• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Death of Superman and Reign of Supermen - all issues and variants
13 13

404 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2021 at 8:54 AM, Iconic1s said:

I second that!

When I started this thread many moons ago, I thought it was enough of a feat to have just all the issues and variants.  I could not have imagined someone trying to get them all in 9.8 or better.   All I can say is....(worship)

On 8/15/2021 at 7:21 AM, Vfactor1 said:

You are Uncanny…

V.

On 8/15/2021 at 7:54 AM, Iconic1s said:

I second that!

On 8/15/2021 at 8:26 AM, Brandon Shepherd said:

I am so happy for you but I'm also crying right now! 

Thank you! 

On 8/15/2021 at 8:02 AM, Iconic1s said:

Amazing results!!  Congrat!!  Two Legacy of  Superman 2nd prints… two 500 errors.., two Superman 73 2nd prints all in 9.8!!  Not to mention all the other amazing books!!  WOW!!

Looks like this guy got roughed up a bit though… the before pics seemed much sharper than 9.0!  

Thank you as well. 

I agree this one too the brunt of some employees anguish.  I would say by shipping, but these were hand delivered by Joey and he always does such an amazing job . Good example would be one of the Superman 500 Platinum Errors originally was a CGC 8.5 ( No error noted) I was just hoping for a little bump but mostly just to get it noted as an error. Absolutely shocked to see it hit 9.8 but in hand I definitely agree it wasn't one of those gift grades. Joey worked  some magic on several of these books. Some will be making a return trip when CGC gets some of their mess under control.  

On 8/15/2021 at 11:38 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

When I started this thread many moons ago, I thought it was enough of a feat to have just all the issues and variants.  I could not have imagined someone trying to get them all in 9.8 or better.   All I can say is....(worship)

Thank you as well.  I really can't wait to get so many more graded as I have a huge collection of really good ones from this set ( and many more ) that I look forward to seeing how they grade out. 

The real achievement,  as you put it, goes to @Iconic1s Death Return Registry Set that just won an award this year as he has the whole set in 9.8 with only one exception of the AOS 499 third print ( he has it in 9.6) so if anyone reading this has the only one 9.8 or has a raw that looks like it has a good chance Please reach out to him to help him compete his absolutely amazing set. 

Hopefully this next year I will have a BIG surprise in store for this Doomsday set . :wishluck:

On 8/15/2021 at 3:59 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

The real achievement,  as you put it, goes to @Iconic1s Death Return Registry Set that just won an award this year

Thank you @onlyweaknesskryptonite! I truly appreciate the kind words and the help you have given me along the way!  I have been lucky to have met some awesome people like yourself while putting the set together.

On 8/15/2021 at 6:49 PM, Randall Ries said:

So, what happened? Did Superman die?

I recall being mesmerized by the entire story line, and somewhat frustrated that Superman seemingly came back to life as 4 separate dudes.   It really is a fun story to read.   Of course if all your copies are 9.8's like @Iconic1s has in his collection,  you probably need to get a hold of the trade paperbacks to read the story that way instead.... lol.

On 8/15/2021 at 4:59 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Thank you! 

Thank you as well. 

I agree this one too the brunt of some employees anguish.  I would say by shipping, but these were hand delivered by Joey and he always does such an amazing job . Good example would be one of the Superman 500 Platinum Errors originally was a CGC 8.5 ( No error noted) I was just hoping for a little bump but mostly just to get it noted as an error. Absolutely shocked to see it hit 9.8 but in hand I definitely agree it wasn't one of those gift grades. Joey worked  some magic on several of these books. Some will be making a return trip when CGC gets some of their mess under control.  

Thank you as well.  I really can't wait to get so many more graded as I have a huge collection of really good ones from this set ( and many more ) that I look forward to seeing how they grade out. 

