• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crom! How high will it go?

59 posts in this topic

Nothing special with this issue. Its inked by Alfredo Alcala and pages inked over John do well for more than other inkers over JB. Though not this much. I am amazed this has gone so high. While I really like Alcala inks I prefer JB over himself. My portfolio piece is looking like a better deal ever day.

Unless someone needs this piece to finish putting together the book, and even then I'm not sure I would have pegged the entire book at 10K, not sure how to explain what look like two legit bidders and one potential shill, but something is going on here to motivate the bids beyond the realm of reason, just not sure what that is.

Definitely an outlier, but there's been some odd happenings recently with Buscema Conan pages. Very wild price swings and extremes between pages of similar quality and content.

Several recent examples on ebay in the 1.5 - 2.5K range, and in the $3K+ price point on Heritage.

Then again, other pages sell for $500. Very difficult to figure out this segment of the market. (shrug)

My experience is that good Alcala inked pages typically sell for $2000-3500 these days. Because this is a semi-splash, I could see this going towards the high end (or potentially a little more).

If someone wants the page, they're sometimes willing to pay over market - pushing the prices higher. There aren't that many Alcala inked issues and a few people that primarily focus on those issues. As this is fresh to market, I can see why there's competition.

By the way, (John) Buscema OA stuff on Clink is already showing strong prices. The Silver Surfer stuff, Conan, etc…

Mebbe its just me, but perhaps people are collectively coming together with their thoughts that he should be considered one of the Marvel’s artistic pillars and his artwork is therefore cheap in comparison to the other pillars:

-Kirby

-Ditko

-Romita Sr

Just thinking aloud...

By the way, (John) Buscema OA stuff on Clink is already showing strong prices. The Silver Surfer stuff, Conan, etc…

Mebbe its just me, but perhaps people are collectively coming together with their thoughts that he should be considered one of the Marvel’s artistic pillars and his artwork is therefore cheap in comparison to the other pillars:

-Kirby

-Ditko

-Romita Sr

Just thinking aloud...

I would always put Buscema ahead of Romita Sr.

Buscema is clearly in that category. I was just telling a friend that the other day. Surfer, ASM, FF then Subby and Conan prices are going to see escalations. It makes sense. The guy was amazing. His Surfer was better than Kirby's, giving him that smooth, noble, and graceful qualities of a God that have come to define the character over time.

Buscema is clearly in that category. I was just telling a friend that the other day. Surfer, ASM, FF then Subby and Conan prices are going to see escalations. It makes sense. The guy was amazing. His Surfer was better than Kirby's, giving him that smooth, noble, and graceful qualities of a God that have come to define the character over time.

A Hari sighting! lol

+1 by the way. Except for the Surfer part. Apples and oranges comparing the two versions. I love those early Kirby FF appearances, and as HUGE a fan of those Buscema SS issues, Stan started writing him as a bit of a wimp. But your mileage may vary.

On the Buscema/Alcala page, I used to always think that Alcala was way too heavy handed and obliterated the Buscema. Super elegant and almost Wrightson looking inks, but just buries the Buscema aesthetic. But I've learned to appreciate it over the years. Buscema/Chan Conan on the other hand is like nails on a chalkboard IMHO.

Scott

Don't forget his work on Thor.

:hi: Hari, I think that traditionally prices have supported Buscema's Surfer run as being a peak period for his art, especially the interiors. JB is, as Scott eluded to heavily dependent on who inked him, with Buscema self inked being highly sought after and my personal favorite.

The Alcada only doing a few Savage Sword issues, or what ever, the 8,600 is in Kirby Sinnot territory and :insane: for that piece IMO. It has to be the first issue for, or have some other significance to someone with means for it to go that high.

2c