• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Fantastic Four #67 (A)

10 posts in this topic

Time to grade properly my few FF #67 I have picked in my quest for a copy which satisfies me of this issue.

This was my original copy – a nice VF range book with minor wear, and I still love it but unfortunately the bottom staple got detached from the cover and I fixed it with (removable) archival tape and neatly re-stapled it (with its original staple).

It was pretty firm, but with the Silver Age books of this period it is a thing which can happen unexpectedly.

I would appreciate your thoughts very much on how you think the detached staple defect affects the grade. I usually downgrade of two units for that, as it seems it's how CGC treats the unfortunate incident. :(

Many thanks in advance! (thumbs u

JnBFvtbh.jpg

High res: http://i.imgur.com/JnBFvtb.jpg

dErN9GOh.jpg

High res: http://i.imgur.com/dErN9GO.jpg

Thanks, Wayne. (thumbs u

I don’t like Q grades, I just wished to hear the others with CGC expertise how much a 7.5/8.0 or so like this one would be downgraded. 3.5 feels really too slow – as much as I don’t like detached staples it still is a nice book, so I was thinking in the 5.0/5.5 range? hm

staples are a hot subject...

From what I understand, detached or popped staples get hammered by CGC and they have gotten really good at spotting ones that have been removed and reinstalled.

I am in the range of marvel collector:

8.0 Green

or

4.0 Blue

Thanks rfoii. But I guess it would be an 8.0 Green, just in case, as the repair I made can be removed and it woul get a "Qualified".

But, stated I don’t like to consider "Qualified" grades, still a 4.0 sounds too harsh from me. That was the old Overstreet custom, to downgrade to a VG no matter the initial grade. From what I get, CGC does not downgrade more than 2-2.5 points for a cover detached at a single staple, and I think it degrades about 1 point for a centerfold detached at one staple.

Could anyone with more expertise chime in? That would be great. (thumbs u

Thanks rfoii. But I guess it would be an 8.0 Green, just in case, as the repair I made can be removed and it woul get a "Qualified".

But, stated I don’t like to consider "Qualified" grades, still a 4.0 sounds too harsh from me. That was the old Overstreet custom, to downgrade to a VG no matter the initial grade. From what I get, CGC does not downgrade more than 2-2.5 points for a cover detached at a single staple, and I think it degrades about 1 point for a centerfold detached at one staple.

Could anyone with more expertise chime in? That would be great. (thumbs u

You're right on the Green, my bad. I updated my post.

To your point, I hope someone with more specific experience with the CGC and staples chimes in.

There have been examples shown on the boards of CGC 6.5s Blue with popped staples.

One of the Overstreet Grading Guides also shows 6.5 with popped bottom staple.

Thanks, Wayne. (thumbs u

I don’t like Q grades, I just wished to hear the others with CGC expertise how much a 7.5/8.0 or so like this one would be downgraded. 3.5 feels really too slow – as much as I don’t like detached staples it still is a nice book, so I was thinking in the 5.0/5.5 range? hm

Yes, I'm sure you're right. Might be graded even a hair higher.

Just my personal (extreme) downgrade...