The real achievement,  as you put it, goes to @Iconic1s Death Return Registry Set that just won an award this year as he has the whole set in 9.8 with only one exception of the AOS 499 third print ( he has it in 9.6) so if anyone reading this has the only one 9.8 or has a raw that looks like it has a good chance Please reach out to him to help him compete his absolutely amazing set. 

Hopefully this next year I will have a BIG surprise in store for this Doomsday set . :wishluck:

Getting that Adv of SM 499 III in 9.8 will be a tall order.  I had two copies still enclosed in the original shrink-wrapped 2-packs, and both of them had dings on the spines.  Even my best copy is more like a 9.2 to 9.4.   I recall someone saying that the guy who shrink wrapped all those comics books was probably high as a kite.  Those reprints had to make it through that guy's hands and then all the kids thumbing through those 2-packs at Toys-R-Us.  Hopefully someone can help @Iconic1s find the elusive ASM 499 III that somehow managed to get past all of that and still be in near-perfect condition.

On 8/16/2021 at 10:31 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

Getting that Adv of SM 499 III in 9.8 will be a tall order.  I had two copies still enclosed in the original shrink-wrapped 2-packs, and both of them had dings on the spines.  Even my best copy is more like a 9.2 to 9.4.   I recall someone saying that the guy who shrink wrapped all those comics books was probably high as a kite.  Those reprints had to make it through that guy's hands and then all the kids thumbing through those 2-packs at Toys-R-Us.  Hopefully someone can help @Iconic1s find the elusive ASM 499 III that somehow managed to get past all of that and still be in near-perfect condition.

I agree it definitely will be a challenge.  He isn't offering change either. Think his current bounty is up to $1,200 for the 9.8 I know my copies just weren't quite there either one was a 9.2 and took a gamble on pressing and it got downgraded to a 9.0 somewhere it took corner damage that now breaks color.:facepalm: The other graded copy I have is a 9.6 but I do believe it is already as high as it would go. ( Shrink wrap employees pun intended.  )

On 8/16/2021 at 5:59 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Think his current bounty is up to $1,200

plus, I will forever speak of you with amazing *plaudits!

On 8/16/2021 at 10:31 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

the elusive ASM 499 III that somehow managed to get past all of that and still be in near-perfect condition.

I have faith!  I am convinced that this particular Stoner had a few lucid moments where he/she did some of their best work ever.  And then those same packs slipped past throngs of unruly children, who were more interested in 'Barney and Friends', and landed in the hands of collectors that were much more wise than I...

*I just looked this word up.

On 8/16/2021 at 7:27 PM, Iconic1s said:

plus, I will forever speak of you with amazing *plaudits!

I have faith!  I am convinced that this particular Stoner had a few lucid moments where he/she did some of their best work ever.  And then those same packs slipped past throngs of unruly children, who were more interested in 'Barney and Friends', and landed in the hands of collectors that were much more wise than I...

*I just looked this word up.

No doubt all this could happen... on Earth Two.   But seriously, sometimes I wonder how a book like that could get through all those hoops and still be a 9.8.   It makes me think that perhaps a few went straight from the printer into the hands of a collector.

On the other hand, I can see where just a few comic books just get lucky enough to get through all the hoops and still be 9.8.   I recently bought approximately 250 Mark Jeweler variants from a guy in Belgium, and there are probably at least 30 9.8's in that group of 250 comic books (the majority of the rest are 9.0 to 9.6). Apparently, the original owner went to a Military PX and picked out the best copies each week.  They were then placed in cardboard boxes until he sold them approximately 25 years later to the guy in Belgium, who sold them to me.  Keep in mind these darn comic books had to be shipped all the way to Germany, and then placed by some stock clerk onto a newsstand.   Incredible that quite a few of them are still in 9.8 condition.  

