• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did pressing a comic before every sub become the norm?

923 posts in this topic

I have a copy of the JSC Midtown variant for 700 and Superior 1. I'd like to get those both pressed, signed, and graded. They are going for big money right now and I could see flipping them for a solid ASM key.

Does that make me a bad person?

Do you plan to disclose the pressing when you sell? If not, you are basically victimizing the buyer with a con game.

I guess the question becomes, what kind of person do you want to be? Do you want to be the type of person who treats others fairly, or do you want to be the type of person who victimizes others for his own interests? The guy in Cleveland who kept three women locked in his basement for ten years falls into the latter category. Is that the kind of company you want to be in?

lol I can't take that seriously. I must assume this is intentionally inflammatory.

Yea I'm just going to ignore it.

My question is, whose shill account is that? People must be getting board talking about the Moderation on the boards.

And I assume when I buy any 9.8 book it has been pressed. I'd also love to know who is buying a 9.8, cracking it, and resubmitting for a grade bump.

It I not a shill account, it is my only account. The name is Jim Bowman and I have been collecting comics for 29 years, since I was 10. And no, it was not intentionally inflammatory. It was an honest answer to a serious question. No one with a conscience would press a book and sell it without disclosing the pressing. People who do that are con artists, period. They are no different than used car salesmen who put sawdust into a crankcase in order to quiet a car down for a sale.

I think a more appropriate analogy might be used car dealers that steam clean the engine and wash the car prior to putting it on the lot.

Neither works.

Pressing is akin to selling a car that had previously been in an accident which resulted in bodywork being hammered out.

But both are far closer to the mark than the heinous depravity necessary to enslave another human being and subjecting them to the basest form of torture for over a decade.

That comparison is just the right level of silly that works on Friday. Laying it out there on a Monday is like trying to jump off the line in 4th gear. We've got to work our way up to that level of froth.

I have a copy of the JSC Midtown variant for 700 and Superior 1. I'd like to get those both pressed, signed, and graded. They are going for big money right now and I could see flipping them for a solid ASM key.

Do you plan to disclose the pressing when you sell? If not, you are basically victimizing the buyer with a con game.

I guess the question becomes, what kind of person do you want to be? Do you want to be the type of person who treats others fairly, or do you want to be the type of person who victimizes others for his own interests? The guy in Cleveland who kept three women locked in his basement for ten years falls into the latter category. Is that the kind of company you want to be in?

lol I can't take that seriously. I must assume this is intentionally inflammatory.

My question is, whose shill account is that? People must be getting board talking about the Moderation on the boards.

And I assume when I buy any 9.8 book it has been pressed. I'd also love to know who is buying a 9.8, cracking it, and resubmitting for a grade bump.

It I not a shill account, it is my only account. The name is Jim Bowman and I have been collecting comics for 29 years, since I was 10. And no, it was not intentionally inflammatory. It was an honest answer to a serious question. No one with a conscience would press a book and sell it without disclosing the pressing. People who do that are con artists, period. They are no different than used car salesmen who put sawdust into a crankcase in order to quiet a car down for a sale.

I think a more appropriate analogy might be used car dealers that steam clean the engine and wash the car prior to putting it on the lot.

Neither works.

Pressing is akin to selling a car that had previously been in an accident which resulted in bodywork being hammered out.

But both are far closer to the mark than the heinous depravity necessary to enslave another human being and subjecting them to the basest form of torture for over a decade.

That comparison is just the right level of silly that works on Friday. Laying it out there on a Monday is like trying to jump off the line in 4th gear. We've got to work our way up to that level of froth.

Everyone says stupid things from time to time, but that kind of comment (the comparison of pressing to sexual torture) is right up there with top echelon assclown behavior. The poster would have been better off not coming back and letting people think he was just trolling, than to actually think he felt that way.

Neither works.

^^

Neither works.

Not really. Cleaning the car adds nothing. Bodywork is akin to restoration, given the addition of bondo, paint, etc.

:gossip: Pressing is restoration, no matter how slight and non-intrusive.

No one with a conscience would press a book and sell it without disclosing the pressing. People who do that are con artists, period. They are no different than used car salesmen who put sawdust into a crankcase in order to quiet a car down for a sale.

How is selling a pressed book cheating the buyer (a'la a con artist)?

Buyer is buying a CGC 9.8 book, Buyer pays for a CGC 9.8 book, Buyer gets a CGC 9.8 book.

Where's the con?

Do you disclose everything you have done to a book while it was in your possession prior to a sale?

Cause if you don't you're no different than the Pilgrams trading pox infested blankets to the Native Americans. [am I playing the non sequitur hyperbole game right?]

[disclaimer, the few pressed books I've sold, were bought pre-pressed by the former owner, and I disclosed the pre-existing press]

Neither works.

