• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did pressing a comic before every sub become the norm?

923 posts in this topic

At least once a day I see/hear this:

I bought "insert bronze, copper or modern semi key book" out of a box at a "insert LCS, thrift-shop or flea-market". Tear on back cover and water stains on the front. I think I will press it and sub hoping to get a "insert ridiculously high grade not worth cash anyhow"!

Wtih water stains and tears, pressing won't do a darn bit of good. :baiting:

I have a magic press... :baiting:

They are all magic.

Unless it's a waffle.

I remember Joey, CFPComics, mentioning something about developing a technique where one can press a book without crushing the spine. Plus, I think it applied more to books with the older, newsprint type pages as opposed to moderns or books with baxter paper.

Yeah, good pressers know how to avoid this, and it's really not rocket science.

Pressing is restoration, no matter how slight and non-intrusive.

I don't believe pressing is restoration, nor is it repair - because the process in which it works does not introduce anything (chemical or material) into the book that was not there originally in order to bring it back to a previous state of condition.

Putting a book under pressure using heat is not a restorative process, IMHO. This is the grey area where people seem to get hostile, which is why there is no acceptance of what it is or isn't.

+1

I just don't see how you can say it is restoration.

In all honesty, if you really cannot see a difference after you compare the spine of your unpressed and pressed books (with staples) from that collection, please PM me with the name of your presser :gossip:

I've always thought the big issue was that CGC was not able to say 100% whether a book has been pressed or not... How can you be so certain?

I don't believe pressing is restoration, nor is it repair - because the process in which it works does not introduce anything (chemical or material) into the book that was not there originally in order to bring it back to a previous state of condition.

Putting a book under pressure using heat is not a restorative process, IMHO. This is the grey area where people seem to get hostile, which is why there is no acceptance of what it is or isn't.

+1

In all honesty, if you really cannot see a difference after you compare the spine of your unpressed and pressed books (with staples) from that collection, please PM me with the name of your presser :gossip:

I've always thought the big issue was that CGC was not able to say 100% whether a book has been pressed or not... How can you be so certain?

see pics on page 14 and give me your opinion.

Cause if you don't you're no different than the Pilgrams trading pox infested blankets to the Native Americans.

Pilgrims? I thought that happened in the 19th century (?)

HEY! My hyperbole doesnt have to be historically accurate!

Just equal parts HYPER and BOLE

(anyone know what bole is?)

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor with Pox infected blankets during the Korean conflict?

+1

see pics on page 14 and give me your opinion.

How about pics where you don't tell us? Let us guess.

Pressed XM 110

IMG_0902_zpse0e9252d.jpg

Unpressed XM 131

IMG_0903_zps18a3349c.jpg

Your pictures do a better job than I thought (worship)

Look at the natural curve, the slight bump on the spine of X-Men #131 vs the flattened, almost crushed spine of #110. I am sure it is pretty more obvious when holding the books in your hands.

Best though would have been to take pictures of the same book before and after pressing. Too late for the #110 but if you ever send #131 for pressing please provide me with the new picture.

Boring?

God forbid that we should actually discuss comics and the comic market when we could be posting as-funny-as-kidney-stones memes, spouting 'pernts' at every turn like plankton with tourettes, contributing to birthday threads for boarders who haven't posted since 1814, and attempting to get each and every thread locked so that people can up their score in the Vegetable Challenge.

:golfclap:

You do all that mess, what are you clapping for? lol

Pressed XM 110

IMG_0902_zpse0e9252d.jpg

Unpressed XM 131

IMG_0903_zps18a3349c.jpg

Your pictures do a better job than I thought (worship)

Look at the natural curve, the slight bump on the spine of X-Men #131 vs the flattened, almost crushed spine of #110. I am sure it is pretty more obvious when holding the books in your hands.

Best though would have been to take pictures of the same book before and after pressing. Too late for the #110 but if you ever send #131 for pressing please provide me with the new picture.

Bingo. This is akin to before and after pictures in a weight loss infomercial with two different people used for each shot.

No one with a conscience would press a book and sell it without disclosing the pressing. People who do that are con artists, period. They are no different than used car salesmen who put sawdust into a crankcase in order to quiet a car down for a sale.

How is selling a pressed book cheating the buyer (a'la a con artist)?

Buyer is buying a CGC 9.8 book, Buyer pays for a CGC 9.8 book, Buyer gets a CGC 9.8 book.

Where's the con?

Do you disclose everything you have done to a book while it was in your possession prior to a sale?

Cause if you don't you're no different than the Pilgrams trading pox infested blankets to the Native Americans. [am I playing the non sequitur hyperbole game right?]

[disclaimer, the few pressed books I've sold, were bought pre-pressed by the former owner, and I disclosed the pre-existing press]

Pressing of comic books is a con game because it's getting a buyer to pay more for something then he would if he had complete knowledge of the book's condition.

First, keep in mind that pressing does not restore a comic book to it's previous condition, it only gives the appearance of having done so. The creases and wrinkles are still there at a microscopic level.

To understand that, it helps if you know the difference between elastic deformation and plastic deformation. If you bend or roll a comic cover in your fingers slightly, but it goes back to being flat as soon as you let go, that is elastic deformation. If you do the same thing but leave a finger bend, that's plastic deformation, which is irreversible. Plastic deformation cannot be pressed out, it can only be obscured or hidden.

