Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official movie review of The Wolverine. Good? Bad?

201 posts in this topic

What keeps it a perfect 5 is the Jean Gray scenes were very confusing for me (is she dead?,why is she in Wolverine's dreams?,why is she even in the movie?

These are questions that I can't explain (shrug) )

It was rather straightforward--she's in his dreams because he loved her. Within the context of the film's plot offering him the option of losing his healing powers, she represents a reason for him to die, so he can be with her in the afterlife.

I don't think she was JUST in his dreams.

What made you think that? They kept showing him waking up after the sequences where he and Jean were together. Once he even woke up next to Mariko and she asked him "who's Jean"?

Just because no one stays dead in the MU, least of all Jean and it if anyone could communicate beyond the grave, it would be her.

Cute, not beautiful. Not enough eye candy to make me care about the story.

DG

Tao Okamoto is not beautiful??? :o:o:o

She's not ugly. She looks almost anorexic.

DG

To each his own. I realize that her body type is not everyone's ideal (not mine either, to be honest) but I think her face is as close to perfection as it gets.

And I truly believe that she's miles away from "she's not ugly". That's something I would save for someone like Amy Poelher. Or Sarah Palin, perhaps :P

Cute, not beautiful. Not enough eye candy to make me care about the story.

DG

Tao Okamoto is not beautiful??? :o:o:o

She's not ugly. She looks almost anorexic.

DG

To each his own. I realize that her body type is not everyone's ideal (not mine either, to be honest) but I think her face is as close to perfection as it gets.

And I truly believe that she's miles away from "she's not ugly". That's something I would save for someone like Amy Poelher. Or Sarah Palin, perhaps :P

I think her face is prettier than the other girl, but I think the other girl was sexier. You can have pretty, but not sexy. You can have sexy, but not pretty. As someone else said, I think she needs to eat a few cheeseburgers.

DG

Just got back from seeing it about two hours ago.

Six of us went together.

My wife liked it.

My 36 year old son didn't.

My 10 year old granddaughter kind of like it.

My 8 year old grandson liked it.

My 14 year old grandson said it was okay.

I thought it was boring and a borderline chick flick.

I grew tired of dead Jean very quickly. The main plots and sub plots were female driven.

When I go to see a superhero click. I want to see good guys fighting bad guys. I don't want to see all of the melodrama and romance between men and women. That dead Jean stuff just made me want to take a nap.

Wolverine is one hard nosed character in the books. But in the movies, he is a pansy, mentally and emotionally.

Give me back my Wolverine, that slices and dices, and then uses his claw as a toothpick to get some flesh from between his teeth. Not this tormented emotional wreck character.

And yes, I know that the movie makers have to appeal to a broader audience of adolescent teenagers and the "no experience with superheroes" crowd , and not just to fan boys.

But for goodness sake. Dance with the girl you brought to the party.

Not one person has mentioned how useless the bear portion was. That whole segment could have been left out entirely. It added almost nothing to the plot.

DG

Disagree. It served several purposes well.

1) For both old and new audiences it showed one path of a character's journey; In particular, it highlighted that this character had shunned contact with human civilization and was able to live in harmony with nature.

2) The reaction to an injustice that disrupted that harmony, showed what kind of character Logan was and more importantly incited him to action and brought him back to civilization.. which

3) Put him in touch with Yukio and called him to further action.

Regarding Jean.. I honestly didnt even know it was her up until my niece told me that she thinks that is Jean Grey from the Xmen movie DUH! I seriously thought it was a woman he was in love with that will be revealed as the movie progressed.

I think I'd spot someone as hot, strong, and sensual as Famke Janssen from a freaking airplane. :luhv:

Bond-Girls---Famke-Janssen-jpg.jpg

famke-janssen-xenia-onatopp1.jpg

No Kidding Xenia Onatopp :cloud9: every time I see her I think how hot she was in that movie

Regarding Jean.. I honestly didnt even know it was her up until my niece told me that she thinks that is Jean Grey from the Xmen movie DUH! I seriously thought it was a woman he was in love with that will be revealed as the movie progressed.

I think I'd spot someone as hot, strong, and sensual as Famke Janssen from a freaking airplane. :luhv:

Bond-Girls---Famke-Janssen-jpg.jpg

famke-janssen-xenia-onatopp1.jpg

No Kidding Xenia Onatopp :cloud9: every time I see her I think how hot she was in that movie

Seeing her role in NipTuck will always trigger a a disturbing association with her. :sick:

On the other hand, she played the character well.

That was forshadowing Marvel Style If you recall the end with the arrows. Wolverine was the bear

That is the worst case of foreshadowing I've ever seen if that is what they intended. One poison arrow that kills a bear foreshadows 100 non-poison arrows that don't kill him?

It's not like Terminator where he runs over a toy truck at the beginning and a truck runs over him at the end. There's no symmetry or relevance between the two.

Is Wolverine to symbolize an innocent animal who did nothing to provoke the attack? He wasn't. Is this to symbolize he went crazy because of Viper and the fighting would never have started? That's a stretch of logic.

As far as the movie setting up that he's been living out in the woods and detached from society... who really cares? They could've conveyed that in other ways where something relevant to the plot was happening. The bath segment alone conveyed that he had no interest in meshing with society.

I don't go to a superhero movie to watch him pick a fight with a human over hunting a CGI bear. I thought that scene was a complete waste of time that did nothing but delay the real plot from starting. It would have made much more sense to start the plot in Japan and focus on their search for him there.

They never once explained why genetics would have the specific result they claimed. Perhaps there was a compromise? A completely logical discussion never even took place. I felt like the whole movie was just force feeding everyone Japanese culture which doesn't really interest me. At no point do they explain why he's so unknowledgeable about Japanese culture even though he's been there before.

DG

Believe what you want but the Bear was killed with a poison tipped arrow and it caused the bear to go insane and attack. Some of the arrows in the end were dipped in the Vipers poison which was added to a bucket of water. Wolverine went wild in the end. seems like an air tight case of foreshadowing to me (shrug)

Believe what you want but the Bear was killed with a poison tipped arrow and it caused the bear to go insane and attack. Some of the arrows in the end were dipped in the Vipers poison which was added to a bucket of water. Wolverine went wild in the end. seems like an air tight case of foreshadowing to me (shrug)

I'm not disagreeing now that you bring it up. I just think that concept is just horribly portrayed. It lowers my regard for the movie to think that was the intent. I was giving it a 7. I think your insight makes me lower that to a 6.

DG

Not one person has mentioned how useless the bear portion was. That whole segment could have been left out entirely. It added almost nothing to the plot.

DG

Go read the Mini Series.

I hated the mini-series. I bought 6 copies of each when they came out and I'm glad it was forgettable.

DG

Don't you mean that you knew the guy who taught Miller how to draw, and had a nanny who gave Claremont the idea for the mini series? :baiting:

DG

Go read the Mini Series.

I hated the mini-series. I bought 6 copies of each when they came out and I'm glad it was forgettable.

DG

I thought the mini-series was phenomenal.

The bear was obviously a throw-back to that mini-series.

I thought the first half of the movie was better than the second and I thought that the bear scene was an integral part of that first half.

I loved it.