• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Death of Superman and Reign of Supermen - all issues and variants
13 13

404 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Found this set of 3rd prints. Was there a set of these sold by retailers? Are any of these rare?20191019_160539.thumb.jpg.f8f686c5065095cc2178b8c7b423c3a4.jpg

Nice books!

I believe all of the books pictured were ordered and sold at Comic Shops when released. As for rarity, they are not, but difficult to find in high grade. 

Edited by Brandon Shepherd

53 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Found this set of 3rd prints. Was there a set of these sold by retailers? Are any of these rare?20191019_160539.thumb.jpg.f8f686c5065095cc2178b8c7b423c3a4.jpg

These actually came from the Funeral for a Friend Collector's Set. Which can still be found relatively cheap, but as Brandon stated it's the High grade that is harder to come by , due to being sold and wrapped as they were plus all have the black surround on the covers.20191019_160620.thumb.jpg.ed23a154515ccd0b31e2f7825bdc82d7.jpg20191019_160628.thumb.jpg.5a538424249b23ef77e0569570faf8f3.jpg

On 10/19/2019 at 5:11 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

These actually came from the Funeral for a Friend Collector's Set. Which can still be found relatively cheap, but as Brandon stated it's the High grade that is harder to come by , due to being sold and wrapped as they were plus all have the black surround on the covers.20191019_160620.thumb.jpg.ed23a154515ccd0b31e2f7825bdc82d7.jpg20191019_160628.thumb.jpg.5a538424249b23ef77e0569570faf8f3.jpg

Nice to know!  My copies are pretty nice, NM to NM- so I guess I can trade these if someone needs these for their collection.  PM me if anyone needs these.

Edited by Wolverinex

17 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Found a 498 DCU 3rd print today, but it was beat to hell, but I still bought too. 
Cant let a rare book go like that even as a beater lol.

Are you sure it's a 498 3rd print DCU?  The 498 3rd print is not DCU, it's the 498 4th print that has the DC Universe logo.  Maybe you meant 499 3rd?  If you really do have 498 3rd print with DCU would love to see that!

9 hours ago, Iconic1s said:

Are you sure it's a 498 3rd print DCU?  The 498 3rd print is not DCU, it's the 498 4th print that has the DC Universe logo.  Maybe you meant 499 3rd?  If you really do have 498 3rd print with DCU would love to see that!

It doesn't exist.

Concerning  rarity, the books on the pedestal, the crown jewels, our grails, etc, it's Action Comics #686 Second Printing, Adventures of Superman #499 Third Printing and Superman: The Man of Steel #20 Second Printing.  

Aren't Adventures of Superman #498 Fourth Printing and Superman #77 Third Printing just as rare?

2 hours ago, Brandon Shepherd said:

Concerning  rarity, the books on the pedestal, the crown jewels, our grails, etc, it's Action Comics #686 Second Printing, Adventures of Superman #499 Third Printing and Superman: The Man of Steel #20 Second Printing.  

Aren't Adventures of Superman #498 Fourth Printing and Superman #77 Third Printing just as rare?

I do believe that all of them are Rare , as all of them (with the exception of Adventures of Superman 498 fourth print ) were only found in the 2 packs.  Where it was found in both the 2 packs and in the Funeral for a Friend Boxed Set . 

As far as those DCU I would place the order of rarity along the lines of most to least Rare being

Action Comics 686 second.

Superman Man of Steel 20 second

Adventures of Superman 499 third

Superman 77 third

Adventures of Superman 498 fourth

Although easily I could see the top 4 really being interchangeable. Seems to depend on region and amount circulated. What seems to be harder for one person to find in an area may not be as hard for someone else in another.  The real challenge with any of these is finding them in high grade due to dark covers and the packs they were sold in.

4 hours ago, Brandon Shepherd said:

No. I think we've mentioned this before....AOS #499, Action #686, and MOS #20 are the kings, while AOS #498 and Supes #77 are at least a tier down....silver medal, if you will...

5 minutes ago, Bibbo said:

Anyone have a copy of Action 687 Newstand CGC 9.8 they'd be willing to part with?  Cover below for reference...

Action-Comics-687-B_zps4zsfftrn.jpg

When you say "newsstand" do you mean that the UPC box needs to have the barcode lines (not like your picture),

Action Comics (1938 series) #687 NEWSSTAND

or are you saying "newsstand" meaning "standard cover, not the die-cut deluxe edition" and the UPC box needs to say "The Funeral Is Over!" (like your picture)?

