• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

Looks more like a good way to score a really nice SS book and offload some quarter books.

I don't know. Bundled together those quarter books are instantly worth a couple of bucks as sets...

Its offers like this that keeps me from participating.

It's the 180+ pages of drama here that keep me from participating.

In general, the best way to send stuff overseas to soldiers, is to ask someone you know who serves. Chances are they are deployed or know someone who is. I used to send comics to my cousin when he was in Alaska, then Afghanistan, its nice if you send them full arcs, tpb's, or if you send them on a regular basis, the next issues month after month. it lets them have something to look forward to or feel like home. BUT increasingly, they get digital comics now too for them to read on their computers or tablets. So you can donate digital codes too. But its not like the 1960's where they'll be happy with a box full of random crappy comics. They appreciate the effort, but they do have other options now (they trade HQ bootleg movies like they trade cigarettes).

IF you don't know someone in the military, you can try to go to an organization, but its probably easier to go meet your local military recruiter. They will know local soldiers (from your area) and put you in touch with them, and they will know to come back and kick your if you send something other than what you say you're sending. Unless you desperately need the tax write-off, i would suggest this route. Its faster, easier, and more direct.

would also recommend the USO at the airport... soldiers and their families utilize those facilities~

There is a thread somewhere on the site that talks about sending comics to soldiers. I wanted to do it before but I remember there being a lot of rules at the time and it was a bit complicated. Can the site gurus find it?

We sent things from the board when Paratrooper was stationed overseas. We sent things to his troop.

It depends where they are stationed, but basically, it was no nudity. I don't think moderns will work well. There were also storage issues with comics. Remember these men and women are not living in luxury hotels, they have very little storage space.

We sent monthly packages and stuff at Christmas, but we sent baby wipes, and food, dvds.

What they really wanted was toiletries, stuff from hotels, soaps, shampoos, that kind of stuff. There are plenty of organizations that do collections if you don't know someone personally.

Looks more like a good way to score a really nice SS book and offload some quarter books.

I don't know. Bundled together those quarter books are instantly worth a couple of bucks as sets...

Don't understand this statement. I'd understand it if the offer was for a couple issues of a ton of mini series - who wants to try to read or sell part of a series. But series like Claws and other wolverine like it seemed to be selling all day at pretty much every con or on E-Bay for a $8-$10 for the set. I'd love to be able to read some of the marvel zombie series for cheap and they always sell easily for a set. Maybe the offer was not for everyone but I'd take a ton of nice relavent reading material over a lot of other stuff.

Don't understand this statement. I'd understand it if the offer was for a couple issues of a ton of mini series - who wants to try to read or sell part of a series. But series like Claws and other wolverine like it seemed to be selling all day at pretty much every con or on E-Bay for a $8-$10 for the set. I'd love to be able to read some of the marvel zombie series for cheap and they always sell easily for a set. Maybe the offer was not for everyone but I'd take a ton of nice relavent reading material over a lot of other stuff.

In VF/NM they are selling for $10 a set? Take Claws for example...it was only 3 issues.

It's a tough sell at $5 a set.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLAWS-II-1-3-SET-VF-NM-WOLVERINE-AND-THE-BLACK-CAT-/151614577683?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234ceedc13

You can get the TPB at the same con for at least 1/2 off at the same convention for $3-7 bucks

Honestly, I think it's the fact that these were book the person had been actively trying to sell and couldn't sell....and the feeling was he got one book he could easily sell for $80-100 in exchange for stuff he couldn't move and would have to work hard to make the same cash from and maybe still wouldn't get there. That's the way it seemed anyway.

VF/NM moderns were great for reading before every single series got it's own tpb and before every distributor started handing out all their back/over stock for 50 cents to a dollar each which allowed convention dealers to offer them for 50-70% off cover.

In VF/NM they are selling for $10 a set? Take Claws for example...it was only 3 issues.

It's a tough sell at $5 a set.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLAWS-II-1-3-SET-VF-NM-WOLVERINE-AND-THE-BLACK-CAT-/151614577683?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234ceedc13

You can get the TPB at the same con for at least 1/2 off at the same convention for $3-7 bucks

Honestly, I think it's the fact that these were book the person had been actively trying to sell and couldn't sell....and the feeling was he got one book he could easily sell for $80-100 in exchange for stuff he couldn't move and would have to work hard to make the same cash from and maybe still wouldn't get there. That's the way it seemed anyway.

VF/NM moderns were great for reading before every single series got it's own tpb and before every distributor started handing out all their back/over stock for 50 cents to a dollar each which allowed convention dealers to offer them for 50-70% off cover.

Good points. I like limited series so I'm biased.

I am torn on this one. Under normal circumstances I would agree with 1cool. I love picking out runs or sets of comics and it was a pick 80 so it wasnt a few trades thing. Like Comix said though, it had the appearance of evil so to speak, because it was pointed out that it was leftover unsold stock from the VCC and was even listed that it was ok to resell them. That gave me the impression that its ok to sell mine because im going to sell this one. Not saying thats what happened but I got that impresssion right or wrong.

hey all -

this is why I was offering this as one option - then others that were added -

So people understand my thought process - I am one of those engineering types - I do some level of analysis in most activities. My brain is wired that way -

My intent was to be in the ballpark of the offer I claimed. I estimated 80 from a GPA sale (was listed was signed with notation or something like that). Also wanted to get a few items out quickly for comment as I am new and wanted to make sure there was time for adjustment (I also see these comments - even the negative ones - as useful).

The first and easiest offer was the bulk lot of mini series. I know that many do not like them - but it was fast and easy and I know that I would be able to get at least $80 of value in there. I can easily fill a box with sets that currently sell for at least $1 a book on ebay - heck even marvel apes go for $1 a book. What was pictured was a drop in the bucket as far as what I have in that vein. If someone had claimed that one - they would have received 80+ books (I would have thrown in whatever extras would fit). If no claim by the evening - I would have added a lot more to the mini series list so people could have seen the various sets available. I may not have been clear enough - but I probably have more than 100 options available.

The first offer - was geared more toward a flipper - I know. That is why I added some more single books.A couple RAW - and the slabbed DD 8. I was at the day job - so my options were limited to what I could pull down from my ebay listings.

I am not surprised the DD 8 went - it was a decent book and in the value neighborhood (last GPA was $70 I believe).

IF the DD did not go - I would have listed at least one more slab - and then asked for more advice in the discussion thread as to what raws might make sense. I have a wide stock of what I consider "sell/trade" books - but the group here can be picky at times (not a bad thing).

later

Dave

It's the 180+ pages of drama here that keep me from participating.

^^

hey all -

So people understand my thought process - I am one of those engineering types - I do some level of analysis in most activities. My brain is wired that way -

My intent was to be in the ballpark of the offer I claimed. I estimated 80 from a GPA sale (was listed was signed with notation or something like that). Also wanted to get a few items out quickly for comment as I am new and wanted to make sure there was time for adjustment (I also see these comments - even the negative ones - as useful).

The first and easiest offer was the bulk lot of mini series. I know that many do not like them - but it was fast and easy and I know that I would be able to get at least $80 of value in there. I can easily fill a box with sets that currently sell for at least $1 a book on ebay - heck even marvel apes go for $1 a book. What was pictured was a drop in the bucket as far as what I have in that vein. If someone had claimed that one - they would have received 80+ books (I would have thrown in whatever extras would fit). If no claim by the evening - I would have added a lot more to the mini series list so people could have seen the various sets available. I may not have been clear enough - but I probably have more than 100 options available.

The first offer - was geared more toward a flipper - I know. That is why I added some more single books.A couple RAW - and the slabbed DD 8. I was at the day job - so my options were limited to what I could pull down from my ebay listings.

I am not surprised the DD 8 went - it was a decent book and in the value neighborhood (last GPA was $70 I believe).

IF the DD did not go - I would have listed at least one more slab - and then asked for more advice in the discussion thread as to what raws might make sense. I have a wide stock of what I consider "sell/trade" books - but the group here can be picky at times (not a bad thing).

later

Dave

I thought the offer was ok. Not the best thing ever, but the volume made up for it. Its not for everyone, but at least you could see SOMEONE out there who might be interested. Someone who loves mini's, and/or someone who does well selling them at their store or their con. If had more free time I wouldn't have minded picking them up and getting hours of reading enjoyment of short, complete stories, then flipping them.

I think the reason for the 'no talking about value' rule is that some people can immediately deride a potential 'ok' offer, and people who might otherwise have claimed it and be happy, will choose not to take the offer, thus slowing down the thread, and making more people unhappy. I realize there's a danger the other way too (junk donkey). I'm just saying, value (not just pure financial) can be subjective.

For example: 100 comics worth of completed mini's that might sell for $50-100 online is worth a lot more to me than 500 random comics that will sell for 50cents per at a con, at least in terms of PIF. I don't sell at cons, and I wouldn't read 500 random comics. I can make temporary space for 100 comics, but not permanent space for 500 in my house.

I am torn on this one. Under normal circumstances I would agree with 1cool. I love picking out runs or sets of comics and it was a pick 80 so it wasnt a few trades thing. Like Comix said though, it had the appearance of evil so to speak, because it was pointed out that it was leftover unsold stock from the VCC and was even listed that it was ok to resell them. That gave me the impression that its ok to sell mine because im going to sell this one. Not saying thats what happened but I got that impresssion right or wrong.

I gave a more detailed explanation of my thought process a sec ago- but I probably should have been more descriptive in the initial offer- the images I used were from VCC - but I have a LOT more options for sets that were not initially listed. I did not get a chance to list more as one of the other offers was claimed.

couple of examples of others I have -

DC

rann-thanagar holy war 1-8

Cyborg 1-6

Superman/Supergirl Maelstrom 1-5

Flashpoint Hal Jordan 1-3

Dead Romeo 1-6 (DC)

Stephen King Dark Tower - Treachery 1-6

MARVEL

Daredevil Noir Variant Edition 1-4

Punisher presents Barracuda 1-5

Powerless 1-6

Marvel Spectacular - Assistant Sized 1-2

X Men Life and TImes of Lucas Bishop 1-3

Dark Reign Zodiac 1-3

New Universal 1-6

The ones I listed at the VCC - were the first I pulled form the boxes that had multiples. So while leftover stock is a fair comment - it would really have taken a LOT of sales for there to not be leftover stock. Even the list above is a drop in the bucket.

I wanted to get a quick initial offer up so there could be discussion - and also added more individual book options quickly after I saw a couple of the first comments (I was going to do this anyway later - but decided to make a quick update so I would not be placed on the donkey list prematurely).

Also - I LIKE the discussion of this - it helps me to tune offers in the event I claim another PIF.

An in case there is any question - the book I claimed is for my personal collection. Not for resale.

hey all -

later

Dave

Ugh! Another Engineer in the mix. I already used the "its just how I think" line so you will have to get your own.

With the new De-facto rule change I can't see why anyone would be hesitant to accept an offer. Simply say in your offer that you will not allow X, Y and Z to accept your offer and you decide if the donkey's get to accept your offer. People just need to be vocal about the offer right after yours and decline to give a person your offer if you think the proceeding offer smells like a donkey. Everyone has different taste but I think most people can tell if an offer is coming from the heart. We have used the old "no one will claim it and then it will revert back to my offer so why should I care" aditude for way too long. Donkey's find huge loop holes with that kind of indifference.

People get so hung up on not wanting to be the bad guy they let the donkeys just keep playing their games. If you are unsure who you want to not claim your option then ask a person you feel you have dealt with before and trust. If you know nobody then I suggest you hang out on the boards for a bit before grabbing an offer.

Ugh! Another Engineer in the mix. I already used the "its just how I think" line so you will have to get your own.

its a sickness

:kidaround:

--- and for all --- I do appreciate the civil discussion on this - I am not a total newb to the boards anymore - but I am to the PIF thread. The intent was always to add more offers as I know that there are many different opinions on what is a good PIF offer - given how quick the one went I would think I am not in donkey land.

Also - if the current person does not get their offer through and it reverts back to me -

I will add more to the mix to make sure it is worthwhile.

Some of my best friends are engineers, so I won't hold it against you. :baiting:

The key to PIF offers is that if they don't move, then offer up something that will. It doesn't take an engineer to figure out if an offer sits for a day or two, it probably won't be taken. I've noticed that some offers pop up over and over. If it wasn't taken the previous times, what makes you think it will be taken if you put it up again. And again.

A lot more activity in here than the PIF. Thoughts on the current offer?

Since you asked. I don't see anyone scrambling to get books that are borderline books that should not be in a slab. The X-Men 133 and Punisher 1 are the two best books but I'd guess most people are looking for 9.0 or better in the X-Men and 9.4 or better in the Punisher 1 if they wanted to keep em or sell them. The Daredevil 8 is quickly getting hotter for some reason (possibly due to the daredevil show) so I don't see your offers being in line popularity wise with the book you claimed. But I also think your offers are a valid attempt at finding someone who wants a start up slab and those people are around. I'd keep adding offers that you are comfortable with until your time expires but I've got a ton of books so you may be running out of offers. Hope this helps.

A lot more activity in here than the PIF. Thoughts on the current offer?

Since you asked. I don't see anyone scrambling to get books that are borderline books that should not be in a slab. The X-Men 133 and Punisher 1 are the two best books but I'd guess most people are looking for 9.0 or better in the X-Men and 9.4 or better in the Punisher 1 if they wanted to keep em or sell them. The Daredevil 8 is quickly getting hotter for some reason (possibly due to the daredevil show) so I don't see your offers being in line popularity wise with the book you claimed. But I also think your offers are a valid attempt at finding someone who wants a start up slab and those people are around. I'd keep adding offers that you are comfortable with until your time expires but I've got a ton of books so you may be running out of offers. Hope this helps.

That's cool Thank you. I'll see what else I can find. I'm at work right now, so I'll have to see what pics I have on my phone for the time being.

so hey - I have read a lot here - but not all of the history

but a quick summary ( and feel free to comment here)

obviously - the intent of the PIF is so that people can trade out books/comic related items

system operates on honor system and open to abuse

People can profiteer by taking books of higher value - and then offering up lower value items. They may have help from a buddy claiming their low value books (then they can post offers that do not get taken and player 1 still gets the PIF).

Self policing (where the offer poster can refuse the :takeit: based on the next guys offers - seems problematic to me. Long standing boardies can pretty easily weather bad feelings - but a newb like me would be more hesitant to ding the next guy.

So - to me some options come to mind - but obviously these may have been discussed before -

1. More limitations to how often someone can claim - maybe even add time to how long an offer can be out there (more visibility to others?) . This would help reduce the problem - buy limiting how often the donkey can grab something.

2. Change the revert rules - so the second offer has to be claimed before one ships. So - I claimed an offer (offer 1) - my offer was claimed (offer 2) - but the next guys offer (offer 3) - is still out there. Now - if offer three is not taken - reverts back to me and offer 1 is NOT sent (then you can give me another week to have my offer taken). This has a little more self policing and less potential for a person and a buddy to abuse since two transactions are required.

3. I know that the value is not to be discussed in the main thread and it is an honor system - but has a minimum value range been proposed? Like the offers should be $50 or more FMV?

#2 is obviously more effort than #1 (really just for the tracking of it) - but might have better results.

The very best way would be to have a tracked list of participants and the a maintained PIF HOS/probation list - but that seems like a lot of work and individual effort.

later all