• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Capitalization consequences of Ebay Kicking off 15,000 sellers....

128 posts in this topic

You should take a look at Rip-Off Report.com sometime. Completely anonymous trashing of businesses. They vigorously defend lawsuits attempting to find out the real names (or IP addresses) of their anonymous posters.

I'd rather not. I get the gist.

Stuff like that just makes me want to be sick to my stomach.

doh!

So you're saying eBay is using their model? lol

My only problem is that there is no "resolution" system if someone just wants to ding your DSR's they can.

I had someone purchase the absolute cheapest item I sell, and then give me a 1 on item as described. Saying it was bad quality, it was a disk only Gamecube game, listed as acceptable. For like $7 and free shipping. Not sure exactly what you are expecting for a $3 video game Never even sent an email, heck, I'd comp them the whole game if they asked vs getting a 1 in DSR, but Ebay just lets them bend ya over :shrug:

Either way, has anyone tried Ebid.net yet? I am thinking of moving a few listings over there and testing it out. I figure it's worth $50 to try it out.

No, just saying that allowing people to anonymous trash businesses is not a new concept. :)

Oh, I know it's not.

It's just so disappointing to watch eBay turn ever so slowly from what it used to be to what it is today all the while holding everyone hostage. Nobody saw it coming.

I will always remember Ebay as it was in 1999. An amazing repository of comics that I had never seen in high grade before, and then, suddenly had the opportunity to not own due to greggy, Joe Serpico and sullypython.

There were a few other names that I remember but they escape me now.

I didn't look at eBay until 2002 or 2003 but even then, it was heavenly.

:cloud9:

I will always remember Ebay as it was in 1999. An amazing repository of comics that I had never seen in high grade before, and then, suddenly had the opportunity to not own due to greggy, Joe Serpico and sullypython.

There were a few other names that I remember but they escape me now.

I didn't look at eBay until 2002 or 2003 but even then, it was heavenly.

:cloud9:

That's when I first got a paycheck and ventured into the wonderful world of ebay. Oh how great things were then.

I can't stand going on it anymore :frustrated:

I haven't sold anything on eBay for 10 years or more, so I may not understand the current rating system. But it seems to be another indication that eBay is consciously skewing the site towards large sellers. A high-volume seller can probably withstand a few unjustified bad ratings without a problem, whereas a few bad ratings can knock a low-volume seller off the site. Worth mentioning, of course, that high-volume sellers provide eBay with more revenue and fewer problems than low-volume sellers.

The curious aspect of the rating system from my point of view is that, if I understand it correctly, even a 4/5 on the star ratings can cause significant problems for a low-volume seller. 4/5 should mean "solid but not great," which describes most transactions. Apparently, though, eBay interprets it as "had a problem of some sort with the sale."

My only problem is that there is no "resolution" system if someone just wants to ding your DSR's they can.

I had someone purchase the absolute cheapest item I sell, and then give me a 1 on item as described. Saying it was bad quality, it was a disk only Gamecube game, listed as acceptable. For like $7 and free shipping. Not sure exactly what you are expecting for a $3 video game Never even sent an email, heck, I'd comp them the whole game if they asked vs getting a 1 in DSR, but Ebay just lets them bend ya over :shrug:

Either way, has anyone tried Ebid.net yet? I am thinking of moving a few listings over there and testing it out. I figure it's worth $50 to try it out.

You can actually try it out for free and save the $50.There will be some fees this way but they will still be cheaper than ebay.

Just don't expect a lot of fast sales..

The most hated company on the 'net has to be eBay. I remember the good old days of selling stuff and actually making money. I sold a ton of Vintage Star Wars stuff on there and a few comic books.

Once it started implementing all these silly rules and double dipping with PayPal, I gave up on it. Putting the corporate think on a bunch of smaller sellers was the worst thing they ever did - that and the one way feedback was just icing on a big turd cake they served to their once faithful user base.

BTW, someone sent me an invite for Comic Swap , I really haven;t had much time to check it out though.

The most hated company on the 'net has to be eBay. I remember the good old days of selling stuff and actually making money. I sold a ton of Vintage Star Wars stuff on there and a few comic books.

Once it started implementing all these silly rules and double dipping with PayPal, I gave up on it. Putting the corporate think on a bunch of smaller sellers was the worst thing they ever did - that and the one way feedback was just icing on a big turd cake they served to their once faithful user base.

BTW, someone sent me an invite for Comic Swap , I really haven;t had much time to check it out though.

Hey, I'm the ComicSwap guy! Thanks for the Mention Designer Toast!

+1

One thing that gets me is the Ebay/Paypal fees. They are so high that technically one could buy a comic book for $ 19.99 today on EBay, but will find out if one tries to sell the same comic book for $19.99 on EBay tomorrow for $19.99 they will have lost money!

:o

That's true of any venue. What fees would be charged on a $20 item?

approx 13%. Seriously are people buying $20 books and selling them for $20? Ive never tried this. Is it the in thing?

They make their money through volume.

Funniest SNL commercial ever.

First: Why do so many from here, buy and sell on Ebay if they do not like Ebay and its policies? Just say "No". Of course IT IS the number one place to find hard to find items, and that is what we here are all about.

Second: There is no such thing as free shipping. Shipping charges are either tacked on at the end of a purchase, or they are built into the purchase price. Either way, the buyer pays.

Or am I wrong? Tell me where and why please.

Second: There ius no such thing as free shipping. Shipping charges are either tacked on at the end of a purchase, or they are built into the purchase price. Either way, the buyer pays.

You are wrong.

Two sellers have the same item up for sale at the same price. One seller offers free shipping, one seller charges for shipping. A buyer who buys the item from the seller offering free shipping is, in fact, getting free shipping.

Second: There ius no such thing as free shipping. Shipping charges are either tacked on at the end of a purchase, or they are built into the purchase price. Either way, the buyer pays.

You are wrong.

Two sellers have the same item up for sale at the same price. One seller offers free shipping, one seller charges for shipping. A buyer who buys the item from the seller offering free shipping is, in fact, getting free shipping.

Or the buyer is just taking advantage of the seller who couldn't figure out ebay's convoluted listing process, and mistakenly listed without a shipping fee. :)

Fail. One person is just selling that NM #98 for less. (fill in whatever item you want to talk about).

Is there a set price for everything? For anything?

No.

Nonsense.

I do woodworking in my spare time and am a big fan of the Festool line of tools. Any store that carries the Festool brand needs to sell the tools at MSRP - if they discount for any reason, they'll loose their license.

If I buy a Festool router from a seller who offers free shipping that's exactly what I'm receiving - free shipping. The seller is taking a loss at MSRP in order to subsidize my shipping.

Mike, 2 questions that may have been missed.

:foryou:

I didn't know you got automatic 5 stars as explained above. Is that a relatively new system?

What sort of report are you talking about? First I'd heard of that too?

it is hated because it touted itself as a way for small-timers to have part-time jobs supplementing their income and surviving the economy. now they're trying to get rid of those small-timers. the mother of 2 with a husband in iraq who sells ____ to keep her family above water can have her ___ ebay business yanked out from under her and be back on foodstamps (if she ever got off) from some irate customer off her meds who happened to buy 10 ___s and decided they didn't arrive fast enough and didn't smell __ enough.