If an 8.0 book (worth $1000) is pressed and gets slabbed as a 9.0, in my opinion it is not a true 9.0, it is an 8.0 that has been manipulated to look like a 9.0 to the naked eye. To make matters worse, the book has been exposed to extreme heat, which could be a catalyst for deterioration of the page quality in the long run. If I then unwittingly buy that book for $2000 (the 9.0 price), I have been robbed of $1000. If I never crack out the book and look at it under a microscope, I may not know that I have been robbed, but I have been robbed just the same.

It seems very easy for people to gloss over the extent to which sellers of books with undisclosed pressing are victimizing the collectors who buy those books.

I have a copy of the JSC Midtown variant for 700 and Superior 1. I'd like to get those both pressed, signed, and graded. They are going for big money right now and I could see flipping them for a solid ASM key.

Does that make me a bad person?

Do you plan to disclose the pressing when you sell? If not, you are basically victimizing the buyer with a con game.

I guess the question becomes, what kind of person do you want to be? Do you want to be the type of person who treats others fairly, or do you want to be the type of person who victimizes others for his own interests? The guy in Cleveland who kept three women locked in his basement for ten years falls into the latter category. Is that the kind of company you want to be in?

pukeface.gif Credibility officially compromised.

Who cares. Majority have pressed books in their collection. I'd love to know the ones who bash pressing and press behind closed doors for profit. It honestly doesn't matter. Our hobby is stuck with it and cgc deemed pressing universal. All you can do at this point is disclose pressing. Enjoy the grade bumps my friends.

No one with a conscience would press a book and sell it without disclosing the pressing. People who do that are con artists, period. They are no different than used car salesmen who put sawdust into a crankcase in order to quiet a car down for a sale.

Buyer is buying a CGC 9.8 book, Buyer pays for a CGC 9.8 book, Buyer gets a CGC 9.8 book.

Where's the con?

Do you disclose everything you have done to a book while it was in your possession prior to a sale?

Cause if you don't you're no different than the Pilgrams trading pox infested blankets to the Native Americans. [am I playing the non sequitur hyperbole game right?]

[disclaimer, the few pressed books I've sold, were bought pre-pressed by the former owner, and I disclosed the pre-existing press]

Pressing of comic books is a con game because it's getting a buyer to pay more for something then he would if he had complete knowledge of the book's condition.

First, keep in mind that pressing does not restore a comic book to it's previous condition, it only gives the appearance of having done so. The creases and wrinkles are still there at a microscopic level.

To understand that, it helps if you know the difference between elastic deformation and plastic deformation. If you roll bend or roll a comic cover in your fingers slightly, but it goes back to being flat as soon as you let go, that is elastic deformation. If you do the same thing but leave a finger bend, that's plastic deformation, which is irreversible. Plastic deformation cannot be pressed out, it can only be obscured or hidden.

If an 8.0 book (worth $1000) is pressed and gets slabbed as a 9.0, in my opinion it is not a true 9.0, it is an 8.0 that has been manipulated to look like a 9.0 to the naked eye. To make matters worse, the book has been exposed to extreme heat, which could be a catalyst for deterioration of the page quality in the long run. If I then unwittingly buy that book for $2000 (the 9.0 price), I have been robbed of $1000. If I never crack out the book and look at it under a microscope, I may not know that I have been robbed, but I have been robbed just the same.

It seems very easy for people to gloss over the extent to which sellers of books with undisclosed pressing are victimizing the collectors who buy those books.

+1

While I do not agree with your analogy with Ariel Castro which was totally extreme, inappropriate and misplaced, I do agree with your last post.

+1

Maybe because its a word that is in the english language and already defined. Maybe because it was printed in overstreet as being restoration for 25 or so years.

That was definitely The case for cgcs first decade. Now they claim they can detect pressing. The only part of the game that stays the same is that everything changes.

+1

Maybe because its a word that is in the english language and already defined. Maybe because it was printed in overstreet as being restoration for 25 or so years.

That was definitely The case for cgcs first decade. Now they claim they can detect pressing. The only part of the game that stays the same is that everything changes.

They can detect bad pressing... and now more readily down grade more for it.

Where's the con?

To understand that, it helps if you know the difference between elastic deformation and plastic deformation. If you bend or roll a comic cover in your fingers slightly, but it goes back to being flat as soon as you let go, that is elastic deformation. If you do the same thing but leave a finger bend, that's plastic deformation, which is irreversible. Plastic deformation cannot be pressed out, it can only be obscured or hidden.

I think the average collector would be better served to worry more about market fluctuations than inexpensive, non-destructive cellular/molecular/atomic detection methods that don't currently exist.

Where's the con?

I'd never thought of looking at my books under a microscope to grade them. hm

Do people do that?

Boring?

God forbid that we should actually discuss comics and the comic market when we could be posting as-funny-as-kidney-stones memes, spouting 'pernts' at every turn like plankton with tourettes, contributing to birthday threads for boarders who haven't posted since 1814, and attempting to get each and every thread locked so that people can up their score in the Vegetable Challenge.

I've been lollering so much my stomach hurts! lol

This is why you are genuinely one of my favourite posters on this chat forum.