• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detroit Fan Fare Anyone? Anyone? October 25-27

19 posts in this topic

I am planning to attend! Taking a break from Mid-Ohio this year (admission price keeps going through the roof)! I am kind of sad, since I have been a regular attendee of Mid-Ohio since at least 1996, but hopefully this will be a lower priced, just as good alternative. Fingers crossed!

I'm THERE.

Gotta love a show in a hotel, a two minute stroll to the bar and restaurant, just right for a midafternoon toddy when your feet get sore, lol

Bring along all that junk clogging up the back room, I'm in the market for lowgrade gold and silver, and all the offbrand stuff from Gold Key and Dell to Harvey and Charlton.

Starting to get geeked about the show, we leave early Friday AM for set up.

Don't forget, if you have weird stuff or old stuff or low grade stuff you want to clear out of the back room, drag it along. I'm cheap, but I'll buy pretty much ANYTHING pre-1970.

Dig that short box of lowgrade Westerns and Charltons and Fawcetts out of the corner and turn them back into cash.

Look for the coot in the brown Fedora and ugly Hawaiian shirt, that's me!

Right!

Loading up tonight, set up is tomorrow AM, show opens for evening hours! Friday evening from 6PM until 9, all day Saturday and Sunday. Consider this to be the last HOTFLIPS countdown, lol

Did this show happen? Yes.

Steve Geppi was there and there seemed to be a lot of really cool original art on sale as a result. On Friday I walked over to that booth and Ethan Van Sciver was there looking at it. I overheard "I can't believe they use to work this big back than" - There was a AF 15 signed by Stan on display as well as Teenage Reformed Girl so it was really cool.

Towards my niche of modern wildly_fanciful_statement books, it wasn't the greatest for buying - some cool golden / silver but I mean it wasn't spectacular.

Jeff Smith is the nicest guy. After the show I went out for a smoke, it was really dark outside, and someone just started talking to me. "well have a good night." "Wait, arn't you Jeff Smith?!" He was, and than he talked to me about Battling Boy, Becky Cloonan among other things.

Than I went to the Shel Dorf awards Friday night. I never realized how much I hated mallrats until I watched Brian O'Halloran talk for longer than five minutes.

My only complaint was the drink tickets. I checked into the hotel and they gave me four drink tickets, I picked up by show passes and they gave me four drink tickets. I could have stayed friday and saturday night but I decided not to based on the sheer embarrassment of requesting house cleaning to come clean my room. (I did leave $20 for them.)

I picked this book up and also drove into a car in a parking lot saturday morning / afternoon on my way home - so my car won't forget the show anytime soon as it as some nice shark bite like intend corner damage.

IMG_0015_zpsbf41c3d9.jpg