On 8/16/2021 at 10:06 PM, Iconic1s said:

Are… you… telling… me… this ISN’T… Earth Two!! :cry:

LOL.    Yes.  You are on Earth Prime.   Have you not read Flash #179 from May 1968?    And I apologize to anyone else who sees this.... I'm getting way off topic.  But we do need to help @Iconic1s get back to his senses.    Wait a minute.... I just realized I'm stuck in the past.  I think Crisis erased all those earths.... so what Earth are we on now?  Has that been explained lately?   

Edited by Cpt Kirk

On 2/23/2021 at 4:24 PM, Iconic1s said:

Just back from CGC!  First 9.8 copy of this printing (a lot of work!).  The third printing in the hidden picture was the first copy of that printing graded.

Only one more to go... please take a look at my set and my WTB post.  Would appreciate any assistance finding Adventures of Superman 499 third printing in 9.8 (and am willing to pay!).  Take care!

F34EFB6D-7690-45C5-8356-C06887EA07A9.thumb.jpeg.e7edbb14768b0864ec7f92b8f56e325c.jpeg

Reveal hidden contents

D610381F-AB53-448A-A74A-BC7FE4F78713.thumb.jpeg.9152bc92d397e4999ecd2c387a07a2c0.jpeg

https://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/Comics/SetGallery.aspx?PeopleSetID=119612

Wanted to provide an update. This is STILL the lone 9.8 and I am still one book short… Adventures of Superman  499 3rd printing… HELP!!

Having said that, I’ve been pretty committed to finishing this set. Before I got the 9.8 I had put together eight more copies of this book that I thought had a shot (they are relatively easy to find, and inexpensive).  One of them was a 9.6 CPR that I took out of the pack myself, and which is still the best copy I’ve ever seen, I can only assume it is one of the 9.6’s I just got back. This is not to mention the other three I had previously submitted.  I sent the eight off through CCS while the 9.8 was still in process. Just received the eight back and man am I glad I already had the 9.8!  I’m also glad these were paid with the grading credit I got this year!

D00C7315-D8F2-410D-8069-25CC31B0DE2B.thumb.jpeg.3569e17c6e8362fcacb419cc982b03db.jpeg

Spoiler

7CB174CA-5514-4D03-84D5-846CD53C5268.thumb.jpeg.4b24c869a624e64f05deb1ebcb4ba9ae.jpeg

It’s okay to laugh!  I am REALLY glad I like this book!

On 8/25/2021 at 6:41 PM, Iconic1s said:

At least with this one I was able to swing two 9.8’s through my own submissions… still the only two I believe.  I bought one of the 9.6’s on eBay intending on doing CPR but never did…

9C8DD7BF-CD11-4E9E-84AB-C98116F539EA.thumb.jpeg.7353ea9522d23a0530f5a30a67f88387.jpeg

Do you have multiple copies of JLA #71? (:

On 8/25/2021 at 8:25 PM, Iconic1s said:

Wanted to provide an update. This is STILL the lone 9.8 and I am still one book short… Adventures of Superman  499 3rd printing… HELP!!

Having said that, I’ve been pretty committed to finishing this set. Before I got the 9.8 I had put together eight more copies of this book that I thought had a shot (they are relatively easy to find, and inexpensive).  One of them was a 9.6 CPR that I took out of the pack myself, and which is still the best copy I’ve ever seen, I can only assume it is one of the 9.6’s I just got back. This is not to mention the other three I had previously submitted.  I sent the eight off through CCS while the 9.8 was still in process. Just received the eight back and man am I glad I already had the 9.8!  I’m also glad these were paid with the grading credit I got this year!

D00C7315-D8F2-410D-8069-25CC31B0DE2B.thumb.jpeg.3569e17c6e8362fcacb419cc982b03db.jpeg

Hide contents

7CB174CA-5514-4D03-84D5-846CD53C5268.thumb.jpeg.4b24c869a624e64f05deb1ebcb4ba9ae.jpeg

It’s okay to laugh!  I am REALLY glad I like this book!

This really makes me feel good.  I'm not the only totally insane guy out there in my pursuit of perfection.