Not really. Cleaning the car adds nothing. Bodywork is akin to restoration, given the addition of bondo, paint, etc.

I didn't talk about additives, just the simple act of knocking out a dent.

And pressing is restoration, given that (a) you're restoring a book back to a previous state and (b) it has been classified as restoration within the hobby since the year dot. The fact that a gravy train needed fuelling with aggressive revisionism doesn't change either.

I was wondering how long it would take before undisclosed pressing would be compared to Ariel Castro. :eyeroll:

Yes, truly 'The Saddest Day Ever'.

Everything is on eleven around here.

No kidding.

But it will be cool to watch this thread calmly discuss the pros and cons of pressing.

What are truly the Cons of pressing though? It is a low risk high reward endeavor. You aren't adding anything to the book.

The only con I see with pressing is how mysterious the process is.

There are a variety of reasonings why people don't like pressed books, usually grounded in personal feelings toward the process - but there may be more to those reasons. It's hard to tell, though - because the harelips around here usually junk up the thread and dilute the discussion.

Interesting factoid: the temperature you expose the book to in a press is the same temperature that the paper is exposed to when curing the inks when it comes off the press (180-220 degrees).

Pressed books have flattened/crushed spine and look like pancakes. That is one good reason enough for me why I don't like pressed books. Almost undetectable when books stay in their CGC holders but rather easy to see if raw. That is true for books with staples. I must confess however that for squarebound books (like Annuals or Giant-Size issues) it is extremely hard to tell the difference even when raw.

But who would press books if not for submitting to CGC ? There is a minority of books that will really benefit from pressing and improve in eye appeal, but most will be pressed just to improve the value once CGC graded. And CGC is doing its own house pressing now....

Neither works.

:gossip: Pressing is restoration, no matter how slight and non-intrusive.

I can argue that angle, or against it. But I tend to agree if we are talking levels of degree.

I don't like car analogies. Although I think the car wash analogy is apt, it opens you up to the "but aqueous and solvent cleanings are detectable :preach: " attack, which is difficult to recover from.

I was wondering how long it would take before undisclosed pressing would be compared to Ariel Castro. :eyeroll:

No kidding.

But it will be cool to watch this thread calmly discuss the pros and cons of pressing.

What are truly the Cons of pressing though? It is a low risk high reward endeavor. You aren't adding anything to the book.

There are a variety of reasonings why people don't like pressed books, usually grounded in personal feelings toward the process - but there may be more to those reasons. It's hard to tell, though - because the harelips around here usually junk up the thread and dilute the discussion.

Interesting factoid: the temperature you expose the book to in a press is the same temperature that the paper is exposed to when curing the inks when it comes off the press (180-220 degrees).

Pressed books have flattened/crushed spine and look like pancakes. That is one good reason enough for me why I don't like pressed books. Almost undetectable when books stay in their CGC holders but rather easy to see if raw. That is true for books with staples. I must confess however that for squarebound books (like Annuals or Giant-Size issues) it is extremely hard to tell the difference even when raw.

But who would press books if not for submitting to CGC ? There is a minority of books that will really benefit from pressing and improve in eye appeal, but most will be pressed just to improve the value once CGC graded. And CGC is doing its own house pressing now....

I have books pressed without submitting.

And pressing is restoration, given that (a) you're restoring a book back to a previous state and (b) it has been classified as restoration within the hobby since the year dot. The fact that a gravy train needed fuelling with aggressive revisionism doesn't change either.

Popping out a dome dent with heat or pressure is a good analogy. And no disagreement on that definition of restoration (at least from me :) ).

No kidding.

That is the minority though, as most pressed books sit in a CGC holder.

Neither works.

:applause:

But it has nothing to do with Maxx ashcans :shrug:

No kidding.

That is the minority though, as most pressed books sit in a CGC holder.

It is late here. In the morning I will try and post some pics of books from the same oo collection some pressed and some not. I have never compared them. It will be interesting to compare the spines.

Pressing is restoration, no matter how slight and non-intrusive.

I don't believe pressing is restoration, nor is it repair - because the process in which it works does not introduce anything (chemical or material) into the book that was not there originally in order to bring it back to a previous state of condition.

Putting a book under pressure using heat is not a restorative process, IMHO. This is the grey area where people seem to get hostile, which is why there is no acceptance of what it is or isn't.

Cause if you don't you're no different than the Pilgrams trading pox infested blankets to the Native Americans.

Pilgrims? I thought that happened in the 19th century (?)

HEY! My hyperbole doesnt have to be historically accurate!

Just equal parts HYPER and BOLE

(anyone know what bole is?)

Pressing is restoration, no matter how slight and non-intrusive.

I don't believe pressing is restoration, nor is it repair - because the process in which it works does not introduce anything (chemical or material) into the book that was not there originally in order to bring it back to a previous state of condition.

That's the definition of restoration.