up. Go figure.