Sometime in the mid-1990s, comic price guides incorrectly started using "newsstand" for "standard cover" when the "deluxe covers" were also being issued. 

Both deluxe and standard covers can be direct editions, but direct editions cannot be newsstands. :foryou:

Edited by valiantman

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

When you say "newsstand" do you mean that the UPC box needs to have the barcode lines (not like your picture), or are you saying "newsstand" meaning "standard cover, not the die-cut deluxe edition" and the UPC box needs to say "The Funeral Is Over!"?

Somewhere in the mid-1990s, comic price guides incorrectly started using "newsstand" for "standard cover" when the "deluxe covers" were coming out.  Both deluxe and standard covers can be direct editions, but direct editions cannot be newsstands. :foryou:

I'm looking for the "The Funeral is Over!" version.  I'm glad you said that, I've always been a bit confused as to what the difference is between the "direct" and "newstand" editions, as I've seen folks refer to both the UPC and text boxes in both contexts of each.  Can be super confusing when you're searching.

4 minutes ago, Bibbo said:
8 minutes ago, valiantman said:

When you say "newsstand" do you mean that the UPC box needs to have the barcode lines (not like your picture), or are you saying "newsstand" meaning "standard cover, not the die-cut deluxe edition" and the UPC box needs to say "The Funeral Is Over!"?

Somewhere in the mid-1990s, comic price guides incorrectly started using "newsstand" for "standard cover" when the "deluxe covers" were coming out.  Both deluxe and standard covers can be direct editions, but direct editions cannot be newsstands. :foryou:

I'm looking for the "The Funeral is Over!" version.  I'm glad you said that, I've always been a bit confused as to what the difference is between the "direct" and "newstand" editions, as I've seen folks refer to both the UPC and text boxes in both contexts of each.  Can be super confusing when you're searching.

I doubt if it will ever get completely cleared up, but I'm glad that was helpful.  I was also confused for a long time.

For Action Comics #687 there are three versions:

Die-cut deluxe (direct edition) - green cover, no barcode box

Standard cover (direct edition) - $1.50 orange cover, "The Funeral Is Over!" in the barcode box

Standard cover (newsstand) - $1.50 orange cover, UPC barcode lines in the barcode box

Unfortunately for those who are searching for a particular version, sellers often use "newsstand" as the description of both the orange covers, when the thing they have in common is "standard".  Maybe the one with the barcode lines should be called newsstandard. lol

5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I doubt if it will ever get completely cleared up, but I'm glad that was helpful.  I was also confused for a long time.

For Action Comics #687 there are three versions:

Die-cut deluxe (direct edition) - green cover, no barcode box

Standard cover (direct edition) - $1.50 orange cover, "The Funeral Is Over!" in the barcode box

Standard cover (newsstand) - $1.50 orange cover, UPC barcode lines in the barcode box

Unfortunately for those who are searching for a particular version, sellers often use "newsstand" as the description of both the orange covers, when the thing they have in common is "standard".  Maybe the one with the barcode lines should be called newsstandard. lol

Ha! 

When looking for these books I typically will include a photo of the edition I'm looking for just to avoid confusion. Death & Return books have been the gift that keeps on giving in regard to discovering new and rare versions, a great example being the Superman #82 2nd print shown above.

A good deal of the confusion stems from the fact that several retailers across the nation *only* ordered the deluxe versions of these books...since they represented a higher profit per unit sold...and did not order the "regular" or "standard" covers. Since that meant a lot of buyers would only see the regular cover as a newsstand copy, some people got it into their heads that the regular covers were only distributed on the newsstands.

...and when that was repeated by the national price guides, it stuck. It's an excellent example of why misinformation can become entrenched, and get repeated by generations of collectors, while it takes a considerable effort to unlearn it.

10 hours ago, Bibbo said:

Anyone have a copy of Action 687 Newstand CGC 9.8 they'd be willing to part with?  Cover below for reference...

Action-Comics-687-B_zps4zsfftrn.jpg

I have an extra but would only be interested in trading for another 9.8 book I need for my set.  If you are interested please take a look at my set and let me know if you have anything to trade that I don't already have 9.8.

(I think we traded in the past when I had the two 9.6 Platinum Editions)

14C6A0F8-D3BC-413A-A4B9-99AD657C58EC.jpeg