• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Minneapolis May 3rd & 4th 2014

12 posts in this topic

More links on this:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/14/wizard-world-accused-of-starting-con-wars-again-in-minnesota/

http://multiversitycomics.com/news/wizard-world-creates-new-con-war-against-the-mcba/

I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing at all for the Twin Cities. While this "non-profit" has been consistent with putting their show on, they have had no competition for a number of years now, and it shows. The Wizard brand might be able to bring in some notable guests, more dealers, and more patrons. It looks like it might be 3 days long from the booking as well. I think the convention center downtown is a good venue choice as well, especially if this will be a bigger event as one would think.

Slimy tactics for sure, but maybe it will spark some change with the plateau the MCBA has been on.

same is going on in Cincy. City is big enough for a great spring and a great fall show, but the new guys in town are holding it one week before the established show.

The bit in this story where they make it sound like the MCBA doesn't know where the email from "Fredric Wertham" came from is weird. That's where I always get notices of MCBA events and newsworthy bits.

... has been kind enough to state that while he does not know who “Fredric Wertham” is or where this e-mail is coming from ...

This is GREAT! ....And also really sad :(

It's really a bummer that they had to be seemingly deceptive/ignorant of the local con. I've enjoyed Springcon the last several years and would gladly welcome another event which might have the connections to bring a number of bigger names than we generally see at Springcon. But it just feels crappy to support something that rolls over the top of a long standing local tradition )(especially one of such great quality). Wizard, why not schedule it in the fall instead of trying to force out our local favorite? :tonofbricks:

I do have to say regardless, the air conditioning of the Mlps convention center will be VERY welcome...

I do have to say regardless, the air conditioning of the Mlps convention center will be VERY welcome...

True. I won't have to smell your Batman costume BO. :jokealert: