• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Darkhawk Appreciation Thread
3 3

689 posts in this topic

On 2/26/2021 at 10:11 PM, revat said:

Two bidders got into a bid war. 

Unrelated, I got my 9.8 copy of this. I was pretty stoked because it was a wall book once upon a time and it makes me happy to own it. Sort of like how Punisher #1 Limited Series was a wall book and I ended up buying a 9.8 copy just to make my inner child smile. However, this was particularly issue was annoying because I was a fan of the hawk immediately upon the 1st issue and when I went to pick up issue #4 at the grocery store it was already sold out. My neighborhood was big on the bad guy and it irked me that others would buy a book I specifically thought I deserved. LOL. My first lesson of increase prices due to buyer demand.

On 2/28/2021 at 11:47 AM, whetteon said:

Two bidders got into a bid war. 

Unrelated, I got my 9.8 copy of this. I was pretty stoked because it was a wall book once upon a time and it makes me happy to own it. Sort of like how Punisher #1 Limited Series was a wall book and I ended up buying a 9.8 copy just to make my inner child smile. However, this was particularly issue was annoying because I was a fan of the hawk immediately upon the 1st issue and when I went to pick up issue #4 at the grocery store it was already sold out. My neighborhood was big on the bad guy and it irked me that others would buy a book I specifically thought I deserved. LOL. My first lesson of increase prices due to buyer demand.

I thought I was imagining this being a wall book until you confirmed it.  Not sure why it was once so sought after though.  I personally love it.  Probably my second favorite cover after #1.  Here is my graded copy.  Have a pretty decent Mark Jewelers copy too and a stack of raw 9.8s.  Was really lucky to stumble upon this one before all of the other cool dudes jumped on the Darkhawk train. 

D2B85B80-FA10-47B7-8184-70A9E64D77F8.jpeg

I think it was due to the "cool cover" and a perception that this might be the "big bad" for Darkhawk. His police reference lead many to believe he'd be like Iron Man/Punisher and eventually become a reoccurring character in the Darkhawk universe. (although it was resolved in the same story).

Beautiful copy btw and a jeweler copy to boot? Some Hawk fans have all the luck. :tonofbricks:

Edited by whetteon

13 hours ago, Boboset said:

I thought I was imagining this being a wall book until you confirmed it.  Not sure why it was once so sought after though.  I personally love it.  Probably my second favorite cover after #1.  Here is my graded copy.  Have a pretty decent Mark Jewelers copy too and a stack of raw 9.8s.  Was really lucky to stumble upon this one before all of the other cool dudes jumped on the Darkhawk train. 

D2B85B80-FA10-47B7-8184-70A9E64D77F8.jpeg

Any idea how high the mark jewelers goes? So far my count just goes to issue 5

7 minutes ago, revat said:

Any idea how high the mark jewelers goes? So far my count just goes to issue 5

That’s the last issue that I have with one. Never found a #1 with it either. 

Tough black cover...

big thanks to Rich Henn!!!

299CDFA5-1ABE-4995-BC60-B008A2A4904F.jpeg

1 hour ago, Boboset said:

Very cool!  How many more do you need for a complete run? 

Four short on 9.8 blues, ideally I get a set of Cgc SS at some point too, obviously it will be slow

11 hours ago, revat said:

Four short on 9.8 blues, ideally I get a set of Cgc SS at some point too, obviously it will be slow

Nice!  Which four issues do you need? 

1 hour ago, Boboset said:

Nice!  Which four issues do you need? 

31, 32, 38, 47

I had to go check my copy of Darkhawk #4 to see if I had the Mark Jewelers insert... nope.. Nolan Ryan baseball cards insert.

I had my #1 graded, came back as a 8.5 :( but it was my first submission so didn't know what to do necessarily (hindsight, a pressing may have helped).

I have the complete run (raw except for #1) and one day may have to part with the set if/when my wife and I decide to move out of the country.

Someone bought up all the Darkhawk slabs on Worldwide (note it wasn’t me, I got the ones I needed years ago).

98FC10C8-7D55-4D54-99E4-1979091EFA80.jpeg

13 hours ago, revat said:

Someone bought up all the Darkhawk slabs on Worldwide (note it wasn’t me, I got the ones I needed years ago).

98FC10C8-7D55-4D54-99E4-1979091EFA80.jpeg

They might be sending them to Rich Henns Darkhawk SS signing at the end of the month. I'm debating on cracking out a few universals to send myself. 

3 hours ago, 1dingo said:

They might be sending them to Rich Henns Darkhawk SS signing at the end of the month. I'm debating on cracking out a few universals to send myself. 

Word? Is there a posting for that? Is it too late?  (Feel free to tell me to pm rich henn )