• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM FF 48

16 posts in this topic

This seems like the commonest book in collector-dom. I've had this book for many years. There's two smallish pieces of tape on the inside of the front cover at the staples, which must have been removed and re-inserted after the tape was put on. I suspect that at one time one of the staples was popped through the front cover. Also one smallish piece of tape at the lower staple at the centrefold inside. Very unobtrusive. No aging or discoloration of the tape. Nice white pages.

Thanks, in advance for your guesses on the grade. Again, I'm thinking of slabbing it. Not sure that I should, given how many copies are out there.

ff48_fr_zps9386f8a9.jpg

ff48_back_zps7a63936b.jpg

We almost need to see the tape. 5.5 ???

Yeah, I understand. Trouble is, I only have a scanner (that I'm good at using), and a digital camera I don't have any success at using . . . and I don't want to put stress on the book by holding it open with one hand and fumbling with my cell phone with the other.

I have decided to submit the book to CGC. Thanks for your guesses at the grade.

:wishluck:

6.0/6.5 without considering the tape/staple issue, which will bring it down. This is a tough call due to that issue, so my grades are based on just the front/back scan.

Others will chime in with an opinion on the tape/staple issue. Typically, a popped staple will drop it down to no more than a 4.5, so you can see this is a tough call.

I’d be interested in hearing the actual grade, because I have a pair of otherwise very nice book which I restapled after an archival tape repair of this kind (mine had a single popped staple, but you get the picture).

I have another pair which would be VFNM if not for the popped staple, and was thinking to fix them. I do not mean to slab them anyway, but just wished to know which grade I should assign. :)

OK, I will give the actual grade after the status goes from "Graded/Quality Control" to "Shipped/Safe."

Yesterday they took down even the "Qualified" or "Universal" designations on the various books in that order.

I swear I don't know why CGC feels they cannot release book information to the book's owner after the graders are done.

The handling of information seems to hit-or-miss down there.

:news:

Drumroll . . . .

My FF 48 got a Qualified (Green) label, 6.5 OW-W "Staples replaced. Tape on interior cover and centerfold."

I'm neither pleased or displeased. It was about what I expected. Most of the other 14 books in my order got higher grades than what I expected, a few lower.

Still don't have the FF48 in hand but the order status was updated today on the website.

Tha-tha-that's all folks!

:ohnoez: