• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did pressing a comic before every sub become the norm?

923 posts in this topic

I was wondering how long it would take before undisclosed pressing would be compared to Ariel Castro. :eyeroll:

Yes, truly 'The Saddest Day Ever'.

Everything is on eleven around here.

No kidding.

But it will be cool to watch this thread calmly discuss the pros and cons of pressing.

I was wondering how long it would take before undisclosed pressing would be compared to Ariel Castro. :eyeroll:

No kidding.

But it will be cool to watch this thread calmly discuss the pros and cons of pressing.

What are truly the Cons of pressing though? It is a low risk high reward endeavor. You aren't adding anything to the book.

The only con I see with pressing is how mysterious the process is.

:D

139984.jpg

That was awesome.

Seconded......

and with that the motion that Monday is the new Friday is carried.

Huzzah!!!

No kidding.

What are truly the Cons of pressing though? It is a low risk high reward endeavor. You aren't adding anything to the book.

You don't wanna know! :o

2tdll.jpg

I have a copy of the JSC Midtown variant for 700 and Superior 1. I'd like to get those both pressed, signed, and graded. They are going for big money right now and I could see flipping them for a solid ASM key.

Does that make me a bad person?

Do you plan to disclose the pressing when you sell? If not, you are basically victimizing the buyer with a con game.

I guess the question becomes, what kind of person do you want to be? Do you want to be the type of person who treats others fairly, or do you want to be the type of person who victimizes others for his own interests? The guy in Cleveland who kept three women locked in his basement for ten years falls into the latter category. Is that the kind of company you want to be in?

lol I can't take that seriously. I must assume this is intentionally inflammatory.

Yea I'm just going to ignore it.

My question is, whose shill account is that? People must be getting board talking about the Moderation on the boards.

And I assume when I buy any 9.8 book it has been pressed. I'd also love to know who is buying a 9.8, cracking it, and resubmitting for a grade bump.

It I not a shill account, it is my only account. The name is Jim Bowman and I have been collecting comics for 29 years, since I was 10. And no, it was not intentionally inflammatory. It was an honest answer to a serious question. No one with a conscience would press a book and sell it without disclosing the pressing. People who do that are con artists, period. They are no different than used car salesmen who put sawdust into a crankcase in order to quiet a car down for a sale.

I have a copy of the JSC Midtown variant for 700 and Superior 1. I'd like to get those both pressed, signed, and graded. They are going for big money right now and I could see flipping them for a solid ASM key.

Do you plan to disclose the pressing when you sell? If not, you are basically victimizing the buyer with a con game.

I guess the question becomes, what kind of person do you want to be? Do you want to be the type of person who treats others fairly, or do you want to be the type of person who victimizes others for his own interests? The guy in Cleveland who kept three women locked in his basement for ten years falls into the latter category. Is that the kind of company you want to be in?

lol I can't take that seriously. I must assume this is intentionally inflammatory.

My question is, whose shill account is that? People must be getting board talking about the Moderation on the boards.

And I assume when I buy any 9.8 book it has been pressed. I'd also love to know who is buying a 9.8, cracking it, and resubmitting for a grade bump.

It I not a shill account, it is my only account. The name is Jim Bowman and I have been collecting comics for 29 years, since I was 10. And no, it was not intentionally inflammatory. It was an honest answer to a serious question. No one with a conscience would press a book and sell it without disclosing the pressing. People who do that are con artists, period. They are no different than used car salesmen who put sawdust into a crankcase in order to quiet a car down for a sale.

I think a more appropriate analogy might be used car dealers that steam clean the engine and wash the car prior to putting it on the lot.

No kidding.

I've never pressed. I'm curious what it does and what it doesn't do. I don't collect moderns in 9.8, so have no interest in that segment of the market. I collect Silver and Bronze and some Golden and am wondering what pressing, in certain instances can do.

Example: I have a nice copy of ASM 129. I'd call it VF. (I prefer words to numbers, but call it 8.0 if you wish.) The only thing keeping it from VF/NM 9.0 or higher is a bend, non color-breaking in the upper right corner. It's as if the book was stored with its upper right corner leaning over something. Is pressing likely to fix this? This book is in my collection and I think I would enjoy it more if it was flatter. If it comes time to slab and or sell at some point, having it worth more with a bump up in condition is nice as well.

Example 2: ASM 100. The book seems to have gotten damp at some point and is warped/wavy all through. No water damage or rusty staples, just serious waves. Will pressing likely fix this. This book is a duplicate and I could certainly sell or trade for something else I want, but would like to maximize my value.

Thoughts?

You don't think it's the *tiniest* bit ludicrous to compare what happened in Cleveland to pressing a comic book? That doesn't really help your side of the argument.

Your analogies are horrendously off and make very little sense. I'm sure that's why it appeared to be a shill account to others, and myself as well.

You don't think it's the *tiniest* bit ludicrous to compare what happened in Cleveland to pressing a comic book? That doesn't really help your side of the argument.

Your analogies are horrendously off and make very little sense. I'm sure that's why it appeared to be a shill account to others, and myself as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence

:cool:

No kidding.

I've never pressed. I'm curious what it does and what it doesn't do. I don't collect moderns in 9.8, so have no interest in that segment of the market. I collect Silver and Bronze and some Golden and am wondering what pressing, in certain instances can do.

Example: I have a nice copy of ASM 129. I'd call it VF. (I prefer words to numbers, but call it 8.0 if you wish.) The only thing keeping it from VF/NM 9.0 or higher is a bend, non color-breaking in the upper right corner. It's as if the book was stored with its upper right corner leaning over something. Is pressing likely to fix this? This book is in my collection and I think I would enjoy it more if it was flatter. If it comes time to slab and or sell at some point, having it worth more with a bump up in condition is nice as well.

Example 2: ASM 100. The book seems to have gotten damp at some point and is warped/wavy all through. No water damage or rusty staples, just serious waves. Will pressing likely fix this. This book is a duplicate and I could certainly sell or trade for something else I want, but would like to maximize my value.

Thoughts?

press away. If those are the only flaws. They will def get healthy bumps.

Thoughts?

Very high probability on the first example, especially if it's a NCB bend and not even a crease.

The second would depend on the severity, but I've seen some serious warping/waviness removed by competent pressers.

I think a more appropriate analogy might be used car dealers that steam clean the engine and wash the car prior to putting it on the lot.

Neither works.

Pressing is akin to selling a car that had previously been in an accident which resulted in bodywork being hammered out.

I agree with both of these statements.

The moral culpability of keeping three women locked in a basement for sexual gratification is so very very much worse than undisclosed pressing that you belittle their trauma by comparing the two and at the same time undermine your own argument by seeming foolish.

Besides, everyone knows on the internet the correct analogy is to Hitler.

You've been GODWIN'd

Neither works.

Pressing is akin to selling a car that had previously been in an accident which resulted in bodywork being hammered out.

Not really. Cleaning the car adds nothing. Bodywork is akin to restoration, given the addition of bondo, paint, etc.

Besides, everyone knows on the internet the correct analogy is to Hitler.

You've been GODWIN'd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-fulfilling_prophecy

:baiting: